• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ovaltine

Got a few free samples in the mail. Are they on the safe list ( I guess thats what you all call it).

Im on a soft/bland low fiber diet and struggling to find foods that fit with that.

This is Ovaltine Rich Chocolate

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with it. I like it better than the syrup used to make chocolate milk. The chocolate malt flavor is my favorite.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I personally prefer nesquik. But, when I've had ovaltine before I've done alright. It says that their rich chocolate is 99.9% caffeine free. Can always try one to see how it does on you. Good luck:)

look on the product label, the list of vitamins and minerals...

I drink the Nesquick but I mix it with 2% milk,
it gives me my sodium, protien, vitamins A, B6, C, Biotin, Calcium, Zinc, Iron, Copper, Vitamin D, and Manganese,

there is no vitamin E in it which is good because you dont want to mix Iron and vitamin E...

I am pretty sure the ovaltine is fine,

This is what I was given by the nutritionist while i was in the hospital for a low fiber diet.

deffinate no no's with a low fiber diet would be Bran, wheat germ, nuts, seeds, whole wheat flour or added flour..

frozen yogurt is good, sherbert or sorbet, even water Ice,
applesauce, fruit cocktail, bananas, apricots, peaches,

cherries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries are on the do not eat list, but I will put a few blueberries in my applesauce because blueberries are good for the heart, and if there is strawberry shortcake in front of me, Im not gonna turn it away lol, I havent had any major problems with it, but still they are on the not to eat list.

BEANS< PEAS< LENTILS< off limits, especially kidney beans, you will have gas!

scrambled eggs are good for protein,
peanut butter is good for energy, but not the crunchy kind.

stay away from foods that have been deep fried and foods that have a bread coating
corned beef, beef jerky is on the dont list too,

cottage cheese or riccota cheese is ok
custard or pudding is ok

stay away from raw uncooked vegtables,
cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts are off limits

tomatoes (they have seeds) cucumbers lima beans and squash are off limits,
no coconuts, and stay away from the peels on fruits and vegtables.

POPCORN :( sorry, but no popcorn

cream of wheat is good becuase it will give you Iron and Calcium
Grits are safe,
Belgian Waffles are good,

now im hungry again lol time for a snack!:ylol:

for some reason I thought chocolate was a no no. Ive read so many places the last few days Im sure im confusing it all.

Ive also read that tea is a no no but im still drinking it, regular sweet tea.. how bad is that or coffee for me? Im sure its a caffine issue right?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Yes, usually chocolate is a no no. But, for some reason they seem to make some hot chocolate/chocolate milk mix brands pretty much caffeine free. Unfortunately, a person won't know if the chocolate milk mix is a no no for them until they try it for themselves. Sad to say that I've been so sick for so long that a little chocolate doesn't seem to hurt me or at least I don't really notice the difference. But, majority of the time I'm a good girl and stay away from it!

Caffine is supposed to be a no no, but a cup here and there doesn't bother me.
Caffine and chocolate are supposed to be good for the brain,

Thank you for your responses. I get really confused. Like... I dont even know why I am even on this diet. But I think that is a question to add to my list of others for the dr lol, I have so many.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Best thing to do is to find out what works and what doesn't for you. Each one of us is a little different on what we can tollerate. Good luck in your findings:)