• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overactive Bladder?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else with Crohn's has noticed that since being diagnosed they have had an overactive bladder.

It has just recently been brought to my attention (I just thought I was being an anxious, crazy person lol) that I literally go to the bathroom way too much. I cannot fall asleep sometimes because I have the urge to go to the bathroom, but then when I go, I don't have to. I know it's not a UTI or Yeast Infection b/c I just recently had my urine tested.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what you've done, or taken, to help. Thanks!

:rosette1:

I have not been diagnosed yet, but I have severe intestinal pains all the time and cramping. My gastro keeps saying IBS, but I am still having to go through tests.

One thing I will say is that there is a condition called Interstitial cystitis which is a condition that effects the bladder. The symptoms can vary and are usually Urinary frequency, Urgency, pain, feeling like you really got to go, but when you do only a little comes out..

I mean I have noticed that when My intestines are flaring, I also feel like I gotta pee a lot. I think it is just pressure from everything esle being irritated down there and the bladder is so close to the intestines( I mean the nerves) so that could be causing you to have to pee a lot too.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else with Crohn's has noticed that since being diagnosed they have had an overactive bladder.

It has just recently been brought to my attention (I just thought I was being an anxious, crazy person lol) that I literally go to the bathroom way too much. I cannot fall asleep sometimes because I have the urge to go to the bathroom, but then when I go, I don't have to. I know it's not a UTI or Yeast Infection b/c I just recently had my urine tested.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what you've done, or taken, to help. Thanks!

:rosette1:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm not sure if they're directly related, but I have had bladder issues for years (recurrent UTIs) and I also have some form of IBD. I've noticed that when my bowels are full or distended or inflamed in any way, it seems to push on my bladder more and I do have to urinate more often, so you may be experiencing something similar. I also tend to drink more water, because with the IBD I get dehydrated easily, so that also contributes to me having to pee frequently. So I would imagine that you've probably got something like that happening, but if you notice anything like blood in your urine, dark or cloudy urine, pain when urinating, etc - then do get it checked out right away as that would be more indicative of something serious like an infection.

Thanks guys. :) I will definitely speak to my gastro about it-I agree I drink a lottttt of water as well, all the time! I get dehydrated so quickly recently-esp after surgery. But yeah, it's just so annoying having this feeling that I have to pee before I go to sleep and not being able to make the feeling settle down until I finally doze off (which takes about 3-4 trips to the bathroom before.)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It usually takes me at least 2 trips to the bathroom before I can fall asleep, so I can relate. I try not to drink anything for an hour or so before bedtime and that helps somewhat. If you drink anything like caffeine or alcohol, those can contribute to dehydrating you, so try to avoid those too (easier said than done, I know - I haven't had a soda in years but I like a glass of wine every so often). I have a hard time falling asleep in general too so I'm sure that contributes as well. I'm glad you're going to talk to your doctor about it, I hope they can shed some light onto this.

Before I was diagnosed my pee did all sorts of crazy things, I used to go to the toilet every five minutes, I had little solid pieces in my urine and it hurt like hell to urinate. For a long time the doctors thought I had a UTI and treated it as such (with no success). It later turned out that I had a bladder to bowel fistula, after surgery my urinary habits have thankfully returned to normal :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I didn't start having overactive bladder issues until just last year. I went to my regular doctor and told them about my symptoms which were the same as yours taylorali. They tested for everything, even pregnancy and everything came back normal except they found traces of blood in my urine. Tested it again months later and there was still traces of blood (I can't see it). I was sent to a urologist where again, they found blood and so they did a scope of my bladder to make sure there weren't any fistulas or bladder cancer. All was clear in the scope.

My urologist said that overactive bladder can cause traces of blood in the urine and gave me a prescription for Vesicare 5mg. I haven't been tested for blood again yet but I will in March when I see the urologist again. So far the Vesicare has helped a lot with getting up to pee at night even if I didn't really have to go (sometimes it was just a couple drips). The first night I took it I felt sort of fuzzy "down there" and didn't have the urge to go at all. I don't have that fuzzy feeling anymore as its been months since I started it but I found that it worked instantly.

Moral of the story, see a urologist and get the issue sorted out there. :)

Kev

Well, not to raise any false alarms, but I suffered similar issues. I started noticing them right after taking my 5-ASA... I could anticipate it to follow. But, it gradually got worse. I had some test done, and lo N behold... I'm now diabetic. It might be anything in your case, but whatever it is or isn't, you need to see your doctor and have it all checked out.

Thank you all for responding. Definitely going to be checking with my surgeon & GI next week when I see them. Hopefully they'll refer me to a urologist to see what the heck is going on down there.

My periods are all out of wack too after my surgery-so I think an appointment with the gyno is another must do. Damn I hate doctor's appointments and even more, the unknown!

When they do the scope, do they put you to sleep for that? I've been catherderized more times than I'd like to admit, and it sure as hell is no pleasant feeling as I am sure many woman can vouch for, so just wondering.

whick kinda scope are you referring to. a colonoscopy or a scope of the bladder. I would think they sedate you for all those procedures.
ju

me neither. I have an overactive bladder. being complaining of it for a while. I would literally just be in bed and would need to get up again. my gp said that I need to hold it longer and try and stretch it a bit. she thinks it might be a small baldder I have.
ive never followed it up though.
ju

I love when doctor's tell you to just "deal" with it.

It's SO annoying to have to get up 5 times because you "think" you have to pee-but nothing comes out! I try to strech it out, but I just can't fall asleep without that feeling not being there!

Going to my doctor next Tuesday so I will get back to you all on what happens. :) Thanks for all your help! :D

They are going to refer you to a urologist. I personally if I were you, you should look into seeing a urogynecologist, they are WAY better when it comes to dealing with female urinary issues. Urologists Suck!! They are more use to to dealing with men.

I love when doctor's tell you to just "deal" with it.

It's SO annoying to have to get up 5 times because you "think" you have to pee-but nothing comes out! I try to strech it out, but I just can't fall asleep without that feeling not being there!

Going to my doctor next Tuesday so I will get back to you all on what happens. :) Thanks for all your help! :D

I have had this done three times. I will admit, the first time was VERY painful! I think it was because I had some idiot urologist that was not use to scoping women though. You can get sedated for it, I did my second time around( only because the first idiot traumatized me). Some people do fine and do not feel too much pain though, especially if you are in trained hands. One thing to remember is make sure they give you an antibitoic to take either right before the test or afterwards!! The second scope I had the urogyne gave me 2 antibitoic pills. One to take right after the procedure and one for the next day since there is a risk of getting a UTI after this procedure is done.. You will be fine, try not to worry to much about it. It is a rather quick procedure.

Scope of your bladder. I've never had one, so I was just curious how the procedure is done.