• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I started a nasty flare up about three weeks ago. I got in to see my GI right away. Flex sig didn't show anything too alarming, and I was given cortisone steroids; I do have a full colonoscopy scheduled for the end of September.

I continued to have some bad days, but I was very slowly improving. But this past week, I thought I was finally getting there. I still was passing mucus, but my BM's were formed and there was less blood. I figured the enemas were doing their job slowly but surely. But I woke today doing just terrible. I have been in and out of the bathroom with blood and mucus, lots of abdominal pain, feverish, faint, etc.

Since I was doing a bit better this week, I was being less cautious with what I ate, so I wonder if that is what set me back today? I just don't know. I am just so disheartened.

I am still new to the Crohn's game, so can someone tell me if flares do this sometimes - a one step forward, two steps back kind of thing? Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Jessi

Very similar.

Last year, I was bleeding with formed stools for a couple months. I cut out gluten, and the blood, pain, and fatigue went away. That lasted for a month or two, as well. Then it started hitting me hard. I started bleeding again, but this time with diarrhea and more mucous. Gradually, I got more faint and weak, until I was passing out on my bathroom floor several times in a week.

I got the help I needed just in time to save my life. I believe that changing my diet bought me some time, but gluten wasn't the only thing bothering me apparently. We definitely need to be cautious about what we're putting into our bodies.

For me, rice flour and potato flour are just as bad as wheat, barley, and rye. Oats hurt me, too. I hear people say that tapioca flour is bad, but I don't know for sure how I react to it.

Anyway, just stick to foods that you KNOW are safe for YOU, and I bet it will buy you some time. I am so sorry that you are sick. I wish you a VERY SPEEDY RECOVERY!

<hugs>

~Jessica

Hi Jill! I ate really poorly today, and I am completely paying for it tonight!

It is such a process to figure out what works for you, but when you are in a flair (as I am as well), you need to be so diligent and be so careful about what you eat. It may not fix the problem, but at least it wont make it worse. Also, sometimes you just have a bad day, and you will be feeling better tomorrow.

I hope that your body can fight this flair. It can be so disheartening when you think you are getting better and then things get worse. Hang in there!

Hi Jill!

As far as I know, my bf had a lot of trouble too when he was first diagnosed. He told me he would constantly throw up, run to the washroom and generally be very ill (both before and after his diagnosis). I'm not clear on all the details, but it was definitely a very trying period as he and his doctor worked to figure out what kind of treatment was best for him and his gut. Things seemed to be better once they figured out what worked for him...his symptoms have been manageable for most of the 3.5/4 years that I have known him, though as I understand it was quite a journey to get there!

Crossing my fingers and wishing the best for you!

i thing jill you know my story i been battling with my a flare up for three weeks now and i thought it was going away.but, yesterday i eat something hard a bit of rice and chicken and it caused great pain i been on liquids for three weeks now and i guess i will be on it another short period of time. i hope you will soon get better and things will clear up for you soon. best wishes.

scott

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thank you guys so much for your replies. You hit the nail on the head, Nicole - it sure is disheartening to think you are getting out of the woods, but you're not there yet.

I guess I need to show some more diligence. When I started to flare, I was so careful with what I ate. My diet was chicken, rice, grilled cheese, yogurt, and a few other very, very safe foods. But last week I ate pizza, a cheeseburger, and other naughty things. I guess it was too soon, huh? It's so hard, because I love food! Also, I had started to wean off the enemas, but I guess I have to start taking them nightly for a bit longer. I sure hope this passes soon.

Thanks, again, guys!

Ugh, I am in the same boat. When I am feeling okay, I feel like I can eat what I want, and of course I end up paying for it. But sometimes I can eat those lovely “bad” foods and I am fine, so I always want to pretend that the fluke is when I feel bad, not when I feel well.
I love food too Jill. We will both have to try harder this week to eat like good little Crohnies and hope that things get better. At least you are not alone!

Hope you are feeling a bit better today!

Jessi

I do the same thing! I kid myself and say that the meds are keeping me in remission, so I can eat what I want. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Now I have mucous again, and I have to watch what I'm eating. I need to be more disciplined while I'm healthy. We all do.

Be strong, everybody! We'll get through this together!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Yup, ladies, I guess we have to be better little Crohnies. It's no fun, but it is certainly worth it to feel better.

I hope we all feel better soon!

I agree I have good days bad days and at the moment there are def a few more bad days creeping in but in general I still feel well. Like everyone else sometimes some 'bad' foods don't give me any problems and sometimes they do!!! crohn's is definitely like one big guessing game. I had 2 nights out at the w'end and I suffered today for it but it was worth it :) but going to be good for the rest of the week!!