• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ok foods

Was wondering about a couple foods and if people can have them or not, and their experiences?

1. Steak?
2. Shrimp?
3. Steamed Crabs? (being from Maryland we love our crabs, well used to!)
4. Icecream?
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?)
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey?
7. Lunchmeat?
8. Bread? (what kinds)
9. Chocolate?
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter)
11. Milk?
12. Lactaid or any other product like that?

Thanks, trying to eliminate some of the bad!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My personal experience with these foods is somewhat limited. I've been lactose intolerant for years so no dairy, but I can do rice milk/soy milk/almond milk (almond milk is my favorite) and I can do goat cheese in place of cow's milk cheese. I don't eat beef or pork but I can do chicken, turkey, fish and shellfish with no problems. I haven't had steamed crabs but I've had crab cakes with no problems and shrimp is fine with me too. I don't seem to have a problem with gluten so I eat a lot of bread - I stick to easily digestible white bread. Certain chocolates affect me and others don't - I can eat 3 Musketeers and expensive Swiss chocolates, but I can't eat Hershey's kisses or Ghirardelli's, so the quality of the chocolate doesn't seem to be an issue for me - I don't know why certain chocolates hurt and others don't.

I think that covers most if not all. Again, that's just my personal experience - all of us need to do a lot of trial and error to find out what hurts and what doesn't. If you're still unsure, you might want to keep a food diary. There's an entry in the wiki section that describes how to keep a food diary and what info to include.

Astra

The only things I don't eat on that list are....
Steak & Luncheonmeat (Spam?) URGH!

My symptoms reduced dramatically when I stopped eating red meat. The thought of meat rotting in my guts for several weeks makes my flesh trot!

ameslouise

You'll find it's trial and error -everyone is different! But in answer to your question:

1. Steak? Yes, except anything stringy like flank steak or brisket - kills me!
2. Shrimp? Yes!
3. Steamed Crabs? Dunno
4. Icecream? I don't do any dairy anymore except butter and goat cheese
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?) Nope
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? Nope
7. Lunchmeat? No way, and nobody should eat processed lunch meat!!
8. Bread? (what kinds) Yes, no problems with any kind, even the stick-and-twigs stuff
9. Chocolate? Nope!
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter) Fine with either
11. Milk? No!
12. Lactaid or any other product like that? No - I accidentally used a very tiny bit the other day in my grits instead of almond milk and was gassy all day! Go figure!

Good luck - just take it easy and use your best judgement. - Amy

If it's true about red meat lying in your guts, why didn't I see any come out when I prepped for my colonoscopy? I don't eat lunchmeat, crab or steak because I don't like it, but I eat minced (ground) beef OK occasionally (ie not on consecutive days- not even left overs!). I can eat pizza provided I pick toppings that I know I can eat. Other than that I can eat anything off that list. My problems start when I try to eat fruit or veg- no nuts, seeds or skins for me!

Astra

I know I totally exagerate!!

'Have you ever seen what happens to a piece of meat that stays in the sun for three days? Meat can stay in the warmth of the intestine for at least four days until it is digested. It does nothing but wait for passage. Often, it usually stays there for much longer, traces remaining for up to several months. Colonic therapists always see meat passing through in people who have been vegetarians for several years, thus indicating that meat remains undigested there for a long time. Occasionally this has been documented in twenty-year vegetarians!'

This is an extract from a very interesting article

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

I'm not vegetarian, but I feel so much better without red meat!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Luncheonmeat (Spam?)
Luncheon meat is basically pre-sliced sandwich meat like ham or chicken that you would get from the supermarket.

My dietician asked if I ate it, I said no. Her response was "good, don't, it's poison."

And I'm good with everything listed, I stay away from shellfish due to the Omega3/6 imbalance and high fibre bread.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Here's my take on the food list:

1. Steak? I have to eat it rare.
2. Shrimp? No problems.
3. Steamed Crabs? (I'm from Alaska, home of the Deadliest Catch Series. A fisherman's daughter and grand-daughter.) No problems
4. Icecream? I get stomachaches and diarrhea.
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?) I can eat pizza on good days. I stick to pepparoni, sliced black olives, and cheese)
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? If the chicken is greasy I will feel sick. I can tolerate turkey.
7. Lunchmeat? Turkey and roast beef are fine.
8. Bread? (what kinds) I stay away from bread with a lot of visible grains. That can be a major ouch! I've been doing okay with white, sour dough, and some brown breads.
9. Chocolate? Hit or miss for me. I love chocolate and sometimes I'll feel sick after eating it, other times I'm fine.
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter) Butter is fine.
11. Milk? I can get stomachaches from it.
Lactaid sometimes works.

These foods will absolutely kill me. It feels like I'm being torn up inside:
grapes, corn, broccoli, asparagus, salads (lettuce hurts, surprisingly), peppers of any color, and most whole berries.

Last edited:
I stick to certain things. I have my yeys and nays for a lot of things. But even times when I think I am eating my safe foods I can still feel sick.

