• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Off on holiday on Monday !!

I am off to Bulgaria for 2 weeks on Monday:)

I am really worried about taking the Crohn's away as I have always managed to holiday whilst leaving it at home:lol:

I asked the consultant who was really flippant about it all with conversation going like this:

Me: Can i go on holiday to Bulgaria ?

Him: I don't know do you have a ticket ?:ybatty:

Me: Am I still alright to go on holiday ?

Him: They have hospitals there don't they ?:ybatty:

My GP was much better and said to pay for the holiday and if things got worse he would write a letter to attempt to get the money back.

However I then see the registrar on Thursday and he said:

Me: I am going to Bulgaria on Monday

Him: Is that a good idea ?:ymad:

Anyway I am going - I have all my drugs, health insurance and also a letter outlining my current status which a friend has translated into Bulgarian. Also a credit card to pay for an emergency return flight if needed!!

Whenever we have gone abroad before i have never been in a flare up so i go off on holiday and take a load pr pred with me "just in case" - I always get loads of diarhoea when away as the Crohn's is not a fan of holidays:smile:

But i am already on 30g of pred.

Fingers crossed for me :smile:

My biggest concern is that we are on a night flight and there is a 1 hour coach transfer at 4am in the morning - well mornings are my major toilet time :depressed:

Anyway the kids are so excited they have been up t 5.30 am every day this week:ybatty: and we are all ready to pack now.

Hopefully the holiday will actually help me to get into remission as i have had a very stresful year and a holiday is just what i need !!

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi FruitLoop,

A doctor is very rarely going to be able to give you the perfect answer to the question of "Can I go on holiday?" and the reason actually makes a lot of sense. Think about what you would tell one of your children if they wanted to partake in any activity that you thought was dangerous. Sure they may not get hurt if they do it, but you are still scared knowing it is possible. Are you going to give them permission to do this activity? Your doctor will likely never be fully comfortable with you travelling, as they just can not control what will happen while you are out.

Based on this, you really need to decide what is right for you. I went to Florida (3+ hour flight from where I live) while I was under a really bad flair, and while I could only consume Boost while I was there and I had a bit of a painful flight on the way home due to bloating, it was over all worth the trip. Therefore I think it is worth going as long as you can truly enjoy yourself and will not have stress over going.

hey fruitloop i know what your going through. Im just back from a weeks holidays in Spain and the day before i left i was so close to cancelling the whole thing. I too was in the middle of a flair up, the doc ended up putting me on a course of steroids which got me through, really glad i went away. For me stepping out of my comfort zone can sometimes cause more problems than the Crohns itself but its always worth it, cant let it restricts us

i guess you're away right now then - hope you have a brilliant holiday, Fruitloop, with no annoyances from the Crohns. come back happy, relaxed, tanned and totally chilled. k? :D

What exactly is "holiday" I keep hearing of it on this forum and have just been assuming it's a national holiday....but it seems to be used as a catch all phrase for all off days...?

Like we have Memorial Day and Labor Day and Fourth of July etc......if one of us has it off, we just say "I have this _____ off" and fill in the blank with the correlating holiday, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc... If one were to say here "I have holiday next Friday" you'd always get a funny look and a "what holiday?" (even if it were the day of an actual holiday, you'd still get the look because of the way "holiday" is used like that, it'd be more like "I have that holiday next friday off" and then you get "You mean ______ Day?")

hi Benson - "holiday" just means vacation.. either going away on vacation, or taking time off work, or for national holidays like your examples. we use the same word for all meanings. guess we're lazy lol..

I

Isla

dingbat said:
hi Benson - "holiday" just means vacation.. either going away on vacation, or taking time off work, or for national holidays like your examples. we use the same word for all meanings. guess we're lazy lol..
Which I think is a better way of doing it. I learned all about the word holiday from the Wiggles. They sing about it and ask kids about it. What you learn from kids shows.

dingbat said:
Guess I figured this much. I'm just accustomed to "I have next Friday off" but then saw its usage here and raised an eyebrow with "WTF?" each time, but started to assume what you explained. Not lazy Ding, just Briticized.