• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ointments for fistulas?

ointments for fistulas?

Hi all. I have seen people occasionally mention a cream or salve they put on their fistula/abscess. I have never done this. Does it help? What do you use? What do they do?

sawdust

Would you say you're interested in cleaning or pain relief? When I had my seton and couldn't take a bath, I used balneol with some of those round facial cleanser pads. That gave me confidence for cleanliness, but it didn't do much for soreness or other pain. I interested to hear what other replies you get.

Despite not having my seton for six months now, I can feel the soothing of a warm bath right now. Leaning back, listening to the radio, and just a slow soak in the warm water. So sore and grumpy from a day at work came down to such relaxation and soothing in the tub... ...ah, that was nice for a minute. :)

Must be nice to not have to deal with it. Does it still drain?

Mine just keeps filling up, but with the seton it keeps draining just not sometimes not fast enough. This last time the flagyl barely made any difference.

I have always been to nervous to use anything on it but water. Of course the real issue is internal an all the topical meds in the world are unlikely to help that.

Hi,

Don't think that there is much you can do with an ointment to help an abscess? The answer to that is usually surgical drainage and/or antibiotics. You could use Magnesium Sulphate paste to try and bring things to a head as you would with a boil or splinter, but I wouldn't recommend it.

To keep my Anal fistula in reasonable shape I do use an antiseptic cream that also has a low level of local anaesthetic in it. The UK brand name is Germolene. It won't cure a fistula, but a little around the seton and just into the Anus does seem to help, a little.

Regards,

Mark

sawdust

My seton, abscess, and fistula are gone. While I'm happy about that, I won't do the snoopy dance about it here. I know how painful, unsure, and inconvenient all this is.

I would ask your colorectal surgeon about whether you could use the balneol or not. My colo recommended it to me and I had never heard of it at the time. I think it's primarily used for post-pregnancy healing, but the label has different kinds of uses listed as well.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/search.jsp?searchTerm=balneol

Mine was peri-anal, and nothing seemed as soothing or relieving of pain as a warm bath did. This treatment was helpful to keep clean after using the facilities at work and in public, until I could get home and take a bath. Maybe call your colo and ask what he or she recommends for pain relief?

Calmoseptine, I think, is one I've seen recommended here and elsewhere? Acts as a barrier cream and is soothing too. They gave me a good one in hospital when doing the Picolax prep but I can't remember what it was called.

thanks all. I was just curious because I thought I had seen a couple people mention it. I appreciate the feedback.

I always clean with Olay facial cloths. I know it sounds strange, but they are soft and gentle. As far as ointment, my doc gave me Flagyl ointment after my surgery which was okay, but I still like the Calmoseptine as well. It numbs and sooths and also forms a barrier that seems to help keep the area dry.

I also sometimes use Calmosene and I had one CRS who prescribed flagyl in a cream form (I had to go to a pharmacy to do the compounding). It might have worked too well, though, since the external area closed up causing an abscess since it was still draining internally. I also had another doctor recommend using Cetaphil facial cleanser since it's gentle and has helps with bacteria growth.

These fistulas really suck! I have been suffering for almost 3 years now. Good luck and I hope yours gets better soon.