• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overcoming the obstacles

At the early age of 6 I was diagnosed with what doctors thought was ulcerative colitis but later found out it was crohns.I spent the majority of my childhood hospitalized and as a result of the disease I had seizures,stroke at the brain and blood clots in both legs inferior vena cava and even my heart.I later had surgery to have a colostomy which I still have and very thankful for.This all occured before the age of 13.After the surgery I was able to attend school and no longer had to be home schooled.Im able to go out and have a normal life.Now at the age of 22 I am a college nursing student.My advice to those who suffer from crohns,colitis or any other IBD is to not let it destoy you.You can have a life and not let the disease be your life.

annawato

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Jessica. You seem to have a fantastic positive attitude to the disease particularly since you had such a hard time as a child. I guess the trials we face just make us stronger.

Astra

Welcome Jessica
and thank you for your words of encouragement and inspiration!
I wish you good luck for the future
xxx

Angrybird

Hello Jessica and :welcome: to the forum.

I am so pleased you have been able to come through such hard times with a great attitude! I take it the tum it settled? Are you on any meds now?

Wishing you all the best for your nursing career :)

AB
xx

@angrybird right now im taking Asacol but I only take it as needed.Ginger ale helps alot but as far as pain I try to let it go away on its on if its severe a tylenol will usually help