• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Our Mayo Visit

Sorry its taken me a bit to update on here. We got back late Friday. Been waiting to post until we got biopsy reports back. We got them today.

I am so glad we went. It was an easy drive. 6 hrs, but felt less. I loved the GI we met with and loved his nurse. The whole place was really great. They are so professional and calm. Just what we needed. We met with the GI first thing on Tuesday. He said that even tho Brian has been dealing with this for years, he likes to start at the beginning and 'teach' us what he knows about crohns. He talked about treating 'brian' instead of treating textbook crohns. He ordered a colonoscopy and MRE. Even tho we had just had a scope in March, he said he wanted to see everything himself. Brian's area of trouble has been his rectum and this area looked still very much inflamed, but not any pus. It was white, which might be indication of healing starting to happen. In March, our other KC GI said from biopsies 'his crohns was everywhere except his esophogus'. After getting biopsy reports, Our Mayo GI said that his esophogus was good, his stomach initially showed 'streaking', but upon further study...this is minor abrasions from the NG tube. Its expected and not anything of worry. He said there was evidence of some microscopic areas in the large bowel, but that he expected this. And his terminal ileum was swollen shut again. The MRE showed nothing above the terminal ileum.(our old GI had told us in July that his small bowel was affected-all based on his growth and no MRE ordered-which bothered us...felt like a guess)
Mayo GI said the pill camera is not a good idea right now, but maybe in the future. On our first visit with him, he discussed that sometimes surgery is what a patient 'needs', but on Friday after all our tests, he doesn't feel this is necessary. He wants to take an aggressive approach with the medicine. He added mtx back in, but by injection and wanted to do Cimzia every 2 weeks instead of its usual monthly interval. We just finished loading doses every 2 weeks apart, so we'll just stay on that schedule. He upped the EN to 90% of his caloric intake. He agreed to be the lead in Brian's care and the KC doctors will report to him since that's what we'd like. We'll repeat colonoscopy after 6 months and before 12 months from now. He also will do labs every 2 weeks for 3 months. (It seemed like we had to remind old GI to do monthly labs when B was on oral mtx. )

I really really liked him. The pictures from the colonoscopy were large and were photographs! I was really impressed with Mayo. One thing I liked was when i conveyed concern over the increased amount of Cimzia...he explained it like, "It matters what Brian's body is doing with the Cimzia. If he is producing 'larger amounts of tnf...and we are giving him the usual amount, then that's only knocking off the tip. He said some people metabolize the medicines more quickly and the drug leaves their body faster...thus needing more. He said the risks don't increase with larger doses. Its either you're taking it or you're not. And he watches more for infections far more than the t cell 'C' risk. After 6 months, if Brian is doing well, then he may back off the meds a bit. I asked what he labeled Brian in regards to mild, moderate and severe. He said, His crohns is moderately active. He feels hopeful we'll get it under control. I loved his positive nature. That has been a big complaint of our current GI. He is also going to be instumental in us working with a new GI at our clinic that he knows and has come to Mayo to train. We slightly touched on the area of feeling unsure and unconfident in the care we've been receiving in the past 14 months. Also, he told us that the team of GI doctors met and discussed Brian. The "Team" approach.
Also, Mayo has a portal. We can email the 'team' and see lab results etc. Awesome!
Sorry this is so long!

Last edited:
And Tess, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your post way back when on my EN at Night thread about using the ng tube in contrast tests. We took it to the hospital. The radiologist was impressed. We got both bottles down NO PROBLEM!! In the right amount of time too. I took one of our bolus syringes and it made it an easy task. I was praising you the whole time and tellling everyone in my family how awesome your idea was!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Wow, it sounds like a great apptmt!!! And a great arrangement to still have a GI close to home but know that this new GI is the guy calling the shots! So glad you went!!

Glad the tube worked well! ;)

crohnsinct

Wow! That is all awesome! Thanks for sharing and educating us as well...the new GI's approach and theories etc echo our GI so your post really helped me!

