• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ostomy bag question?

I usually wear a two-piece system as they always have belt tabs, which I need or else the bag falls off. I would like to move to a one-piece system as it costs less and they are usually a bit more flexible than two-piece systems. If you know of any one-piece systems with belt tabs please let me know. If it is a tapeless system, then even better because I am allergic to the tape.

Thank you very much,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many one-piece systems have belt loops, but there are other ways of supporting your pouch.

Have you tried any wafer extenders? What about support garments? Those options allow you to use your current pouch, although it seems that if your bag is falling off your skin, there's something else going on there - you should empty your pouch before it gets to half-full.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi ye I agree there are not many if any one piece pouches with loops. Your best bet is probably support wraps etc.just google ostomy supplies, lots of stuff will come up for you to have a look at. Good luck!!

Thank y'all. My skin has gotten worse under the wafer, but ever since I first had an ostomy, five years ago, the wafers never really stuck well. I'm allergic to the adhesive on them, so that doesn't help and I have had a rash for years that no one has been able to treat. So, I just go on my way. I have an osmotic wrap, but that doesn't help much and so I don't wear it often. I have a hernia belt (though it's just for my convince two-piece), which I wear to work out and when I need to heal my skin when I get a rash from the tape I put on to secure the wafer. I haven't done much research on this stuff in years so I figured I'd ask if things have changed much. I guess they haven't really changed. I keep sending convince emails asking to make a one-piece with a belt loop but get no response from them, unfortunately.

Thank y'all. My skin has gotten worse under the wafer, but ever since I first had an osmotic, five years ago, the wafers never really stuck well. I'm allergic to the adhesive on them, so that doesn't help and I have had a rash for years that no one has been able to treat. So, I just go on my way. I have an osmotic wrap, but that doesn't help much and so I don't wear it often. I have a hernia belt (though it's just for my convince two-piece), which I wear to work out and when I need to heal my skin when I get a rash from the tape I put on to secure the wafer. I haven't done much research on this stuff in years so I figured I'd ask if things have changed much. I guess they haven't really changed. I keep sending convince emails asking to make a one-piece with a belt loop but get no response from them, unfortunately.
Email Nu-Hope and see if their Nu-Comfort belt will work with your specific appliance. It requires no belt loops.

fuzzy butterfly

No not much has changer. IM afraid. I have seen a pouch cover that has a kind of belt/tie to it which would act like a belt I guess. Google ostomy pouch covers, and check out some sites, it comes as a one piece cover so no fiddling about to attach it. Give it a try and see if that might be a solution for you. !!

fuzzy butterfly

Best of luck hope you find something to help,
Wish I could draw what it looks like the one I'm on about so you'd know what to look for.basically its just a pouch cover with strap like things at the top that fit round your waist. !!

Okay awesome! Is it tight? My other worry is that I will be in the shower and have the device off and the pouch will just fall off. So I would need something tight and that is either cheap enough where I can buy multiples or something that dries off really quickly

fuzzy butterfly

Hi you should be able too have it as tight a you want I think that are adjustable with maybe Velcro strips so you can alter to fit. I was trying to find the site I saw them on, so I could send you the link, but couldn't find it :-(, but I'll keep looking and send it if I find it :) ..

fuzzy butterfly

PS you probably wouldn't wear it in shower, but if you worry about your pouch coming off, maybe this tip may help wind an old bandage around your pouch and waist and safety pin it, that should hold your pouch on. Then just rinse it and let it dry ready for next time. easy, simple and best of all cheap!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice, mandy! I will continue searching for those covers. If I could get one that's similar to my pants colors, it would be great! I'm going to keep emailing and calling people to see if I can get them to make me a one-piece with belt tabs. I'm also wondering if I can make an adjustable stoma guard where I can change the interior to fit around any shape I need it to and then I can just attach belt loops to that. That way stool doesn't just pile up. I don't really want to buy a super expensive one, as I don't think they are worth the price, but if I can make one myself it would be ideal. I remember my ostomy nurse told me about using the plastic from an old detergent bottle and some foam...

fuzzy butterfly

Your welcome Jeff, I'll keep an eye out for more sites tips etc. I'll be in touch if i find anything worthwhile. Best wishes :)

