• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Numbers Do Not Lie: The Dire Need for New Directions in IBD

Wow! I've seen medicines reliance on biologics for IBD, even though they have 30-50% response rates and diminishing effectiveness over time. That leaves 50-70% of patients without any response at the outset, and those who do respond often have a short period of benefit. Given that IBD is a disease of activity and remission, its hard to be certain what effect these medications can claim. Given the increasing number of young people who are diagnosed with IBD, burn through his medications and end up with an ostomy at an early age, we seem to be producing a young generation of ostomates, much larger than we've seen in the past. Time for fresh ideas and funding outside the pharmaceutical companies.

Wow! I've seen medicines reliance on biologics for IBD, even though they have 30-50% response rates and diminishing effectiveness over time. That leaves 50-70% of patients without any response at the outset, and those who do respond often have a short period of benefit. Given that IBD is a disease of activity and remission, its hard to be certain what effect these medications can claim. Given the increasing number of young people who are diagnosed with IBD, burn through his medications and end up with an ostomy at an early age, we seem to be producing a young generation of ostomates, much larger than we've seen in the past. Time for fresh ideas and funding outside the pharmaceutical companies.
"Given that IBD is a disease of activity and remission, its hard to be certain what effect these medications can claim." 👈 absolutely.

Over ten years ago I was theorizing about the nature of drug development, the idea I coined was that there was no single substance that could reliably be used to fully suppress a disease. Maybe I had a point, but that's part of my approach to my own disease and health. This is generally the paradigm that the drug industry has been locked into, by the nature of creating a patented substance. So, for someone to say to look outside of the usual industry as a next course of action, well many already do that and it's called alternative health, but that's not very reliable either, even less so generally. Then again, this is how I became who I am and why fecal microbiota transplants have been a major focus for me.