• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ostomy Bag Question

Hello all. I was wondering if there is anything other than stoma powder that can be used for treatment of irritation and broken skin around the stoma. I've been using the powder as my WOC nurse showed me, but a lot of the time it causes the adhesive not to stck as well which in turn leaves me waking with a leak. Thanks in advance for any help. :ycool:

Hi

I have had a stoma for about 5 years and the best thing I have found, when the skin feels irritated around the site is a cream skin barrier, your colorectal nurse should be able to advise, they do work and don't usually cause adhesion issues. Also, hope I am not teaching grandma to suck eggs, but make absolutely sure that you are not cutting the flange hole too large, as allowing the output to contact the skin can really irritate it.

Hope this helps
Paddy

LOSTnut

Poopy
Try to use skin barriers. They are like fake skin, very thin (from Convatec) and stick pretty good. It enables the skin underneath to heal pretty quickly. Hollister has some too, but it is a little thicker.

It helped me take care of the irritation and broken skin.

Good luck!

There is stomahesive powder made by Convatec. I use it all the time. call Convatec
1-800-422-8811 and ask for the product number and for skin barrier to put over it so the wafer sticks. They have ET nurses that man the phones each day you can talk to.

I've been a Convatec user for 25 years and have called them many times for samples (They are awesome at sending out free samples--ask them for some and they will send it to you!!) even the newer products.

Customer service is open at 8:30 am EST. hope this helps.

~Gutless Wonderwoman ileostomate for 25 years since age 17 :D

I found that's STOMAHESIVE PASTE (CONVATEC) is much more effective whereas the powder doesn't last long nor does it protect the skin & not to mention you'll get better wear of the ostomy bag, but of course always wipe the area with skin barrier wipes.

I use calomine lotion. It has 'no side effects' on the bottle and it works for me. Just give it a minute or so to dry.

Kaz xxx