• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ok, more prednisone questions...

Sorry to be repetitive, people, as I'm sure these things have been covered at some point, but...

I'm finally starting to be weaned off the prednisone. I reduce my dose by 5mg every 2 weeks, so it'll take a while for me to come off it completely. Since being on it, I've developed some lovely side effects- I'm eager to get rid of them. The first one I'd really like to shed is the moon face. So I have a couple questions- will it slowly start going away as I am reducing my dose, or will I have to be completely off the prednisone before it starts going away? If so, how long will I have to be off of it before it goes away? Also, is there anything I can do in the mean time to reduce my facial puffiness?

Another thing I've began to develop is the "buffalo hump" between my shoulders- it's not super noticeable at this point, but noticeable enough to me to be bothersome. Will this go away once I'm off the prednisone on it's own, or will I have to do some exercises that target that area to get rid of it?

Thanks!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi
I can only answer from personal experience. The moon face started going away once I stopped stuffing my face. I stopped having food obsessions once I was on a 10mg dose. I still have the belly pooch but I think that's not going away until I decide to buckle down and loose the extra 10lbs I put on while I was eating like a maniac. The moon face definitely goes away the quickest as I don't think it's actually fat, rather just fluid. I still notice a little of the buffalo hump but it never really got large, it's just such a strange place to have a little extra cushion! Anyway, don't worry it's not permanent.

Hi Autumn,

I am tapering pred too (now on 25, going 20 tomorrow). I can;t help you with your side effects but would like to add a couple of mine and see if anyone has any experience!

What I have noticed is some extra facial hair around my chin. I don;t like it! I have been concernd that this will get worse and was tempted to wax it off but this could make things worse too!!

I also have found myself feeling very depressed :depressed: since going down to 25, but not sure if this is the cause because it coincided with some bad news from 2 sources so that may be what has made me feel so low.

I also noticed that my original increase in appetite has gone and now I am struggling to feel like eating at all - this could again be depression related.

Any feedback would be great - maybe I will still get the moonface! Mine has filled out but only to a point where people say I look well now.

Shaz

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
shazamataz said:
Hi Autumn,

I am tapering pred too (now on 25, going 20 tomorrow). I can;t help you with your side effects but would like to add a couple of mine and see if anyone has any experience!

What I have noticed is some extra facial hair around my chin. I don;t like it! I have been concernd that this will get worse and was tempted to wax it off but this could make things worse too!!

I also have found myself feeling very depressed :depressed: since going down to 25, but not sure if this is the cause because it coincided with some bad news from 2 sources so that may be what has made me feel so low.

I also noticed that my original increase in appetite has gone and now I am struggling to feel like eating at all - this could again be depression related.

Any feedback would be great - maybe I will still get the moonface! Mine has filled out but only to a point where people say I look well now.

Shaz
Hi I had that lovely hair growth too. It did diminish significantly after I was off the Pred. Just carry tweezers every where you go...It seems like a new hair would pop out every time I sneezed! Depression and mania are also side effects, make sure things don't get too bad, you may need to discuss this with your doctor.

As far as I'm aware, the moon-face look comes from water retention. By decreasing the amount of sodium in your diet, you might be able to reduce the amount of water your body is holding and make your face look less moony. If it's being really stubborn and you're desperate, you can always go get yourself a bronzing powder just a shade or two darker than your natural skin tone and use it to shade softly under your cheekbones, lessening the rounded look. Although I must say, moon-face can be a bit of a bonus, rounder faces always look younger :p

shazamataz said:
Hi Autumn,

Shaz
It's a myth that waxing makes hair grow back faster/thicker/darker, in reality waxing can actually make hair grow back less densely. The only thing you should be aware of is Prednisone can make skin thinner and more brittle, upping the chances of tissue damage. If you do decide to get some waxing done, go to a professional who has been doing it for quite some time and make sure you let them know about the prednisone and if they aren't already aware; the side effects (skin thinning and sensitivity).

I've noticed that my face actually FEELS fat... like I feeeeel the fatness hanging and it makes me wanna cut off my double chin! I just squeeze it and push it in hoping it'll go away... but alas it doesn't...

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
katiesue1506 said:
I've noticed that my face actually FEELS fat... like I feeeeel the fatness hanging and it makes me wanna cut off my double chin! I just squeeze it and push it in hoping it'll go away... but alas it doesn't...
Some day, I'll post my moon face pictures...I can't even look at them now!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
katiesue1506 said:
Well I have one in my zoints account from my first round of pred... and I have one from this current one too. This one is worse.
I could not tell. All of you pics look great.

Heck, I was shocked that I gained 10 lbs in the first 7 days of my last prednizone regiment. I had to starve myself for the next several weeks and still gained an additional 5 lbs. I've lost it all after 4 months. But damn, the first couple weeks I could out eat anybody who dare challenge me!