• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Out of hospital.....feeling good!!

Hi,
Just an update on my experience dealing with this horrible disease.....
My GI put my remicade treatment in hold as bloods were showing some odd things, plus I was getting bad arthritis like pains and the remicade wasn't working as well as it used to! I was put on Pred in the mean time to try and keep things under control.
After less than a week on pred, no improvement so my GI admitted me to hospital. I was put on iv steroids and sent for an MRI, xrays, colonoscopy etc.
The initial plan was to try methotrexate asap. I was able to see a rheumatologist again while I was in hospital and was diagnosed with drug induced lupus from the remicade!! It was a suprise but I was lucky in that the arthritis symptoms have gone since stopping the remicade. It just sux that I can't take any of that type of drug anymore!!
After five or so days on iv steroids, still no improvement.....so there was a lot more discussions and a new plan!! (GI was concerned something had to be done asap and methotrexate would take to long to work)I had only one more option to try or I would be having surgery! cyclosporin and azathioprine.
I was put on a continuos iv of cyclosporin for 6 or 7days.....I got used to draging my iv stand and a portable telematry monitor around 24hour a day!!But the drug worked!!!
There were a couple of complications with an mild infection and some heart issues so the iv was stoped early(was suposed to run for 10days) but I finally got to go home 3weeks after being admitted!!
I'm still taking oral cyclosporin for a few more weeks until the aza kicks in, everything is going well. I have to get magnesium infusions twice a week, a side effect from the cyclosporin! So I managed to make it home in one piece.....I'm just hoping things will go smoothly when I stop the cyclosprin!!
Hope I didn't bore you too much.....
Thanks for reading this!

M

Hey M...
Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Sorry to hear the effects of the Remicade, but glad you had one more option before surgery. I wish you continued success with the cyclosporin and azathioprine. Enjoy the relief. Keep us posted.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Whew, what a lot you've gone through in the past few weeks. Keep on feeling better, and staying out of surgery if possible!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the update! It is so good to hear that you feeling so well, may it last and last.

So happy for you, :):):)
Dusty

omg! Wow! I'm happy to hear your home. Its always weird for me when I come home from an extended stay....Good luck..Keep heading in a good direction. Sue :)

Astra

Aw Mussen

So glad you're feeling much better! Wishing you good luck with your meds!
xxxx