• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Numbness in tongue

I dont know wether this has been discussed earlier or not.

For quite some time I have been feeling a little numbness in my tongue along with headache and confusion. I know this can happen due to vit B12 deficiency but i know these are also sign of pernicious anemia. what are the chances of CD sufferers to have pernicious anemia ?? can this be avoided by B12 supplements ?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had been reading up on migraines recently and numbness was mentioned (didn't say where, so I assume anywhere). I've had numbness on my tongue, chin and lips before randomly along with bad migraines. Never figured out the for sure cause of it all though because it doesn't happen often enough. If you find something let us know but I'm sure there are multiple causes for numbness.

Just got my B12 results 5 minutes ago..it says 508 pg/ml....which is well within the normal range. This is the second time I had to do this test as I doubted I was B12 deficient every time I had numbness of tongue along with headache, confusion and this feeling of tiredness.So am now sure it is not related to B12 in my case unless ofcourse the finding are wrong ( I heard blood tests for B12 do not give you the true picture of B12 deficiency).

I had been reading up on migraines recently and numbness was mentioned (didn't say where, so I assume anywhere). I've had numbness on my tongue, chin and lips before randomly along with bad migraines. Never figured out the for sure cause of it all though because it doesn't happen often enough. If you find something let us know but I'm sure there are multiple causes for numbness.
Crabby I have read your earlier posts and I have seen you have many issue similar to mine..for example random drop in blood pressure and now Migraines. I am currently in remission just like you but i always get these side effects of CD randomly. I guess I have to go to a neurologists to find out the answers. :boring:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Ya a Neurologist is a good start. I have no idea if anything I experience is Crohn's related but random stuff like the visual migraines, tongue numbness, and numbness in my back and left hip, dizzy spells etc (probably forgetting something) just don't seem to point in any particular direction. Every doc just orders tests and they all seem to come back fine. Things related to the heart and blood pressure are not fun at all. Every time you get it checked out all your tests are normal.

Doctor: "What are you doing here?"
Me: "My vision went black while driving."
Doctor: Runs tests.
Doctor: "Is your vision black now?"
Me: "No."
Doctor: "You're fine."

Only test that came back with semi interesting info was a CT scan of my head. The doctor comes back and says, "Did you know your nose was broken?" "What? No, but I can think of the day that might have happened..." Good work doc, thanks! :p

Sid, I always thought that B12 defiency was pernicious anemia. Are they two different things?
I think permicious anemia occurs when Intrinsic is not produced by the stomach. In many cases the Intrinsic factor is produced but still due to other reasons people are B12 deficient like in case of vegans like me and people who take less Non veg, and people who are lactose intolerant. Also due to malabsorption B12 is absorbed in very less amount leading to B12 deficiency.

But since you take regular B12 shots , you dont have to worry about Pernicious Anemia.

Ya a Neurologist is a good start. I have no idea if anything I experience is Crohn's related but random stuff like the visual migraines, tongue numbness, and numbness in my back and left hip, dizzy spells etc (probably forgetting something) just don't seem to point in any particular direction. Every doc just orders tests and they all seem to come back fine. Things related to the heart and blood pressure are not fun at all. Every time you get it checked out all your tests are normal.

Doctor: "What are you doing here?"
Me: "My vision went black while driving."
Doctor: Runs tests.
Doctor: "Is your vision black now?"
Me: "No."
Doctor: "You're fine."

Only test that came back with semi interesting info was a CT scan of my head. The doctor comes back and says, "Did you know your nose was broken?" "What? No, but I can think of the day that might have happened..." Good work doc, thanks! :p
you know what i think I am feeling much better now. the numbness is gone.

I havent been to the neurologists but I have narrowed down to few possible causes(if its not neurological). first I think it might be due to the gastritis...as the gas remains trapped, i feel heavy, pain in neck and other parts especially chest area..which might pinch the nerves leading to these symptoms...in fact i have noticed burping immediately gives me relief and then I feel the same until I ...burrp again :boring: .

Second it might be Migraines like in your case..cause everytime I have these problems, i also tend to suffer from migraine.

I have started jogging in the mroning and gym again along with yoga and meditation...am feeling so much better mentally..so these problems are actually not bothering me much which usually always caused panic attacks in the past.

And about the test..belive me or not..its the exact same story with me..apart from the Crohn's ..none of the tests ever came fruitful..sometimes I feel I get scared easily and go for these tests wasting so much of my money..especially since I already spend so much on my medicine..pentasa really burns a hole in your pocket. although its cheaper here compared to the west...due to the currency value.

I had (or have) pernicious anemia and get B12 injections. I first noticed something was wrong when i got (what i thought as) extremely unfit. I tried to start a running program but was exhausted by the neighbors gate. I had something like 50% of my normal haemoglobin.

I think permicious anemia occurs when Intrinsic is not produced by the stomach. In many cases the Intrinsic factor is produced but still due to other reasons people are B12 deficient like in case of vegans like me and people who take less Non veg, and people who are lactose intolerant. Also due to malabsorption B12 is absorbed in very less amount leading to B12 deficiency.

But since you take regular B12 shots , you dont have to worry about Pernicious Anemia.
Well, I am supposed to take them regularly, lol, but once again I am behind on it. Hard to remember to pick it up from the pharmacy during their hours, etc.

Well, I am supposed to take them regularly, lol, but once again I am behind on it. Hard to remember to pick it up from the pharmacy during their hours, etc.
thats easy..just keep an alarm on your mobile phone...for each week if you take it weekly or something like that...but make sure you take it..its very important as we all know it. I house is next to a medical store..thus its very easy for me.

Going to have them fill the script and pick it up tomorrow....and I will do that, Sid,thanks for that, forgot about doing that.