• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Off Topic: What are you reading?

Just to take a little break from IBD... what are y'all reading these days? And medical journals don't count. :)

If you're not a big reader, what do you do for distraction?

Cheers!

I've been reading like crazy since my surgery in Feb. I have some great friends who dropped off their favorite books for me to read. I've also been using our library's app to download some on my iPad. A few of the books I've read are:

The Egyptian by Waltari Mika
Home by Bill Bryson
Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon (starting on 5th book out of 8)

scottsma

I've just finished THE ROAD TO LITTLE DRIBBLING by Bill Bryson.I've read most of his travel type books.He's very observant,very interesting,and very,very funny.
I'm now reading NO5FERA2 By Joe Hill.(Stephen Kings son) I love S.Kings books,and this one seems to be ok.

Nothing yet. I'm trying to think of a good series to take down to the rehab for Grace's stay. I read on my kindle lately.

Any good series with romance ( not smut) plus suspense type mysteries plus kinda funny out there????

Nothing yet. I'm trying to think of a good series to take down to the rehab for Grace's stay. I read on my kindle lately.

Any good series with romance ( not smut) plus suspense type mysteries plus kinda funny out there????
Yes! The Rose Gardner series. Looks like the first book is free for Kindle.
Twenty-eight and a Half Wishes is the first book of eight by Denise Grover Swank.

haha I tend to like Young Adult stuff, I don't have to think and it's usually pretty cheesy romance... So I just read the Winner's Trilogy. It was pretty good, new book doesn't come out for a few week however.. I also just read the Davinci Code and Angels & Demons.. Hadn't ever read them and the library had them. Pretty good reads.

The Old Maids of Mercer Island (2 book series) funny murder mystery.
The girl on the train (another murder mystery.
I find myself reading a lot of YA books because the boys will become immersed in a series and can't put it down so I have to check it out and find out it's quite a good series. We have really enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, the maze runner series (way better than the movies), The Paper Magician series, The Chronos File Series (time travel)
I need a new book so thanks for starting this thread.

Tesscorm

Staff member
FW - Nora Roberts might fit your needs. :) She has a number of Trilogies as well. Light, easy reading. Also anything by Wendy Corsi Staub.

Also trying to find something new so will be taking note of these recommendations! :)

I'm starting the Earl and Bobby Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter. I'm just now finishing the first book, Hot Springs.

I am Love to read though due to my illness because of pain issues I can't read for long periods of time like I used to. I love sci fi/fantasy. Anything with werewolves, vampires and fairies. I liked them way before they were in. I am reading an awesome series by Kim Harrison. I am loving this series and don't know why I didn't read it sooner.

I find when I have a flare up I tend to read novels where people endured great hardships. It helps me put things into perspective. Some of the good ones are:

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
In Harms Way by Doug Stanton
In the heart of the Sea by Nathianiel Phillbrick
The Endurance by Caroline Alexander
Into Thin Air by John Krakauer

Getting ready to read Miracles from Heaven.

I'd think this one would be a tough read for the mommas. I cried my way through Fly a Little Higher by Laura Sobiech because it hit so close to home (and literally, geographically - Zach went to the same infusion center as DS and high school in the next town over).

Let us know what you think of it, ronroush7.

I'm with Kimmidiwife! All things werewolves, vampires, etc. I loved a series by Nicole Peeler, but it's name escapes me. Also HP Mallory has a couple of series I like

I just started "The Light of the Fireflies" by Paul Pen which was free from Amazon First (Kindle).

Other recent favorites:
The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson
A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron
Touch by Claire North

JMRogers - Check out a series called Gone by Michael Grant. It's a teen series about all the adults in the world disappearing. DS is reading it for the second time. For some reason this book appeals to him. Ha!

Thanks, will do. I'll have to ask J if he's heard of it.
Love all the kindle first and kindle unlimited they're my go to place for finding new books

Tesscorm

Staff member
Actually, I read Gone! :thumright: Bot the first one for S when it came out and we both read it... 3 or 4 into the series (I think there are 7), S got a bit bored but I kept with it! Just haven't read last one! I've enjoyed it... will have to get the last one (thanks for the reminder! :lol:)

If anyone likes historically based books, ??? Rutherford has a number of books on generations of families that live in a city - ie New York, my favourite, was based on a couple of families that ran from the 1700s to present day. I found London a bit tedious but just bot Paris... :)

Also Lesley Pearce - dramas based throughout various time periods... I've read a number of her books and have enjoyed all.

Strange, sort of sci-fi/supernatural type mysteries - books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Jmrogers4 I enjoyed the paper magician series.

After completing the released ASoIaF series by GRRM, I've been devouring others in that genre to pass the interminable wait for ToW release.

So

Mistborn series Brandon Sanderson (Now waiting for the next in the Wax and Wayne part)
Stormlight Archives series Brandon Sanderson
The World of Elderlings series Robin Hobb
Lightbringer Series Brent Weeks
Red Queens War series Mark Lawrence

These are the series that are incomplete so still waiting for the next in the series (so I keep a list of these). I've finished other series by these authors and more.

I've found that with YA and some adult fantasy it can get a bit generic so always on the lookout for more than the common good vs evil, child orphan discovers powers and saves the world plot.

Tesscorm

Staff member
For young teen boys... S loved a series called Pendragon - I think it was his favourite series and he read them a number of times! I think he was between 14-18 when he read them.

Tesscorm-if you like historical fiction (which I do too!), then you'll like The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Set in occupied France during World War II.

I recently read Thinking Fast and Slow by Dan Kahneman. And yes, I am reading journal articles :) The staple.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I am Love to read though due to my illness because of pain issues I can't read for long periods of time like I used to. I love sci fi/fantasy. Anything with werewolves, vampires and fairies. I liked them way before they were in. I am reading an awesome series by Kim Harrison. I am loving this series and don't know why I didn't read it sooner.
What is the series called?

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I like to listen to audio books when commuting to work. I recently listened to The Lake House and enjoyed it. I have also read two books of an unfinished series called Ben the Dragonborn, which was written for middle schoolers, but I really enjoyed them. I stay far away from anything too deep or tear-jerkers! I cry so easy these days as it is...

I usually audiobook for my long commute. Currently reading:
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (YA)
When Breath Becomes Air by Dr. Paul Kalanithi

recently enjoyed The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, movie comes out this Oct