• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Old chronic fistula and possible new one

This is my first post. I have appreciated all of the information on this forum. It is such an important resource. A little history on me: I was dx in 96 with crohns. first surgery was in 99- sm bowel resection. things were relatively calm for the next 5-6 years, a little pain here and there but i was in college not taking care of my body they way i should've. In 2007 I was experiencing pain on the left side of my butt. I thought it was a hemorrhoid. i had no clue that fistulizing crohns or abscesses were even a thing. it turns out it was an abscess that had to be emergently drained. There was a mushroom drain placed that slowly over the next few months was pulled out little by little. Unfortunately the tunnel never closed and became a fistula. It still drains a little so i have to keep a gauze pad taped to my butt all day everyday and change it frequently. it is strange to think that it has become such a part of my life that i dont even think about it as a nuisance anymore. As of march of this years I was just maintaining the fistula. Then I started to get pain on my other butt. I was terrified of having the same thing happen to the right sd that has already happened to the left. So i call my GI dr. for an appointment. I went through a few EUA at the Cleveland clinic and toke a dose for Cipro and flagyl. the atb worked immediately with the pain i was having and i could no longer feel the lump that seemed to be deep in my butt cheek. I was feeling better for a few months but the past few months the pain is back. I have all but given up on my chronic fistula but I do not want to have the same thing happen on the other side. So here is where i need some advice. I have found in the past that for my disease more alternative solutions seems to reduce my symptoms. i eat a fairly regulated diet and take supplements. I am not currently on any medication for my crohns. My dr has suggested a biologic but I have been hesitant to go on it. Has anyone successfully treated an abscess that was deep- it doesn't even seem close to the skin- with anything topical? such as oil of oregano, DMSO...etc.

I will try most alternative things before going the medical route. I am not opposed and I realize that everyone has had success in doing a wide variety of things. Any suggestion would be great. I will say my fear is that it does come to the surface or get worse and instead of having one fistula i will have two. One on each side.

Advice, suggestions, similar stories are greatly appreciated! thanks