• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Old school crohnie, noob to a forum

Hey all! My Crohns story began in 1988 when I became so sick for months. After a bunch of tests, two ER visits, and a two week stay in a hospital, I was diagnosed with UC. After a round of steroids and Vancomycin, all was ok until 1993. The same symptoms returned only worse and I was diagnosed with CD. I continued to have flares and was hospitalized at least once a year. In 1998, I was put on Remicade. That gave me some temporary relief from flare symptoms and the nastiness of the prednisone side effects. I eventually had to have surgery and in 2000, I had 90% of my colon removed (no colostomy bag needed!) and for nearly 10 years I was pain-free and I didn't see any symptoms. The CD symptoms returned and now I will be starting Humira. Over the course of my treatments, I have taken steroids, Imuran, asulfadine, Asacol, belladonna, broad spectrum antibiotics, and vicodin. I have food allergies to wheat and watermelon.

My personal story is this: I'm a mechanical drafter and a retired roller derby skater. I played Derby thru some of my CD symptoms and managed to power thru bur I had to hang up my skates nearly two years ago because of extreme fatigue and joint pain. So these days I'm a non-skating official (NSO) and a safety officer for my roller derby league. In my spare time (heh), I crochet. I'm married to a wonderful caring and supportive man who has seen me thru the worst of it all and helped me become all the stronger for it.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Brigs and welcome to the community! Thanks for joining and sharing your story.

I hope the Humira works wonders for you!

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing :)