• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

On BCP for hormone migraines. Need to come off. Any suggestions?

In 1990 started taking BCP and within few months full blown Crohn's and surgery. Symptom free and med free since then. However, due to perimenopause hormone migraines my dr. prescribed a very low dose BCP (Loestrin....generic, Microgestin). Been on this for a few weeks now and migraines much better. However, after a trip to the D.R. this week I have returned with diarrhea and the oh so familiar to my memory stomach cramping. I know it could be just strange foods or a bug, so I will wait a few more days before I panic.:eek2:

My question is this: Has anyone had a similar experience with the migraines and if so, what did you do for the migraines and Crohn's? Have tried magnesium as well...not too successful for me.:sign0085:

have you tried getting a referral for a neurologist? They are well versed with migraines. Some even run headache clinics, at least where I live.

After I had my stroke 7 yrs. ago, I started to get very bad migraines. It got to the point that my neuro's RNNP referred me to the Headache Clinic because they deal only with folks who get very bad migraines as she tried everything she had & figured a 2nd opinion would help. IT DID!!

There are numerous things that can be done such as trigger point injections, botox injections, taking Relpax, Sumavel shots to name a few that I've done over the past few years. Sumavel works really well when I have a migraine that comes out of nowhere so I just give myself a shot (no needle at all) in the thigh and I get relief within minutes.

hope this helps. feel better