• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Osteoporosis Infusions?

I'm not sure exactly what medicine I'll be ttakingoing but I've been told it will be a series of three infusions done in a hospital setting. Does anyone have any experience with these medications? How bad are the immediate side effects? I've heard they make you cramp really bad. How long will it take for me to start building bone?

From what I've found out, here in the UK, these infusions are done once a year for three years initially. Treatment is then reviewed.
The most common side effect appears to be some flu like symptoms...chills, muscle aches, slight fever...for a couple of days after the first infusion, easily treated with over the counter meds, and for this reason it's recommended that you don't plan to do anything in those days.
There's no mention anywhere about cramps.
I take oral alendronic acid once a week for osteoporosis and have wondered about asking about the infusions myself. Can I ask why you're having infusions rather than oral meds?
I forgot to say, the infusion is called zoledronic acid.
Bunty x

One of my dr.'s mentioned the infusions to me as well, but I did not go through with them YET. He did describe them as painful, describing them as Bunty did above. Wishing you the best.

From what I've found out, here in the UK, these infusions are done once a year for three years initially. Treatment is then reviewed.
The most common side effect appears to be some flu like symptoms...chills, muscle aches, slight fever...for a couple of days after the first infusion, easily treated with over the counter meds, and for this reason it's recommended that you don't plan to do anything in those days.
There's no mention anywhere about cramps.
I take oral alendronic acid once a week for osteoporosis and have wondered about asking about the infusions myself. Can I ask why you're having infusions rather than oral meds?
I forgot to say, the infusion is called zoledronic acid.
Bunty x
I've been seeing lots of once a year treatments. I can't find what my doctor described. She's told me that the infusions work by pulling calcium and placing it into the bones so it will hopefully fill some of those hollow spots and improve density. For this infusion you have to have extremely high blood calcium or the muscle cramps can become so severe that they lead to hospitalization. To prevent this you take large amounts of calcium several days prior to the infusions. I'm not sure why the infusions are broken up into three parts. It might be because they're being done in a children's hospital. Maybe it helps lessen the side effects.

My doctor wants to go with the infusions so I won't have any GI symptoms that go with oral meds. She's worried that the symptoms would be more severe with my Crohn's or that the meds could cause a flare. She also indicated that the infusions would work much faster than the pills.