• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

On Asacol and probably flaring

I have been on Asacol 2400 for about 3 years. When I was first diagnosed it was twice that dose (4800). Over the last few weeks I have been having some pretty typical symptoms. I have no idea what may of kicked off the flare. I had been taking some nsaid's prior to the flare but besides that I can't think of anything out of the ordinary. I drink beer and it never bothered me. I am trying to be diligent about the meds and I am also taking vit D regularly as prescribed. I am also taking a probiotic. To be honest when I am not flaring I am not as responsible about the Vit D and probiotics. I am also a very anxious person and this is a vicious cycle as we all know - not to mention I am a hypochondriac ...and god only knows what I am thinking.

Regarding the Asacol though, has anyone had experiences of it stopped working for some reason - or could it be something else that kicked up the flare. If it has stopped working what was the next course of action, I.E. did they double the dose, did they add a med, ect.

Thanks for any advice - Joe

Hi. I don't know if you are having bleeding with your flare but if that is the case, I was told that any pain reliever except for Tylenol could cause bleeding. Please contact your doctor.

My son is on Asacol, started with 800mg 3 times a day. Helped for a while, then stopped. Upped the dosage to 800mg 5 times a day. Again, helped for a little while, then stopped. Added Falgyl and Entocort. After 2 months of Flagyl he developed crazy diarrhea(doctor never advised probiotic and I wasn't thinking) Stopped Flagyl and added probiotic, diarrhea gone. We are now moving on to Methotrexate and Prednisone while still taking Asacol.

I don't think Asacol is very effective for a lot of people but doctor wanted to be conservative at first. I was hopeful at first with the Asacol, not so much anymore.

I hope you find what works for you.

I've been on Asacol for a few months, with reasonable results though not perfect, but my proctitis started up again a couple of weeks ago with rectal bleeding. IBD nurse has told me to use Salofalk suppositories to try and get it under control.

I am seeing the GI tomorrow. She drew blood work and and a stool sample last week and everything was negative. She put me on 4800 of Asacol (doubling the dose). I will see what she has to say tomorrow.

I saw my GI she said the blood work was fine. She said the stool showed some inflamation. Does anyone know what kind of test they would draw to find the inflatmation in the stool. She wants me to go for a colonoscopy if it doesn't settle down in a few weeks. She said it is mild but its been about four years since the colonoscopy. She is keeping me on the 4800 asacol. She also suggested canasa and wrote a script. Anyone have any feed back on canasa?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I saw my GI she said the blood work was fine. She said the stool showed some inflamation. Does anyone know what kind of test they would draw to find the inflatmation in the stool. She wants me to go for a colonoscopy if it doesn't settle down in a few weeks. She said it is mild but its been about four years since the colonoscopy. She is keeping me on the 4800 asacol. She also suggested canasa and wrote a script. Anyone have any feed back on canasa?
How are you doing now? Has your flare and bleeding gone down? To answer your question, I've been on canasa for a few years. It's done well for me and now that my stomach has calmed down, I only use the canasa when needed. But, at first I started with 2 a day and while flaring will need 2. One when you get up in the morning and one at night. But, once it's under control you can go down to 1 a day if need be. It will take a bit start working though, especially if you've been sick for awhile.

Thank you for the feedback. The canasa has been working pretty well. I would say I was 90% back to normal. I have been on it for about 3 weeks. My Dr. called last week and was pushing for the colonoscopy if I wasn't 100% (its been about 4 years since the last one). I asked for another week and for a call back. I am pretty sure I am in remission but because of the minor flare and not being 100% I plan on going for the colonoscopy to be on the safe side...and its been awhile anyway.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Good to hear! 90% is pretty good for only being on it 3 weeks! Yes, I can understand the need for a colonoscopy. Mine is scheduled this coming Thursday the 19th. Good luck with yours!!! :)

Just got back from the colonoscopy. The GI said it looked pretty good. Everything was normal except,

'Inflammation characterized by erthema, granularity and loss of vascularity was found in acontinuous and circumferential pattern in the distal 2-3 cm of the rectum. This was mild in severity. Biopsies were taken with a cold forceps for histology.'

She is going to put me on the canasa for a bit and keep up the 4800 asacol daily.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the findings?