For things on your list:

1. Steak? once in a while as long as I cut it really small, chew it really well, and its not fully cooked so its softer.
2. Shrimp? I do eat shrimp. For fish salmon and tilapia more.
3. Steamed Crabs? not something I order usually...I would choose lobster instead lol.
4. Icecream? Yes, but not any kind with nuts. I usually stick with vanilla or chocolate chip with vanilla.
5. Pizza? No I do not eat pizza. Last time years ago got really really sick and just thought ehh 1/2 italian or not I can do without it. I choose meatballs instead when people order pizza.
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? I love turkey burgers with avacado.
7. Lunchmeat? If any I will do turkey once in a while on a wrap from the deli with russian dressing.
8. Bread? I usually stick to white bread because I was told to and like it. If other bread is around I will only eat it with no seeds.
9. Chocolate? Yes but without nuts.
10. Butter/margerine? Not much of it.
11. Milk? Not a lot of it.
12. Lactaid or any other product like that? never tried it does not sound appetizing to me and I was tested for lactose and I do not have an intolerance for it.

I do most things with moderation though.

I'm still stumbling around in the dark as far as foods go. Dairy seems ok as long as I don't over do it. Allergic to anything that ever lived in a shell, but regular fish is good as long as it's grilled or baked. No pizza - boo. Small amounts of lean red meat and low fat/salt deli like roast turkey and ham(you've gotta search for the good stuff, but it's out there). Bread hasn't given me much grief - except the one slice of pumpernickel i had the other day that was an experience in terror! I'm trying to avoid foods that would be "scratchy" to my insides. (no more popcorn...sigh)

Wow, thanks for all the responses! It really helps to get advice from real people dealing w the same illness and not from words on a page from someone I dont know!

From the sound of it most of you have never had steamed crabs from Maryland! You have to try it! Its like nowhere else in the world and its worth it!

My appetite has decreased a lot since having Crohns! While Im still learning whats safe and whats not Id def like to know what a typical day/couple days of meals are like? I usually can only eat 2-3 times a day but on good days I will get another snack or 2 in there!

Usually start off with:

Scrambled Eggs w/Ketchup a piece of toast and some water!

A piece of baked chicken breast with a steamed veg for lunch

A piece of Salmon and griled asparagus for dinner!

Not everyday is like this but some are! I def slip and have some no-no's like cookies, icecream and other things but Im getting better! Lookin forward to hear what you have?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My typical meals for an average day (not flaring but not feeling particularly great either) would be:
Breakfast: An Ensure and a banana
Snack: Rice krispy treat
Lunch: Turkey sandwich on white bread with mayo
Snack: Animal crackers
Dinner: Homemade fried rice with chicken

If you're still figuring out diet stuff, you might want to start with the low residue diet and then slowly start adding things in to see what causes you problems. The low residue diet info can be found in the wiki section, but basically includes plain white bland foods such as potatoes (no skins), baked chicken or fish, soft white cheeses (if you can tolerate dairy), rice, pasta, white bread, bananas, applesauce, etc.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
From the sound of it most of you have never had steamed crabs from Maryland! You have to try it! Its like nowhere else in the world and its worth it!
If you like to eat, you will slip up every now and then. I have learned to keep track of the foods. Some of my pain and flare-ups have been so miserable that I do not wish to experience them again!

I liked your comment about the steamed crab. Alaska is home to most delicious seafood. My grandpa (late), brother, and I have Crohns and Alaska King, Dungenous, Opilio, steamed crab have never bothered us. I think you're safe in that regard. My mom used to make crab cakes which had mayonaise, corn, and onions in them. I don't eat those anymore. Salmon is fine. It's a little rich, so you'll need to limit your portions. Halibut is truly the best where Crohns is concerned. You can eat it in any form and be okay.

Jake- I would probably hold off on steamed veg and asparagus until you are feeling better. I have no bowel symptoms at the moment- except when I eat fruit and veg! I can tolerate bananas and stewed fruits, well cooked carrots and onions but that's about all. I do eat other veg occasionally, but 8/10 times I will pay for it the next day. I take multivitamins and eat fortified foods to try to make sure I get enough nutrients!

Typical day for me:
Breakfast- cereal, coffee
Snack- Nutrigrain bar, probiotic yoghurt, coffee
Lunch- poached egg on white bread toast, coffee
Snack- banana
Dinner- chicken and onion cooked in homemade sauce, steamed potatoes

I am lucky that I tolerate coffee with food!

