• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oh nooo...is this the start of a flare?

Ever since last Tuesday when I screwed up my Humira injection and had to do it later than usual on Thursday, I have not been feeling well at all. I'm now having watery D about 4 times a day where I have been having 1 formed movement per day. Today I have spent most of the day in pain in bed, and I'm exhausted.
Please please let me not be flaring. I'm really nervous. Finals week is next week and this is the worst time for this to be happening.:( I can't decide if I should call my GI or not. The pain has subsided since I decided not to eat anymore today so I can't tell if it was a fluke from something I ate. Also I just generally don't have time to deal with this. I've got a paper and an exam happening before Friday, and then after that are all my finals. I always value your advice the most... What should I do guys? :confused2:

I have been spoiled by remission. I was not expecting anything like this to happen for a long time.

I don't know that taking your Humira a couple of days late would make you flare. There were many times that I had to take my shots a couple of days late because of traveling or whatever reason.

You may want to call your doctor just to see if he can give you any advice. It's hard to say if you're starting to flare or if you just ate something, or even picked up a bug somewhere.

I hope you start to feel better! I hear you about being too busy to be sick. It's hard when you have so much depending on you and you've lost the energy/health to do it.

Let us know how things go for you!

Thanks for the advice. You could be right, hopefully I just ate something bad, that'd be best case scenario! I guess I just mentioned the late injection because this is the first time I haven't had a perfect 2 week dosage regimen and also the first time I've been feeling Crohnsy in about a year. Maybe I was just assuming correlation and causation. Anyway, I may test myself by eating something and seeing what happens. Trying not to scare myself too much...I have a tendency to downplay my problems and not call the doctor.

Emily you poor love, thats the last thing you need. I'm not on humira but I had something similar three weeks ago, woke up monday morning of that week with a horrible stabbing pain just left of my belly button it lasted all day and several bathroom trips had me in a tail spin to the point where my hubby called my mum to come and help with the kids as I was in tears from the worrying, then tuesday night the D turned to suds and I just insisted that I go through a complete run down of everything I'd eaten in the past 5 days, it turned out my hubby had roasted potatoes in animal fat, not sure why he decided out of the blue to change something as important as my diet but he did and so I had a clue. He didn't want to believe that it caused it as it's normally a food item as opposed to how the food was cooked, but I remained adamant that it caused it. I equally wasn't prepared to try it again as I couldn't knowingly put myself through the pain and fear again but I didn't have to, a meal prepared for me by someone else two weeks later and BAM it happens again, so I call that person and they confirmed my suspicions.
Sorry it's so long winded but I really feel and hope that it's the same for you.
Good honey with your finals and feel better soon.
Gwen xxx

hawkeye

Staff member
I'd say call the GI tomorrow even if it is just for advice over the phone. It could be just a bug you picked up, but a call to the GI would be playing it on the safe side, especially with exams coming on.

Good luck on the exams and paper.

PsychoJane

I would also suggest to call your GI if it is persistent. Also, for what it is of humira, I would not worry too much about the delay causing that. Usually, I have been told +/-3 days from the 2 weeks is "safe" not optimal but safe. Humira pharmacokinetics refers to a half life between 10-20 days thats why most takes it every second week. I would just make sure with the GI if it does not get better quickly because it is possible that you have built anti-bodies and it might not be working as good as before. I'm currently dealing with that as of today, I built resistance after 8 months...

I so feel for you about the exams... I'm looking at my methotrexate that I was suppose to give 2 days ago... cause it makes me terribly tired and don't know how to deal with exam and sleeping on my couch most of the day... But! I do have hope for you that it was only a stomach flu and that you will back on your feet and ready to roll these exams and enjoy a wonderful Christmas break! I have positive thoughts for you! :)

Thanks everyone :) I am feeling a little better but not back to normal...I'm guessing that it was just something I ate maybe. Gwen you're probably right, I haven't been eating very good food at all these days. Also I doubt the stress is helping. But unless things get worse I'm not gonna call. I'm weird like that. and good luck to you Jane!! just remember...In 2 weeks this will all be over. I have to keep reminding myself that. I can not wait for break much longer! Hope you get through it all and have a good holiday!