• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Old fistula that was missed by all doctors

Greetings people!

I´m in need of clearing something out; when a person with crohns have an abdominal abbcess is it ”best practise” to check for an fistula too? Is it most likely that a person have/will develop a fistula after having a abscess? From what I understand a fistula is created after an abscess is formed due to infection.

I´m asking, because I was hospitalized with an abscess 5y ago in the small intestine. This is how they diagnosed me with crohns. However…under these 5years no doctor offered to do a MRI follow up and I´ve had some very scary external manifistations (Pyoderma, scarring folliculitis) which was very rare and no doctor here in Sweden could explain it. 1y ago I wanted a second opinion and a new investigation was made and a different hospital did an MRI of my small intestine, that showed that I have an fistula which according to the doctor have been there for a very long time.

I have sued the hospital since this is not acceptable to have missed this fistula.Someone have to be held responsible. I was never offered Remicade etc. and was never in remission. Now they say the only option is to operate.

All these years I´ve been on the ”entry”drugs with small improvement and never taken seriously.