• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Notice from Insurance about Switching from Remicade to Biosimilar

Hey everybody. So today in the mail, I got a notice from my insurance that says that beginning February 1 next year, they are going to switch my Remicade to a biosimilar. I am very hesitant to switch since I have done so well on Remicade. They stated that unless there is approval by my doctor to stay on Remicade, they're going to switch me to a biosimilar. My concern from what I have read is that if I switch to a biosimilar and it isn't as effective as Remicade, I won't be necessarily able to switch back to Remicade due to antibody formation. Should I reach out to my doctor about this? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @awoenker12. It won't hurt to reach out to your doctor. This is also happening in a couple provinces in Canada. I have done some research, and it appears many don't notice any difference when switching. I understand though how you feel as my son is on Remicade and I also would feel the same way if they were to switch it to a biosimilar. Talk to your doctor at least, but I don't think they would be making these changes for people if biosimilars weren't effective. Glad you are doing well!

my little penguin

Staff member
Talk to your Gi - Gi would need to prove ira medically necessary to insurance for you to stay on remicade. But definitely have the conversation

Lady Organic

Staff member
I agree. When this is going to happen with Humira, I am going to ask my GI to remain on it, no substitute. I have heard research so far as shown there are no issues switching, but all of this is so early to know fully in the long run. It can often take a year or more for a relapse in IBD after a prolonged remission under treatment. Moreover, loss of response over time to any medication is common. I for one really prefer not to play with any variable involved in a treatment that works for me. I have had enough of that one bad experience after changing a medical plan 10 years ago that from now on, when something works, I wont play or modify it, unless I am forced to do it.