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Jeff, sorry this may turn in to a bit of a book,lol. I'll be blowed if I can find the site I mentioned before. Here is my home made version..buy some elastic maybe about 2/3 inches wide and a bit longer than your waist measurement, get any plain pouch cover , some Velcro fasting,fold elastic in half and cut at fold,, sew Velcro hook part on one piece at one end of the elastic and loop part on the other piece of elastic at one
end then hook together, then put round your waist, and pin each end to a pouch cover near the top of the cover at each side, undo the Velcro and then sew the the pinned elastic to the pouch cover, cut of any excess,if when you first put elastic around your waist fasten it so you have some room for tightening it at a later time. Hope this may be useful to you as a cheap pouch support and to help keep pouch attached. Best wishes

end

Last edited:
Mandy, thank you for your help! Could you possibly link a picture as I'm not quite understanding what you mean haha. Thank you!

fuzzy butterfly

Haha its easy when its in your head, buy not as easy trying to explain to someone else lol. Trouble is I'm not sure how to upload a picture, I'm a bit of a dinosaur lol..I'll see what I can do !! Bear with :)

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Jeff sorry can't suss this out,I know how to do it via email if you want, I'd understand if you don't.if you don't want to do it via email, I'll see if I can find someone who can do it for me..it might be easy on a computer but I'm only on my phone :-(...it would only be my poxy drawing by the way lol!!

fuzzy butterfly

Just thought this site has a private msg option if you want to send me your e mail address through that, its up to you no pressure by the way....of course I'd delete it after so it would be gone from my email box..

fuzzy butterfly

Hi again lol Check out the sub forum here for Stoma covers and clothing for ostomates may be a link on there that helps?.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi glad you could make sense of it, sometimes visual can help explain it better. Ye the Velcro one you mentioned might work, but I wonder if it may be a bit scratchy on the skin, its not the softest of materials.you may need to line it with something softer... Hope one of our ideas work or even both.best wishes n let me know how you get on, take care..

fuzzy butterfly

Haha I'm sure you'll be fine :) sorry for late reply but I was asleep, not Sure what if any time difference there is as I'm in the UK and you may be in another country. So hope I don't wake you...doesn't help that the time on here isn't set right Coz I didn't set it at the time I joined lol :)

haha, yes I am in the United States. Definitely did not wake me. I'm pretty sure you can change the time for your own time zone. You just have to go look through your profile settings. I've moved around the country several times, so I have often changed my time zone. Though I have not been very active on this forum for years, I still like to check in and answer some questions while asking a few of my own haha.

fuzzy butterfly

Ah ok I thought you might be, just because a lot of members are lol. Ok glad I didn't wake you. Iv only recently Joined but I'm finding it really good. take care and hope the sewing goes well!!

fuzzy butterfly

ha iv just

Hi Jeff,I was looking through some threads and I worked out that you are about the same age as my son (26/27) not only that but on the faces to names thread, you even have a look of him too, how mads that lol. How's the sewing going ??.best wishes, Mandy .. ps iv woke my netbook from a long kip lol and discovered extra stuff i couldnt do on my fone , see iv managed to post an avatar whoo hoo !!!!and found emoticons :ywow:. lol

Last edited:
Hi Jeff. Perhaps this is a silly question but have you experimented with all the available brands of ostomy supplies to try to find one that suits your skin better? All the adhesives are different and it took me a while to work out that the Coloplast adhesive suited my skin the best. There have also been a number of new products within the last few years. You shouldn't have to put up with irritated skin under the wafer.

Susan, thank you for your advice. Yes, I have tried pretty much every company. Coloplast falls off of me within minutes, Hollister is okay and about the same as Convatec. I have also tried a few others, but they all make my skin weepy (including one brand which is supposed to be great for people with skin issues). Convatec lasts me the longest time, but I'm still allergic to the tape, so I cut it off and add a different tape in order to keep it on my stomach.

Have you tried putting Tegaderm on your skin BEFORE applying the bag? Tegaderm is super thin adhesive dressing that allows your skin to breath, yet blocks out moisture. Many people who are sensitive to adhesive can tolerate Tegaderm (myself included!). It is a bit on the expensive side, but there are off-brand substitutes that work well also. It is used very frequently in surgery because it is tolerated well.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi Jeff, have you tried hydrocolloid dressings? If not try looking them up in google or asking your Ibd nurse or doc they are pretty anti allergic, best wishes.

I have not tried tegaderm. What are the offbrands, as I can't afford something too expensive?
Opsite Flexifix is similar.

You could also try Stoma Seals by Costa Medical, which are made of Tegaderm, but are pre-cut into a disk. The founder of that company has severe allergies to the adhesives in ostomy wafers, but this works for her.

Same idea - but it on your skin before applying the wafer.