1. Steak? I have to eat it very early in the day or I get acid reflux at night
2. Shrimp? No problems with shrimp unless I have it in a scampi
3. Steamed Crabs? (being from Maryland we love our crabs, well used to!) I am sure it would be just like the shrimp...
4. Icecream? very gassy and running to the bathroom all day...not worth it for me
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?) I can tolerate it without too much grease and if I don't eat meat on it. I soak up excess oil with napkin.
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? - fine
7. Lunchmeat? seem to be fine. Alhtough i have high blood pressure so I try to avoid it
8. Bread? (what kinds) fine - love it - all kinds.
9. Chocolate? Love it but it does bother me. I eat it in moderation. I think its more my acid reflux than the crohns.
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter) I use a yogurt butter. I love it and my kids eat it.
11. Milk? It bothers me. I only have cream in my iced coffee...one per day...I know its not helping me but I have to have it for energy...I wish I could quit.
12. Lactaid or any other product like that? Haven't tried it.

All meat flares my UC, so I can’t eat: steak, shrimp, crabs, ground chicken / turkey or lunchmeat etc..

Icecream - I cannot tolerate, as I am lactose intolerant (which is connected to UC) dairy flares my UC. I don’t like soy icecream either.

Pizza - I cannot tolerate the wheat base, it flares my UC. Never mind the topping.

Bread - I cannot tolerate, it flares my UC. It is the wheat and gluten that is the problem. But I can’t eat gluten-free stuff either, as I hate the taste.

Chocolate - I cannot tolerate milk chocolate, as the milk, sugar & soy content flares my UC. OK with dark chocolate except I don’t like it very much. OK with carob.

Butter/margarine - I am ok with certified organic butter, as long as it is minimal. Margarine is not a food, it is an abomination and should never be consumed by anyone!

Milk – see dairy as before

Lactaid – I have never heard of this and have no idea what it is.

Sticking with a natural unprocessed wholefood vegan diet is about all I can manage. It is helpful to me.

Hardest thing about UC is giving up foods I once loved.

1. Steak? When not flaring I might eat a couple bites of my husband's steak. It has to be on the rarer side. Would never make it for myself. I can handle small portions of brisket or skirt steak when not flaring well
2. Shrimp? Don't eat shell fish
3. Steamed Crabs? (being from Maryland we love our crabs, well used to!) Again, don't eat shell fish. I do eat the fake crab meat
4. Icecream? occasionally, and in small quantities. I can handle lower fat or frozen yogurt better.
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?)When not flaring, I can handle it as long as it's not too greasy
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? yes
7. Lunchmeat? I'll eat smoked turkey, not much else.
8. Bread? (what kinds) most breads are fine with me
9. Chocolate? never had a problem
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter) I use butter or earth balance
11. Milk? not a milk drinker
12. Lactaid or any other product like that? occasionally use some of the products - never had a problem

Was wondering about a couple foods and if people can have them or not, and their experiences?

1. Steak? NOPE last time i had it i swore id never touch it again. red meat in general is a bad thing.
2. Shrimp? about to try them for dinner tonight for the first time since diagnosed. but i seem to do good with most seafood
3. Steamed Crabs? (being from Maryland we love our crabs, well used to!)
4. Icecream? I do fine with it, im not lactose intolerant. but i try to have it in small portions and not too often.
5. Pizza? (what toppings as well if any?) wont touch it again.. kills me.
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? I eat ground turkey all the time. its staple for me
7. Lunchmeat? i try to avoid it because of all the additives. i roast chicken and turkey for sandwiches or just have tuna.
8. Bread? (what kinds) I stick to white bread or flour tortillas. i try alittle brown bread from time to time but i usually get pain
9. Chocolate? i do eat it, but probably shouldnt. i think it has caffeine in it , which is bad for crohns.
10. Butter/margerine? (any like cant believe its not butter) I always buy vegan butter ( becel brand) and i love it!!
11. Milk? I buy natrel lactose free milk and i love it! i actually like it better than my reg old milk!

Hope that helps!

I stick to certain things. I have my yeys and nays for a lot of things. But even times when I think I am eating my safe foods I can still feel sick.

For things on your list:

1. Steak? once in a while as long as I cut it really small, chew it really well, and its not fully cooked so its softer.
2. Shrimp? I do eat shrimp. For fish salmon and tilapia more.
3. Steamed Crabs? not something I order usually...I would choose lobster instead lol.
4. Icecream? Yes, but not any kind with nuts. I usually stick with vanilla or chocolate chip with vanilla.
5. Pizza? No I do not eat pizza. Last time years ago got really really sick and just thought ehh 1/2 italian or not I can do without it. I choose meatballs instead when people order pizza.
6. Ground Chicken or Turkey? I love turkey burgers with avacado.
7. Lunchmeat? If any I will do turkey once in a while on a wrap from the deli with russian dressing.
8. Bread? I usually stick to white bread because I was told to and like it. If other bread is around I will only eat it with no seeds.
9. Chocolate? Yes but without nuts.
10. Butter/margerine? Not much of it.
11. Milk? Not a lot of it.
12. Lactaid or any other product like that? never tried it does not sound appetizing to me and I was tested for lactose and I do not have an intolerance for it.

I do most things with moderation though.
Turkey burger with avocado is like one of my most favorite things ever!! it just isnt the same without the avocado :)