• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Options after remicade

I've been on remicade for the past year and health wise it has been the worst year ever for me. I've had constant infections, whether they be sinus or perianal abscesses from my fistula tracts. Literally not a month has gone by without some infection. This all culminated last week with a pelvic abscess (first time I had one), sepsis, and a week long stay in ICU. I have a follow up with my GI this week to discuss a new 'game plan.'

I would like to hear from you all what my options are as far as medications go. The GI has mentioned tysabri in the past, I have never tried cimzia but failed on humira, and I have not really responded much to mesalamine products or 6mp/Imuran/methotrexate in the past. I know stelara approval should be coming soon for crohns.

As I said I would welcome any ideas before I go to my appointment.

Thank you for reading.

SarahBear

I'd expect Cimzia to be an option. As Joshuaaa said, you might want to ask about LDN. I personally wouldn't go for any sorts of trials until after Cimzia is off the table as well, but I do encourage you to look into those if you're interested. Tysabri could be an option, but I would expect to give Cimzia a shot first. However, that will depend on what you and your doctor decide.

Have you considered trying a diet to help, as well?

I hope things go well. :hug: Please keep us updated!

I agree with the advice above.

I'd probably give Cimzia a go next if I were you or see if you can get Stelara off-label since you haven't had great luck with the anti-TNFs. I would also ask about clinical trials. There is a study open here that I am considering, for a drug similar to Stelara but with less infection risk, targeting IL-12 instead of both 12 and 23. The only hesitation I have for the study is that you have to have a 10 week wash-out period from Humira.

When do you see your GI?

Thank you for your ideas. I see my GI on Monday and then my colo rectal surgeon later that same day.