• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oatmeal - safe?

nogutsnoglory

Oatmeal does get mushy when boiled and microwaved but it still has hard pieces that can't be chewed through. I am told it is very healing to the bowel but worry about it getting stuck or knicking away at inflammation.

Are these allowed with stricture? do people here do well with oatmeal?

You could make oat milk. 1 cup rolled oats to 3 cups water, and a dash of salt. You can add some honey for sweetness, and some vanilla if you don't like the oat taste. Put it in a blender until smooth, then put it through a cheese cloth to strain it. I use it on cereal, it's no good heated.

I don’t know if I have a stricture, but I do buy the steel cut Irish oats (gluten free because of celiac disease) and don’t have any problem with it. I like it better than rolled oats because there aren’t big pieces of oats still in it (steel cut starts out much smaller) and I think it’s better for my intestines too.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I have a stricture and have experienced several obstructions because of it, but I've never had a problem with porridge. That said, being a student lacking in time (and patience!) I tend to go for the quick oats, which are ground more finely to cut down on the cooking time. It hasn't gotten stuck or caused any pain to me yet - quite the opposite, actually! It fills me up without making me feel bloated and gross. I miss granola, so I might give larger oats a try sometime, but if you're nervous about it I'd start with the more finely-ground stuff!

You could make oat milk. 1 cup rolled oats to 3 cups water, and a dash of salt. You can add some honey for sweetness, and some vanilla if you don't like the oat taste. Put it in a blender until smooth, then put it through a cheese cloth to strain it. I use it on cereal, it's no good heated.
That sounds like a good idea, I do the same thing with almonds to make almond milk, but never thought of doing it with oats before.

I think oatmeal should be fine for you, I've been doing overnight oats and that is quite pleasant for breakfast with some honey and fresh berries.

I've also tried oats in a breakfast smoothie where you add them to a blender with Greek yogurt, almond milk, banana, frozen berries, cinnamon, and chia seeds or flax seeds. This makes it like oat powder within your smoothie so it definitely wouldn't get stuck anywhere, and a satisfying breakfast.

nogutsnoglory

The oatmeal I got is pretty "porrigey" but I will look to see if there is another that is more mushy maybe in the baby section.

I thought steel cut by the name LOL would be worse but I will check that out if it might be smoother.

So far I have tried it twice and put more water and made sure it really boiled in there to get as mushy as possible.

I, like sever other have mentioned, like the Irish rolled oats. My husband will make a large batch once a week and when I get up in the morning, I just take a small amount and heat it up on the stove top till hot. Sometimes it starts out a little thick and i have to add moisture, usually milk, sometimes water. Once hat, I add a little natural honey for sweetness and voila! Healthy and hot breakfast in 15-ish minutes.

if i could tolerate oats i'd be looking at the finely cut ones (steel cut) and even put them in the blender first to cut finer again.
The other potential problem is that one of the main functions of the large intestine is to absorb water,and all the grain/starch meals can dry out and stop moving easily.
Upping the fluid content with stewed apple or similar (not milk) might help too