• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Old fistula. is there any chance for healing?

I had an abscess 10 years ago that turned into a fistula post drainage. I have talked to a few drs about closing it up and they all agree that a surgical approach would be too risky for incontinence. Which I would like to avoid. I have very little pain from it but it is constantly draining throughout the day. Not enough to be bothersome but I do need to keep a gauze pad taped over it. They all also agreed that it is very scarred up. Does anyone have an success of healing a fistula that they have had for years? I worry that it may never heal because of the scar tissue. Has anyone in a similar situation healed the fistula with remicade?
At this point I feel like I am going to be living with it for the rest of my life...I am 34.
Is it possible to heal the tract so much scar tissue?

@aladams ...I'm really unsure of the impact that Remicade may have on existing fistula that has been draining for several years. Has your GI had a discussion with you wrt Remicade?

I've been on Humira for about five years and have a fistula that wont heal. I got that fistula about 9 yrs. ago. not sure though, everyone is different.

Im sorry to hear that it did not heal. I feel like I am in that same boat. It is so scarred up that I worry it will never heal. My goal is to heal the inflammation and hopefully in doing that it may stop draining. I am not 100% sure anything will work

aladams..

I am very sorry to hear that you have had it for the last 10 years. You are just 34. There is no reason for you to live rest of your life with this condition. If you can afford to take 3 to 6 months off and go to India, you can get rid of this disease from your body completely. Please go through my blog and ask me any questions.