• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oral Methotrexate?

I noticed a lot of people are having MTX injections. I am taking it orally 15 mg once a week. Is anyone else taking tablets? Just curious.

I've been on it 5 weeks now, no real improvement in symptoms, but the Doc said it could take 3-6 months to be effective.

I am also on oral methotrexate i have only taken two doses so far next dose is tomorrow. I'm on a low dose at the moment and building up I havnt noticed any big changes yet but trying to stay hopeful, the docs said the same to me that it can take a while to work. Hope it starts working for you soon

I was on the tabs, ramped up from 7.5mg to 25mg. Some say you get fewer side effects from injecting but there's obviously more cost involved with syringes and stuff.

I was on 25mg mtx a week oral to help with my psoriasis before I was diagnosed with crohns. It seemed to help until recently now I'm taking steroids for the moment to help with a flare up. The only thing i found with mtx is you get quite bad nausea and head aches with it.

Hope this helps, all the best

Oral Methotrexate 150 mg a night hasnt done a thing been on 100mg for 2 years and thay just put it up by 50mg about 6 weeks ago, hope you are more luckly then me,
good luckx

I think you mean azathioprine hugs3656?... Methotrexate you have weekly, not nightly, and if you did manage to misunderstand the doctors and the instructions to take it every day you'ld soon be without need of it. Ever.

I think you mean azathioprine hugs3656?... Methotrexate you have weekly, not nightly, and if you did manage to misunderstand the doctors and the instructions to take it every day you'ld soon be without need of it. Ever.
oh poo yer sorry x:poo:

I am taking six 2.5mg tabs a week. Began taking in Sept 2012 after surgery removing terminal ileum. The first week I took the pills, I expereinced slight flu like symptoms which lasted about 36 hours. Since that time, the only thing I notice is on the day I take the pills --I get drowsy --since I take them in the evening that isn't a problem. I've noticed no other side effects.

Our son just started 25MG MTX once a week with a Zofran 1/2 hour before to offset any nausea. On 20MG Prednisone now so hoping MTX works and we can taper off. Folic Acid supplement every day as well.

KWalker

I was going to say, 150mg of methotrexate might kill you! lol I was taking oral methotrexate but I got terrible side effects from it. I had to take it on Saturday mornings and my whole weekend was always ruined because I felt like death. It was a specific reaction to the MTX. When I switched to the injections I didn't get any of those side effects, and only got a few headaches at the beginning. My worst symptom from the injections was the occasional night sweats that' just an annoyance.

As far as the costs, the syringes are only 20 cents each, and while I don't remember how much the pills will, the injections weren't expensive. I guess it's different too because I have medical coverage.

Also for me, the injections seemed to be much more effective. It's super easy (I did them myself) and the needle is really small so it's painless. I do however look like I have a "Connect the Dots" puzzle on my leg now though from doing the injections every week

My son just started 25mg oral. He takes Zofran 1/2 hour before the MTX to control any potential nausea. First dose was no problem. Still taking 20mg pred and hoping to start tapering soon.