• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Omega 3 supplement

Okay, so I've just gotten back to being good and taking my supplements and I think it would be really advantageous to take an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement because of the anti-inflammatory properties. However usually when I take these I have the worst belching ever because it wasn't a good quality pill.

So my question for you is what brand of Omega 3 pills do you take that work, and what ones have you taken that were dreadful?

Thanks for the help!

I use Krill Oil from Dr. Mercola'a site. No taste, the pills are small and Krill Oil has more antioxidents than fish oil which means it keeps a lot longer.

Dan

You can try Webster omega-3 fish oils there not bad. or Flaxseed oil they contain the o-med 3 oils as well. they work the same as a anti-infammatory supplement. or another idea is make sure you take them with food so you want belch them up all the time. just a suggestion. best wishes

scott

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I just bought some today, I have been reading and if they say they are entercoated, you don't get burps and repeat. But holy, even on sale they were NOT cheap. Better than fish breath lol... Doubt it would be in the states.

i take seven seas cod liver oil with omega 3, apparently if you can taste them after burping its because they are not reaching the lower intestine, thats what my doc said anyway..

The major key to fish oil/omega-3 supplements is in the amount of DHA and EPA in the supplement (doesn't apply for krill oil as far as my research can tell). Basically you want to get around 2 grams (2000mg) per day. The brand isn't usually too important as long as it is one that you trust and see good reviews for on supplement sites. The best time to take them is with a meal to cover the fish burps. These burps are pretty natural for fish oil supplements because the capsule is designed to break apart in your stomach and pass long with your food to be absorbed in the intestines.

The key with fish oil is that it doesn't have to reach your crohns site to be active. Its anti-inflammatory activities come from the pathways it modulates in the body. EPA and DHA are important fatty acids for anti-inflammatory actions throughout the body and ultimately work in a more endocrine (at a distance) than autocrine (same cell) fashion as far as I remember when I learned about their action in the body.