• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Older when first diagnosed

I was wondering if anyone out there, who was first diagnosed when they were turned 50...I'm 62 and have been diagnosed about three months now...could tell me how it's been for them since diagnosis.
I'm particularly concerned about it all flaring up again and wonder if it's less likely/more likely to when you're over 50, than it is when you're a youngster and in the most likely age group for this to manifest itself.
Or does age make no difference?
Bunty x

scottsma

Hello again Bunty ! I can't really say,but we that are Dx'd aged over 50 are lucky in that we've done our schooling,growing up,courting etc. and I think we can face most things in life with fortitude.I can only speak for myself of course.There is a "Diagnosed aged 50 and over" thread, that will probably be more help.

I hope you are well.

I was just diagnosed at 65 and have been fooling around with this for a long time. i'm overweight and in a wheelchair and I think the docs chose to ignore it. It's been a long road these last couple of years. i'm on 40 mg pred plus I'm about to start 50 mg of mercaptopurine, but haven't brought myself to start it yet.

Hi Scottsma, I'm doing really well right now, thanks for asking. What about yourself? Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Over 50s thread, I'm still finding my way round here and didn't realise there was one.
Tootsie, thanks for your reply too. I hope all goes well for you if/when you start taking the meds you mention.
Bunty x