• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Osteoporosis medications

Hi - I am a 50 yr old, female with Crohn's. Diagnosed 12 years ago. I was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis (spine T-score -2.7; left hip -2.1; right hip -2.6). I took prednisone for Crohn's disease when first diagnosed. I take calcium supplements, but do not consume much calcium. My Crohn's disease has been quite severe, leading to severe malnutrition and surgery to remove part of my intestine. I currently take Humira which seems to be working.

My question - Are any folks taking any of the bone building medications, such as Forteo, Tymlos, or Evinity for osteoporosis? Any feedback? My GI and PCP said that any of the medications would be fine for me to take. The endocrinologist suggested an injection, instead of a pill given my active Crohn's.

Thank you in advance for any feedback of your experiences!

Lynda Lynda

I have osteoporosis and osteopenia. I get a DEXA scan at my Endocrinologist office once or twice a year. My Endocrinologist monitors my hypothyroidism, my thyroid nodules and my bones. I take Vitamin D3 every day. Over the past several years I have also received Reclast Infusions, I had my 4th one this year. I have bad bones. This is the first year that my Endocrinologist seemed extra worried about my bones. I am 62 years old, diagnosed with Crohn's in 2018, but have been sick since 1997. I was on Humira for 3 years, then it quit working so my Gastroenterologist switched me over to Stelara 1.5 years ago ( plus Budesonide, Methotrexate, Folic Acid.)

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking to go on Evenity, Tymlos, or Reclast. I am waiting to hear which one my insurance will approve.