• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

On my marks...

Well I've been allowed home to have 2 good night's of sleep before the 'big day'. Saw my team this morning, and we are all set to go at 1.15pm on Friday. Bloods, x ray's all done.
My ALT is high again (147), so we've decided to stop the 6MP for a week to allow the levels to drop. The pred, after 14 months non stop, has been replaced by Entocort (never taken it before)- I won't be needing it for my colon as I won't have one for much longer, it should help with the ulcers at the end of my TI (we are going in prepared!!). Just one more thing to do, and that's to start to prep tomorrow, and that comes with one big smile.
It doesn't seem so scary anymore. My head's where I need it to be right now, and I'm in some sadistic way, looking forward to getting this show on the road.
It does come with one BIG bonus- I get to watch all 3 five nation matches from bed on Saturday (now only if I can persuade them to allow my bro to bring in some beer).
Hope you're all having a 'happy Wednesday' xx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Andrea, what a positive post!!! I admire you and really wish you all the best on Friday!! I know most times preps suck but knowing it could be your last time for awhile and your future should be awesome! I know everything will be fine, you know I am there for ya! Sending you my Angels on your big day!! ((hugs)):hug::goodluck:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Andrea, so glad to hear you're in a positive mindset and I wish you tons of luck! I hope this surgery changes your life and that you feel well for a very long time afterwards! I don't know what five nation matches are (soccer?) but I'm glad you have something good to look forward to afterwards. Give us an update when you're able to, we'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way! Hugs!

Terriernut

Andrea...you'll be watching rugby with a morphine pump!! You wont need a beer! :lol2: :yfaint:

Best of luck on Friday! Any way someone can post to us here to let us know how you got on? We'll be concerned if we dont hear anything for a while ya know!

Welcome to the cool bag lady club,
:hug:
Misty

I'm so glad to hear how positive you are feeling now. Well done you
I shall be thinking of you on Friday and wish you all the very best for the operation and the rest of your life :D
Keep up the good spirits and you'll have a beer in your hand in no time ;)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Welshy,

You are one incredibly amazing lady! and with such a positive outlook you will do wonderfully well. I am thinking about you hun and wishing you all the luck in the world, you deserve nothing less. Good luck baby.............

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

Looking forward to hearing from you at the other end!!!

Loads of love, :hug:
Dusty

WOW!

I've just joined after having a major flare up where they told me i could have died. I'm so happy to see that you can be positive, thank you so much for sharing this and i really wish you all the best! good luck *hugs*
xx

Terriernut

Hey Welshy,

You are one incredibly amazing lady! and with such a positive outlook you will do wonderfully well. I am thinking about you hun and wishing you all the luck in the world, you deserve nothing less. Good luck baby.............

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

Looking forward to hearing from you at the other end!!!

Loads of love, :hug:
Dusty
She IS amazing isn't she Dusty? Bet she's gorgeous too! Lets all give our Welshy a big HUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Misty

I am happy that you are in a very positive mindset! I wish you all the best for friday and for a healthy speedy road to recovery! :)

Getting set...

Thank you all so much...:redface:
Have taken my 1st dose of prep- not that I needed it this morning. Think the nerves moved in last night whilst I was sleeping!
Still looking forward to getting this show on the road. Stoma nurse has phoned this morning, just to check I was still hanging on in there. Couldn't stress enough how 'ready' I am for this. Looking forward to going out in the summer, not having to check where the nearest loo is en route. Also it means I can get back on the travel trail again, no reason to not go to Vietnam, Cambodia or even Borneo now...
Will be sure to log back on later and say 'Au Revoir'- but in true Arnie style, 'I'll Be Back!'
Have a good day all x

Misty- I will make sure someone on here (prob Joan or Pen) will update you all asap.

Andrea,
What a positive post. I am so glad that you are in the right mindset for the surgery. You will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow for the surgery and a very speedy recovery.

Big Hug

All the best Andrea :thumleft:

and echoing other posts, thanks for such a positive post :medal1: and I look forward to hearing from you as you progress, for all the good and the bad.
I hope everything goes well and that you can talk to us again soon, even on the morphine ;)

Terriernut

I bet our Andrea is decorating the loo walls today with the prep she's had to drink....poor Andrea!!:eek:

My alarm is set on my phone for when your surgery starts. But I have to ask, will you have some help at home for when they release you? I just want to make sure you are taken care of!

:goodluck:
Misty

Astra

Not only positive, but EXCITED! I could hear it in your voice!
I'll be waiting for the text from bro at teatime then I'll post it up here for everyone.
You're gonna be ok And, you now have such an exciting road ahead and a great Summer to look forward to without pain.
Love ya lots
xxxx

Oh, and yes she IS gawjus!!

Last edited:
Thanks all so much- just stopping by, as I can't sleep. None too sure what's wrong with me tonight- feel sick as anything. Maybe it's just nerves...

Your support really has meant so much to me- I hope that one day I will be able to repay your kindness.

See you all soon,
And xx

Joan- love ya too hun, and thanks soooo much. xx

vickyoddsocks

wears odd socks
Its ok to be scared, wouldnt be human if you wern't! Keep thinking of the summer....long summer days doing WHATEVER you want! Super good luck!! I'm slightly jelous, i want mine now too! lol! i can understand exactly how your feeling. Remember from the moment you wake up things are only gonna get better! YAY!
Good luuuuuuuuck! Enjoy the morphine ;)

Thanks Vicky- not too sure where these nerves have come from. I was honestly fine up until an hour or so ago. I know that I AM doing the right thing, my body needs a break from all this c**p. Just wish it was happening now- 10am can't come soon enough!!

Good luck for next week- will try and catch up with you before you head to surgery. x

Still awake- minds on overdrive, and last remaining contents of my stomach is down the toilet (like I haven't spent enough time there today!).

Oh well, 11 3/4 hours to go- not that I'm counting!!

Sending as much positive energy and good healing thought to you as I can! Hoping for the best possible outcome. And glad you are taking the step.

Terriernut

Still awake- minds on overdrive, and last remaining contents of my stomach is down the toilet (like I haven't spent enough time there today!).

Oh well, 11 3/4 hours to go- not that I'm counting!!
You are feeling exactly like I did....I was ssooo terrified. When they rolled me down to surgery I was shaking like a leaf. And then I was out.
Thoughts and prayers with you today Andrea.
Love,
Misty

Good luck again Andrea
Today is the 1st day of the rest of your (new and improved) life!!
Will be thinking of you
Love and BIG hugs
Marie xxx

Astra

UPDATE

Andrea's brother Julien has sent me a text.

Just an update to let you know Chunks is out of recovery and now in ICU.
All went according to plan, and no problems reported.
She woke briefly in recovery, no complaints of pain, put her right hand down to feel for the bag and then went back to sleep.
They managed to do it laparoscopy so we didn't expect so many tubes to be coming out of her. Don't think she'll be amused when she comes round!
We are now, altho, early days, on the road to recovery. Can't wait to have my big sister back and feeling well, it's been way too long!
Thanks for all the texts, emails and good wishes.
Will update again later

This is excellent news! I'm so happy Our Andrea is ok!

Terriernut

Chunks? Oh...we'll NOT let her live THAT down!!!! :ywow:

Great news that she came out ok!! We are looking forward to hearing from 'chunks' soon as she can type!

Hugggsss to you Andrea...and thanks to little bro fro the update (and beautiful Joan)
Misty

Terriernut

She's gonna KILL her brother for this ya know...letting us know her nickname. Teeehheee!!!! She's a size 10 for gawds sake! Chunks??

We love you Andrea!!!! Slap your brother for us!
Misty

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Woohoo, I am so, so happy to hear that Chunks/Andrea...nah I just keep calling ya Welshy Is AOK!!!

Sending mega loads of healing (((HUGS))) and (((THOUGHTS))) your way hun........:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Thinking about ya mate, :)
Dusty

Terriernut

OMG!!

she's gonna flatten me!!
Joan....she's in Cardiff...she can only verbally flatten you. And she wont..it's her brothers fault! Thank you for posting anyway! It's my bad behaviour that highlighted it...it's my humour, I cant help it! I kept her laughing on the loo yesterday, hopefully she'll forgive both of us!

Runs screaming from the room...............squeeaalll!!!!

Misty

Astra

Ha Ha Misty!
She's hundreds of miles away, but not for long! She's hoping to come and visit me, and then flatten me!

Terriernut

I can come help you Joan...I'm the albino pigmy, hear me roar! My 5'1" can protect mountains!

Nah...she'll forgive us. She might be angry cause laughing will hurt for a bit though! Get better soon Welshy...so you can come try and kick our butts!!!

Misty

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
"Chunks"???

Note to self: If I have to have surgery, I must not let my brother give anyone updates, unless I want to risk being on the receiving end of a very unflattering nickname.

Seriously, that sounds just like something my own brother would do! I guess little brothers everywhere are the same, ha ha. :) Glad to hear "Chunks" made it through the surgery okay and is resting now. And I hope when she reads this thread she isn't too mad that we've all taken to her new nickname! Sorry Andrea!

Glad to hear it all went well

Oh yeah, Ireland whooped England in the six nations !!! . . . Wahoo . now thats medecine !!

Bruscar

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Whoo hoo :banana: glad it all went well...Julien you are so bad, calling her chunks, I am tellin' LOL. Give her big hugs for me !!!!!! Gently ;)

ameslouise

Joanie, thanks for sharing the text! I am so happy and releived for her that things went well and they were able to do it lapro!

Awesome news! I can't wait till she is able to pop back on an update us in more detail.

And you had better run for cover because I'll bet you that someone knicknamed Chunks can probably kick your ass!!

- Ames

I am glad that it all went well Andrea. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Big Hug

Good morning (putting on a brave face).
Thank you all so much for the thoughts and wishes..and Joan hun, an even bigger 'thank you!' heading your way, and not just for the texts and posting here. I'm sure you all get my drift!! Really looking forward to heading up North now! lol

Surgery went well, all done lapro, and as far as the surgeon says- my colon was well beyond it's R.I.P time. It probably wouldn't have made May 9th, so in all, deciding to opt for an earlier date has saved an emergency op, that would have resulted in open abdo surgery, and everything I tried hard to avoid. Pain's minimal right now, and I was up and out of bed as soon as they moved me out of ICU yesterday morning. I'm hoping that now I am mobile, they will pull this cathetar later today. So in all it seem's to be all heading in the right direction.

BUT..I hate this ileo. I hate even more looking down at a tummy that looks 9 months preganant with quads. I should have posted here yesterday, but I'm sorry, I just felt damn right miserable. The tears just come and I don't know how to make them stop. I have what I wanted- so why am I soo damn miserable and unhappy? The nickname certainly fits me right now, and he jokingly told me yesterday that they also removed some of my sense of humour along with my colon- open the flood gates! He never meant it in any malicious way, and he was so sorry. Last week I would have laughed and gave back as good as he gave- yesterday I cried!
What the bloody hell is wrong with me??

Right before I make an even bigger fool of myself here,I'm going to shut up.

Thanks again for the thoughts,
And xx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Andrea, it'll get better!! The swelling will subside and the ileo will become something you learn to accept. Then when you realize your pain and suffering are gone and you have your life back, your sense of humor will come roaring back. For now though, just let it out!! You've been through hell and you deserve to feel emotional about it!

Andrea - a big gentle (hug) from me to you.

don't worry about the way your emotions are right now, it is normal, absolutely normal...

years back, i wrote a diary after one of my surgeries, getting down on paper the pain, the upset, the fears... and i remember there were quite a few days where i just put 'tears'..

you might not even know why you're crying, and it's confusing because you may feel you ought to be looking forward and feeling positive.... don't expect anything of yourself right now, the right feelings will kick in when it's the right time. you've been through a lot, physically and mentally, and now you're on the other side, coming down off all that....

you have us here whenever you need a few shoulders to cry on, or even better, someone to smile with when you feel like it.

Lots of careful hugs Andrea and thank you so much for posting :hug:

Don't worry about the emotions, let it all out. Apart from what you have gone through it is quite normal to become emotional just from having a general anaesthetic. So rest up, do whatever you need to feel okay, watch your favourite programmes or films and remember there are a lot of people thinking of you :ghug:

I haven't been on the forum long but, as I'm in only in Wiltshire, I hope that sometime I can meet up with you and Joan :thumleft:

I wish you a comfortable and speedy recovery and take care. It sounds like you have a great brother looking out for you too :)

Hi Andrea, glad you are getting up and about. It's completely normal to feel tearful, cranky and fearful right now. You have had major surgery, you have to adapt to a new body and you are on painkillers that will affect your mood. You'll look back in a little while feeling different and looking forward with hope not back in sadness.

Thanks (again) all,
I'm hoping that this is merly a hic-cup and that soon I will find my self.
Can't thank you enough for the support given
xx

Glad to hear things went well with the op. I am not at all surprised that you are feeling like this. I would have thought most people would. Having not experienced this I can't speak from experience but feel that you must go through kind of grieving period for what you have lost even though you know it will make you much better in the long run.
Take great care of yourself and cry as much as you need to. It's an important part of coming to terms with everything.
Sam x

Hey don't be tough on yourself! You've been through a lot, go easy on yourself. You deserve some pampering for sure. It's ok to have feelings, even if they weren't the ones you wanted/anticipated. Just give yourself some time right now. I'm sure there's more than a little mourning involved. Thank you for being honest with us though and not feeling like you have to put on a tough act. It is such a resource when the people here share their stories.

I hope your swelling goes away quickly and you start feeling better soon. I am still sending all the good thoughts your way I can muster. And a *lame internet hug*

I am glad your surgery went well and that your healing and heading for a good recovery. The emotions are only normal to have. The swelling will go down, your body just went through trauma. I am wishing you all the best :)

Morning all- just a quick update, and for once it's GOOD!!
Have woken this morning feeling like I am turning this corner. I won't say I like this Ileo, and am now understanding that it is still early days (5), BUT, I am feeling more positive. The tubes have been removed, I am mobile and starting to eat soft foods. Anyone out there passing a Mc.D's then please bring it all in!!!
I have a meeting later today with the 'team', and am hoping it's to discuss discharge and follow up plans. I have set my sight's on being out of here by the weekend. Then I get to start 'the rest of my life' and get the show back on the road.
God, it feels good to be smiling again!!

Hope you're all keeping well out there.
Thanks again for the well wishes, xx

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Welshy!!!

Thank you so much for the update. You never cease to amaze me hun and hey I have my fair share of bad days, so what's my excuse?? :lol:

I am so happy for you that you are starting to feel on top of things again. Good luck with the discharge plans, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get what you want!

Loads of love, :wub:
Dusty

I'm not asking for much Dusty- Just Brad Pitt, a glass of Shiraz and a flat belly. Think I'll stop there before I look greedy...xx

So glad you are feeling more positive. I'll drop Brad an email to let him know where you are and ask him to pop in to the offy on the way!

Last edited:
Andrea,
I am so glad that your surgery went well and that your spirits are up today. Sending you Big Hugs.

Brad Pitt huh....well if I were to get Brad, we would have to share...separately of course.....I would let you take first round...lol

Last edited: