• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oh Great - It's Hamburger and Hotdog Season Again

I don't know about the rest of you, but one of the things I hate most about spring/summer is that every party I get invited to, guess what the only thing on the menu is - hamburgers and hotdogs. I can't eat either. My husband comes from a family of six and everyone is married has kids which means every other flipping weekend it's someone's birthday and guess what we're having - yep you guessed it HAMBURGERS and HOTDOGS!!! They all know I can't eat either - would it kill them to throw on a piece of chicken (sorry - mini vent).

Two questions- 1) am I the only one who feels this way? 2) what do you all do? I have started to bring my own food, but then they look insulted - not that I really care. I can't always eat before I go depending on the timing of the party.

I hate it , i've been to 3 BBQ's in the last week alone. I always eat before i go. And i have taken my own food before ,One lady was nice enough to put some salmon on for me as she knew about my problems , so you could take some chicken and other stuff you can eat and say that you have brought enough for everyone maybe ?

This happens a lot... this past Easter, while everyone ate, I busied myself in the kitchen with an ensure. I usually bring two ensures with me when I am out somewhere during a meal.

I know people get "offended" (not really the right word) but im not spending the following evening or the next day on the toilet just to be polite.

I can't have gluten either so dollars to doughnuts, I can't have anything at a typical party.

I try to eat beforehand. Even if they have chicken, I rarely trust how someone else cooks or how the food was stored before they cooked it. BBQ's are the worst because of the mayo-based salads sitting in the hot sun, bugs hovering, and meats left out of the fridge. I'm ultra paranoid about food poisoning. Even if I ate before, I'll still take a small plate of the side dishes just so I don't offend anyone. Usually I just pick at it and wait until no one is looking, throw a napkin over it and throw it away. Or I'll pass some food off on my husband :)

i must be lucky,every time i go to mother in laws she always make me something differant,im lucky as i can do burgers and hotdogs but cant do anything with cheese and its always pizza and lassange so i get chicken or curry,somehing im ok with.
on the flip side i wouldnt think your asking to much for them to cater for you too,pretty poor infact that they dont.if it kept up i.d make a stand and stop going,then when they ask why you arent there tell them your not prepared to sit any longer and watch everone else eating while you need to starve coz they cant even make the effort to cater for your needs,will soon change their tune(i hope lol)