• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Officially diagnosed yesterday

Ironically I am relieved to finally have a Crohn's diagnosis. I have a previous history of Melanoma cancer (fortunately found early), so when I had two severe GI bleeding episodes over the past few months (requiring hospitalization/transfusion), everyone thought that the melanoma had possibly spread (and survival rate is about 5% if it has spread). Fortunately after two months I'm finally getting an official diagnosis, no cancer, but Crohn's. I am 31 with two small children (2.5 and 6 months) and a wonderful husband. I work in Human Resources. I live in Houston, TX and will be followed by Dr. Bincy Abraham @ Baylor. My first treatment step will be steroids (entocort). They believe the bleeding is coming from a small ulceration in my small intestine identified during a capsule endoscopy, and they are hoping the steroid will help it to start to heal. I am hoping not to have surgery. I also got a fairly bad MRSA infection while in the hospital most recently so I'm deathly afraid of being cut open and exposed to more possible infections :)! My only symptoms are the two severe bleeds and some mild lower back pain. Look forward to getting to know you all!

Erika

Last edited:
Well I guess it's good news then! Hopefully the entocort will sort you right out. I don't think they would even consider surgery for a little ulcer, so no need to worry about that. Anyway, welcome to the forum, any questions just ask!

Hey Erika:bigwave:
Boy I bet you are relieved. I can't imagine what it was like for you thinking that your melanoma may have metasticized. I am a mother of youngsters myself and the thought of leaving them is very frightening. CD can be detrimental in and of itself, but is not likely life threatening. I hope that the steriods do the trick to get your symptoms under control
:welcome:

Congrats on the diagnosis I guess a bad diagnosis is better than an utterly devistating diagnosis such as cancer. Hopefully you can get everything under control. Good luck with your disease and we look forward to getting to know you as well

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Erika and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. Wow you have certainly been through a lot and so very frightening too, I can certainly see why it was such a relief to you to be told you had Crohns! I hope the Endocort is able to knock this on the head for you and you can get on with your life again and fully enjoy your children. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been in remission from Melanoma or have you reached the stage that they consider you cured?

This is a fab place for support and info so please stay around as we would love to have you here. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the very best, :)
Dusty

Hi Erika and :welcome:

I'm glad you found your way here. Wow you have certainly been through a lot and so very frightening too, I can certainly see why it was such a relief to you to be told you had Crohns! I hope the Endocort is able to knock this on the head for you and you can get on with your life again and fully enjoy your children. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been in remission from Melanoma or have you reached the stage that they consider you cured?

This is a fab place for support and info so please stay around as we would love to have you here. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the very best, :)
Dusty
I was diagnosed in Oct of 2008 and had surgery to remove it. It had not spread, so I am what's considered "NED" (no evidence of disease). I don't think there is ever an official "cure" as it can always come back. I do know that they will have to be careful with my Crohn's treatment because most of the drugs suppress your immune system, which is not good in someone like me. I guess I'm special like that :). Thanks for the welcome.

Astra

Hi Erika
and welcome

Yes, scary time! Really hope the Entocort works well for you and you can avoid surgery.
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you, all paddling in the same boat!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I was diagnosed in Oct of 2008 and had surgery to remove it. It had not spread, so I am what's considered "NED" (no evidence of disease). I don't think there is ever an official "cure" as it can always come back. I do know that they will have to be careful with my Crohn's treatment because most of the drugs suppress your immune system, which is not good in someone like me. I guess I'm special like that :). Thanks for the welcome.
Thanks for the reply Erika. I was wondering about the treatments for Crohns in view of the Melanoma but didn't want to ask :eek:. Yes, you certainly are an incredible and special lady!

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty