• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

One More Test--Insurance Worries

My Dr. is 99.9% sure that I have Crohn's based off of my most recent colonoscopy. My doctor is holding off of official diagnosis until my MR Enterography. He said that his hesitation is because of potential insurance issues. I am scheduled for the test next week, but he suggested signing up for disability/ life insurance before the full diagnosis. This has made me very worried. I'm 28, and I hope to have a family in the next five years. He wasn't very specific (he acknowledged that insurance stuff is up in the air), but now I'm paranoid. I'm a teacher, and my issues are mild enough that I can handle everything (and I have health insurance), but I'm really worried about life and disability insurance. Anyone have any info/suggestions on potential insurance issues (I live in NJ if that makes a difference)?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome the forum :)

I am afraid I cannot help with your query about the insurance as I don't have knowledge of the process 'over there', I am confused by what the doc has said though considering you do have insurance. Someone should soon come along who may be able to assist with this but please keep us updated on how things go.

AB
xx

I am no expert on life insurance, but I believe that life insurance rates would be higher for those suffering with Crohns, despite it not being a life-threatening disease. I am not sure about this however. I have a life insurance policy that my husband and I took out about 10 years ago. My Crohns was already diagnosed but I had had no surgeries. The policy was not very expensive, and it has remained pretty reasonable.

Disability insurance is expensive to get under any circumstance, and while you could apply prior to getting an official diagnosis, should they get wind of all the testing you have been having I think they might deny you coverage.

You want to make sure that you cannot be charged with fraud. I don't know what information the insurance companies get from your doctor, but if they request information about recent blood work, tests, etc. they are going to see the results.

Good luck...And I hope that you are feeling much better very soon.
-Lisa

My doctor assured me that he wasn't doing anything illegal. He is submitting all of his findings, is waiting for the MR Enterography to officially diagnose Crohn's. I found out that I have life insurance through my state, and I can supplement with a plan from the NEA, so I'm going to sign up even if my rates will be higher. I just got info from the board office about signing up for disability, so it should all be worked out soon.

I am no expert on life insurance, but I believe that life insurance rates would be higher for those suffering with Crohns, despite it not being a life-threatening disease. I am not sure about this however. I have a life insurance policy that my husband and I took out about 10 years ago. My Crohns was already diagnosed but I had had no surgeries. The policy was not very expensive, and it has remained pretty reasonable.

Disability insurance is expensive to get under any circumstance, and while you could apply prior to getting an official diagnosis, should they get wind of all the testing you have been having I think they might deny you coverage.

You want to make sure that you cannot be charged with fraud. I don't know what information the insurance companies get from your doctor, but if they request information about recent blood work, tests, etc. they are going to see the results.

Good luck...And I hope that you are feeling much better very soon.
-Lisa