• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Options for potential remission (that worked)

For kids, these may be be a very good alternative to commercial biologics and immune-suppressants...

1. VSL #3 or Visbiome
2. Enteragam (According to my GI - this one provides the immuno nutrients that are available in mother's milk )

Both are are by prescription only (if your doc can prescribe)

I have been using these over the last year or so which fantastic results. My colon as of last month was clear of any inflammation/colitis. So this may work for kids too (especially since there are little to no side effects with these)..

my little penguin

Staff member
Vsl#3 has only been proven to be an effective treatment for ulcerative colitis but not for Crohn's disease

Kids tend to have more severe and agressive form of Crohns than those dx as adults
That is why they need immunosuppressants and biologics

my little penguin

Staff member
Background Ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) are inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). Evidence implicates disturbances of the gastrointestinal microbiota in their pathogenesis.

Aim To perform a systematic review and meta-analysis to examine the efficacy of probiotics in IBD.
Methods MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Controlled Trials Register were searched (until November 2016). Eligible randomised controlled trials (RCTs) recruited adults with UC or CD, and compared probiotics with 5-aminosalicylates (5-ASAs) or placebo. Dichotomous symptom data were pooled to obtain a relative risk (RR) of failure to achieve remission in active IBD, or RR of relapse of disease activity in quiescent IBD, with 95% confidence intervals (CIs).
Results The search identified 12 253 citations. Twenty-two RCTs were eligible. There was no benefit of probiotics over placebo in inducing remission in active UC (RR of failure to achieve remission=0.86; 95% CI=0.68–1.08). However, when only trials of VSL#3 were considered there appeared to be a benefit (RR=0.74; 95% CI=0.63–0.87). Probiotics appeared equivalent to 5-ASAs in preventing UC relapse (RR=1.02; 95% CI=0.85–1.23). There was no benefit of probiotics in inducing remission of active CD, in preventing relapse of quiescent CD, or in preventing relapse of CD after surgically induced remission.
Conclusions VSL#3 may be effective in inducing remission in active UC. Probiotics may be as effective as 5-ASAs in preventing relapse of quiescent UC. The efficacy of probiotics in CD remains uncertain, and more evidence from RCTs is required before their utility is known.

From
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/884985

Systematic Review With Meta-analysis
The Efficacy of Probiotics in Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Y. Derwa; D. J. Gracie; P. J. Hamlin; A. C. Ford
DISCLOSURES Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017;46(4):389-400.

Interestingly mine was pretty aggressive. was on immunosuppressants for about 5 + years and still ended up getting multiple surgeries in 2 years after which I permanently stopped using the immunosuppressants.

Went for the combination of VSl + probiotics + Enteragam+ vegetarian food. I understand that this experience may not support the the research findings. Fortunately, in my case it has been successful till date. The key is to address 'leaky gut'. Just wanted to share the info... :)

You want want to look into 'Enteragam'.. I added this recently to my diet.. with fantastic results. I might have taken this route first instead of an FMT as this appears to work very well for me (better than VSL/Visbiome).