So glad to hear the appointment went well! I was thanking Tesscorm too, when C was hospitalized and had to do the MRE, the NG tube went over much better than slogging all that down!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Now if I could only get my family to listen to me!! :emot-nyd: :yrolleyes: :yfaint: ................. :wine:

Hahaha, Tess!! I wish my family listened to me too. Great ideas, glad you shared them.

Brian's mom- so happy to hear you got some great information and that the Dr was so positive. I am grateful for your post, it helps me understand the disease a little better too!

Brian's mom,
I really appreciate your post as we are debating on taking Caitlyn for another opinion. Thanks for the detailed explanations too!

We have the erythema nodosum on one leg...hope this medicine works. We start the every 2 week regime of Cimzia today. (Finally got the new script approved and delivered). 2nd mtx injection tonight

Ha, we used her g-tube to get the drink down for her ct scan and the nurse said she wished all kids had one. It's times like that I'm so glad she has a g-tube.

I'm so glad all went good. We also loved our trip. Grace only had one bad night but the rest she was happy and enjoying the trip.

Of course being told by all the docs and nurses how cute you are helps you to enjoy your trip.:rof: No one told me that!:ybatty:

I was just wondering how the erythema nodosum is going? My daughter currently has 2 lumps on her leg - one on the inside of her knee and one on her shin. She had terrible knee pain right before they popped up and she says the lumps are very painful even if something barely brushes against them. Prednisone helped clear them in the past but she is only on Pentasa now (which is not very helpful). Hoping your son's are clearing!!

Dancemom, They cleared in 10 days. Like a virus!! In fact, our pediatrician said he most likely came across a virus and then that triggered the erythema nodosum. What seemed to help was to keep his legs up and limit his activity. Our Mayo GI did NOT want to do any prednisone and not an antibiotic either. Take peace in that they will go away. Once our son's bumps began to deepen in color (purlpleish) they were on the way out.

A has had them since she was 2. She may get a week or 2 break here and there but they always come back. Only Prednisone gave her true relief. I'm glad your son's course was a short one!

A has had them since she was 2. She may get a week or 2 break here and there but they always come back. Only Prednisone gave her true relief. I'm glad your son's course was a short one!
I'm so sorry because I've seen how painful they are. I put ice on them. Had him elevate his legs. And put steroid ointment on them (although this really didn't do much). Tylenol helped too.

Greypup, That'll be good going on a Monday. You'll have enough time for them to run the tests they want. to. If you're going to Minnesota, we met with Dr. Stephens. We really liked him. Found out while we were there he is the IBD director and he was recruited by Mayo. He was previously in Wisconsin and was the director there too.

Do you think they are likely to run a lot of tests? M had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in Aug. She had resection surgery in June. I am looking forward to more information but also nervous.

I'll PM you where we stayed. I loved it and it has a shuttle.

You'll love it there. Each appointment took 2-3 hours. They never rushed us out.
They have a great on-line portal. All the lab results, doctors opinions and such make there way on it. I love it.

Get a folder ready. I used a 3 ring binder with folders and paper. You'll get a lot of papers. Also your schedule will change so you will get new itineraries constantly. Keep it in a safe place.
Bring reading material. We loved going so we didn't mind sitting for awhile.

Do you think they are likely to run a lot of tests? M had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in Aug. She had resection surgery in June. I am looking forward to more information but also nervous.
Our son had a scope done in March...we were there Oct 29th and they did one too. He said "I want to see things for myself". I liked that about him. We did labs and MRE. That was all we did. I wanted a pill cam, but because my son's terminal ileum was swollen too much, it was too risky to do that.

We stayed in a hospital that connected to the Mayo clinic. Everything is connected with underground walk ways and sky walks. We stayed at the The Kahler Inn and Suites. There is also one called The Kahler Grand. On the Mayo website there is a link to nearby hotels. There are MANY to choose from :)
And shuttles take you anywhere.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I know I am way late to this Kathy but just wanted say that I am so happy for you that the appointment was a brilliant one! :):):)

:mademyday:

Dusty. xxx