• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oi agent! come on in!

oi agent! come on in!

detour from another thread, trying to leave hi-jacking to appropriate stupidity:D

you feel like expanding a lil on your tin hip?

its not something i'm particularly pleased about, but one day if my bone degeneration continues on its merry way, then hip replacement may be something i have to face.

and as always, only say something about it here if you want, or contact me via PM if you'd prefer.

thankss!

Having given all the intimate details of my pooping history (barring photographs)... giving some public details of the hip is not a problem.

I've had problems with my left hip since the age of 16 (don't know if it's crohns related, pred related or what... no-one has ever given me a satisfactory explanation). However, at the age of 50 I found I was in constant pain, unable to sleep, and in the last few months, virtually housebound and unable to go to work. The moral in this is that you have to decide at what point you need a hip replacement... and everyone (including me) says: "I wish I'd had it done sooner"

But... 50 is young for a hip replacement, so following some advice and a bit of research, I opted for a hip resurfacing, which is a better option for us young 'uns who are (comparatively) active - try googling "Birmingham hip resurfacing".

The main thing with this operation is that you have to find someone who does it and has a good track record. I won't bore you with the story, but if you were in the UK I could recommend a very good surgeon... and the scar is so neat it's almost completely disappeared.

With the hip resurfacing, you get the end of the ball joint of the hip shaved off and replaced with a prosthetic joint, and you also get a new acetabulum (the socket). This is the same size as your existing joint (complete replacements tend to be much smaller, so with not so much movement. The operation itself is a little more complex, but what you're left with is much more like a real joint, more suited to younger people - some have gone back skiing, playing football and whatever, afterwards. The other advantage is that if the joint wears out (all types of hip replacements do, but not for decades, hopefully) it's much easier to replace that with a conventional hip replacement - but you should be your 70s or 80s by then.

Obviously there are risks, as with all surgery... I actually had mine done under a local anaesthetic to reduce risks... not as bad as it sounds... I'd have it done that way again... one of those weird experiences everyone should go through!

The other point is that the effect is immediate... you are instantly free of pain! You still have pain due to the fact you've had an 8" long incision made in you, but it's not the same thing, and it gets better very quickly!

I'd definitely recommend it, once you have have decided you need it! If you only get pain when you play golf, I'd say... give up golf! No harm in doing some advance research though... you don't want to leave it too late!

Feel free to ask any more questions or PM

Cheers!

Last edited:
woooooooaaahhhhhh, you did this under local anastetic????? OMG..........

thanks for the info, will google that thing you said!

:)

very interesting. i never knew that you could "resurface" a joint instead of just replacing the whole thing. does it work for other joints as well?

The resurfacing is like replacing the "working bits"... which is mainly the ball of the joint, rather than sawing off the head of the femur and jamming a metal bedoobie down the middle of the bone. This makes the operation a bit more complex at the time, but the results are worth it. It's not complex for me anyway... I just had to lie there and listen to a Coldplay CD.

The worst part was that they couldn't get a line in the back of my hand (stupid veins), so had to put it in the front of my wrist, so I had to keep my arm twisted, which got a bit tiresome after an hour. They fed me enough "happy juice" so I was aware of what was going on, but felt rather laid back about my fate. There was a sheet up so I couldn't see what was going on... but it sounded like they were fitting a bathroom at the other end of the operating theatre. But when they were hammering away bits of bone I could feel the vibrations.

I'm not joking, but apart from the initial anxiety (well, it was a major op after all), once they got me strapped in and anaesthetised, I've had worse experiences in the dentist's chair!

Last edited:
i googled "joint resurfacing" and it looks like it's only used for hips and knees. too bad, really, because arthritis has permanently damaged my jaw. if it gets worse, i could have a replacement down the road. technology better catch up.