• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Number of Surgeries and type?

Hi all

In 2005 I had my first bowel resection removing 20cm large bowel, 20cm small bowel.

In 2012 I had my second bowel resection in which the surgeon removed 10cm small bowel and 3 strictureplasties

Now I sit in hospital I have just had my 3rd bowel resection Surgery accompanied with 7 strictureplasties.

Just wondering if I’m the only one that has had this many ops and if I’m doomed for more? Has someone else had this many ops and after finally found long lasting relief?

In 1989, i had two surgeries; one for hemorrhoids and one for a fistula. Two years later, i had the same abscess drained twice. Two years later, i had surgery for a fistula. Thirteen years later, i had a bowel resection. In the years since, I had one surgery on my scalp to remove a lesion which was caused as a reaction to Remicade. I also had a cancer in my scalp removed which may have been caused by imuran or sun exposure.

In 1989, i had two surgeries; one for hemorrhoids and one for a fistula. Two years later, i had the same abscess drained twice. Two years later, i had surgery for a fistula. Thirteen years later, i had a bowel resection. In the years since, I had one surgery on my scalp to remove a lesion which was caused as a reaction to Remicade. I also had a cancer in my scalp removed which may have been caused by imuran or sun exposure.

Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply, what you’ve been through really sucks! I hope you have long lasting remission from this crappy disease !

Bufford

I had my first surgery for two fistulas in 1984, they healed up poorly. 1987 I had a large abscess drained and it took a long time to heal and ended up returning as a fistula. Then in 1990 that same fistula erupted into another large painful abscess.

After that big one in 1990 I was determined to avoid getting another abscess and went great lengths to go slow on my bowels movements by avoiding pushing at all possible, this went on until 2001 when I got the big one that left me on a colostomy.

The pains were so bad that I wanted that colostomy surgery as badly as a brand new truck. Since then I have avoided surgery, but now with gallbladder problems I may have surgery for that in the near future- I hope. I want it out.

I had my first surgery for two fistulas in 1984, they healed up poorly. 1987 I had a large abscess drained and it took a long time to heal and ended up returning as a fistula. Then in 1990 that same fistula erupted into another large painful abscess.

After that big one in 1990 I was determined to avoid getting another abscess and went great lengths to go slow on my bowels movements by avoiding pushing at all possible, this went on until 2001 when I got the big one that left me on a colostomy.

The pains were so bad that I wanted that colostomy surgery as badly as a brand new truck. Since then I have avoided surgery, but now with gallbladder problems I may have surgery for that in the near future- I hope. I want it out.

Bufford

You’ve also been through so much surgery too! I hate surgery with a passion! I’m currently writing back to you fro a hospital bed recovering slowly from my current op. Unfortunately this time around the op was complicated, I got an infection around the resection site so healing has taken longer and it probably also means the site that had the infection will heal with much more adhesions which will probably cause so problems down the track. No wonder IBDers refer to us as ‘IBD warriors’, we’re always fighting battles!

Take care

Bufford

I may have to get my gallbladder removed after having had another bad attack. Campygut I hope you have a positive recovery after having gone through this. Its not much fun living in a hospital bed, the internet helps pass the time.