• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

On Humira. Imuran being added. Questions.

Hi,

I posted in the Your Story thread but came to this one specifically about Imuran.

I've been on Humira approx 3 yrs. It's going to be increased now. It "worked" for a while and I still believe it is, but the flare I am in now is the worst I've had and I believe it was brought on by out-side stresses and the fact that I was able to eat a little bit. Some foods that I hadn't eaten in decades. That's never going to work. Can never deviate from the "Crohn's" diet.
Btw, I am allergic to or have adverse reactions to almost everything on the planet but Humira was NO problem for me. That was a big shock. Of course, we all know about the side-effects so I don't know how that will impact me.

But for anyone worried about starting - I may have been lucky but srsly, I cannot tolerate normal meds. I was grateful when realized it has no ill-affect on me as far as the adverse reactions go to the injections themselves. I'm going to post in Humira thread about a trick that works sometimes for the pain of the med as it's injected. It is thick and caustic and must must must be given very, very slowly. A 3-4 minute injection, for me, hurts less than others. If anyone has tried that. Slow-motion injection. It helps some. Sometimes it helps a lot and there's very little pain. Other times, just feel free to yell. It helps get it out one way or another.

To ask you all about Imuran. I am very afraid to take it. I remember reading Crohn's patients suffering with the ill affects of it and I don't want to start vomiting and begin a while new set of problems in addition to the crisis I'm currently dealing with but there is a 12mm ulcer inside the stoma. The pain is horrible. The fear is horrible.

The dr's response was, "Well, yes there may be nausea etc but it might improve after a few weeks." Standard answer as I'm sure most members here know.

Do I dare take it right now with a 12mm ulcer inside the stoma and risk having it activate the stoma? I have to crush any med I take but my concern is vomiting and if it causes the output to increase/burn my insides out.

Are there patients who don't have nausea and vomiting on Imuran?

Thank you,
Kate