• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Out of remission, What Meds Worked For You?

Hey y'all! I need some help.

I just had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and abscess drainage surgery performed today. I had been in remission for about a year. However, my surgeon is concerned with the progress of my disease; my rectum was very friable and inflammed, and the presence of the abscess is not a good sign.

I really need some input on medications, as I have had negative responses to Remicade, Humira, Cimzia, and Prednisone. I'm just trying to gather up some information for my upcoming consult at the GI clinic.

For my first abscess, I was on Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa and azathioprine. They worked ok until I started getting fistulas and had to go on Remicade.

Agreed Stelara might be a good option. Also Entyvio. Have you tried any of the immuno modulators, like Imuran or methotrexate?

I don't have any experience with 6mp or methotrexate. Does anyone know if Stelara has been FDA approved for Crohn's?

My information could be out of date but the last I heard was that it had only been approved for psoriasis but was expected to be approved for Crohns Disease.

I don't have any experience with 6mp or methotrexate. Does anyone know if Stelara has been FDA approved for Crohn's?
Not yet unfortunately but the studies has been done and I believe they are looking to secure approval in the next year or less.