• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Organising a holiday and Crohn's

Background: I'm in the UK, I've had Crohn's for almost twenty years (no surgery needed, occasional steroids, mesalazine the whole time), and I've seemingly found a balance that works for me with a very limited set of 'known safe' foods, and eating one or two 'chance' foods a week equally spaced out. If I deviate from that routine, it'll start to show in bowel movements, and if I ignore that then the wheels start falling off of remission. The last time I had a flare-up was earlier this year (what a flare-up is for me these days is despite reverting to a safe diet without any chance foods and no deviations, I have to use a maximum dose of mesa for several weeks before things truly calm down).

In this time the only holidays I've taken were to the in-laws in Germany plus one to Ireland with my parents and wife for a couple of weeks. During that holiday, I deviated from 'the balance' and the wheels started to fall off partway through the holiday. My wife and I need a holiday, there's no question about that (a lot of family problems in the last few years), and visiting in-laws is more like a commitment than it is a holiday, at least for me.

How do you all balance your dietary needs and going on holiday? One thought is to go for a holiday in the UK, somewhere with self-catering, perhaps take some food with me and ensure that there's a reasonably-sized supermarket near by, but I'm wondering if hotels are a no-go for anything more than say a weekend-length holiday, perhaps a week on the outside (and I guess I ought to play it very safe leading up to the holiday).

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
One option to look at if going on holiday is to book through Air b n b or something similar - then you could have your own kitchen to cook in. Also, some hotels (at least here in the US) offer 'suites' with kitchens at the price (or slightly higher) than a regular hotel room - Homewood Suites by Hilton is one that I use fairly regularly when traveling for more than a night or two at a time.

Also researching where you are going as far as food options is a good idea - a couple years ago I spent just under 3 weeks in Puerto Rico for work, and was able to manage any dietary needs.....this coming summer we will be taking a 3 week holiday to celebrate my daughter graduating from high school and will be traveling/on a cruise.

I don't let my diet slow me down, and do take it easy if I feel the need....

I would also recommend trying to find a place that has a small kitchen so you can prepare your own meals. If that doesn't work and it's only for a few days, pack some non-perishable "safe" foods that you know you won't regret eating a few minutes afterward.