• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Opinions please for Aza for Treatment? Also Still Breastfeeding.

Hi everyone, haven't been around for a while but things aren't going so well so I'm back.

I became pregnant a few months after I was diagnosed and was in clinical remission and my pregnancy went really well - was just on Pentasa and in the last half on my pregnancy I was pain free for probably the first time in at least a decade! (long time to get diagnosed but suffered for years and years).

After I gave birth I predictably flared. I was treated with Budenofalk (Entocort) and it did get me into remission however I am just.......well, not well. I'm not in an obvious flare but I just don't feel like Pentasa is doing a good enough job. I have abdo pain every day (especially right side - crohn's in TI). Night sweats have returned on and off, joint pain in my wrists (tested for RA which it's not thankfully) which the GI has put down to crohn's.

GI is running more bloods and might be sending me off for MRI (hoping to avoid a scope) but he's talking about starting aza. TBH I'm a bit scared of this drug and I am still breastfeeding. But in all honesty I really just want to feel well. I have a baby to look after and I'm tired of feeling bad every single day.

Any opinions/advice/stories welcome please. Having a bit of a hard time :(

Just bumping this thread - had a scope which is showing inflammation and scar tissue. GI took biopsies to see how deep the inflammation is and is recommending aza. I will have an appointment soon once biopsies are in but just after some help. Thanks

Your question about the safety of breastfeeding while on aza is an excellent question and you're probably not getting a lot of responses because it's a difficult question. I know that this question has been covered many times before on this site, so I recommend that you do a keyword search of the site using the keywords breastfeeding and azathioprine (or imuran).
Best of Luck

For anyone not familiar with doing a keyword search within the site, here is how to do it.
Click on the search button near the top of the page.
When the search box appears, click inside it.
Then type your keywords.
Then click the search button next to the search box.

Thank You to all the current and past members (and founders) of this site for creating this ever-evolving database of first-hand knowledge of IBD that is crohnsforum.