• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overdue introduction

Well...as my daughter is fond of saying...time to stop being a "creeper" and give you my story. I'm not very good at things like this so please put up with me. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in May 2013 and here's a summary of how I got to where I am today:

In Feb 2013 I was sick as I had not been before. After 2 days of major stomach pain and nausea I started to feel better but not great. Thought I had a bad case of flu/food poisoning. After several weeks of limping along I finally went to see a doctor. After blood tests and ultrasounds it was determined I had ovarian cysts and fibroid tumors and "free floating fluid" in my abdomen. Several more Dr. visits and tests...they decided to do surgery to reduce the cysts. About a week before said surgery I ended up in the ER with yet more pain and what was thought to be a bad appendix.

I woke up after surgery minus a healthy appendix and a lovely drain in place to drain an abscess. (Remember the "free floating fluid" never investigated?? ) Diagnosed with diverticulitis, several more ultrasounds, CT and CTE scans, Colonoscopy, X-rays and probably more tests I have forgotten about and moderate to severe Crohn's Disease was the official diagnosis.

Treatment tried:
*Entocort - Was I in for a price shock when I picked it up at the pharmacy and then it didn't work :eek2:
*4 months of Prednisone - my body really liked this, what a treat that was and so not worth the much needed shot of energy

Currently meds:
*Azathioprine 150 mgs daily
*Ranitadine 150mgs daily
*Omeprazole 20 mgs daily (yep, heartburn and stomach acid are good friends of mine)

Things are still not under control so B12 has been added. (30lb weight loss and a current weight of 109lbs are not impressing my doctors and I'm getting tired of shopping in the juniors department...I am long past wearing clothing with rainbows and glitter :ylol2:) Remicade was prescribed a couple of weeks ago but my insurance has decided they apparently know better than my doctors and have denied it. They figure I haven't tried enough meds yet so they recommended Humira. After waiting yet again for the approval process for the medication they themselves suggested I am now "conditionally approved" for Humira.

So that's where I am at now. Many thanks to all for sharing your personal experiences and helping me to understand this disease in terms I can understand.

On a lighter note...I've noticed some here have a fondness for wine. My husband and I have been making wine at home for some years. Not only does it make my friends happy but it might keep a bit of my sanity after some of my experiences lately. :dance: :wine:

Last edited:
Haha about the "creeper" comment from your daughter! One thing about kids...they keep your ego in check, lol! I'm glad you joined the forum. I'm new and still figuring it all out, so no great advice, but wanted to say hi and hugs. My teenage granddaughters are jealous of my size 1 junior jeans. If they only knew, right???

I just found this site today and I may have 'crept' about here for weeks but saw your post and decided to go for it straight away.
I Now realise I am so luck to live in a country with a National Health Service.
I had to have a nasal gastric feed for a while and now can't stop eating! We are never happy are we.

You are SO right about the National Health service, Fififluff! I see you live in Ireland and I am in Texas. Believe it or not, HERE, there are people who will argue your hind leg off about whether everyone should be entitled to health care. I am lucky enough to have it and it's still expensive! All it takes is one illness, especially one like THIS, to convince somebody though. It's predictable that they are the healthy ones. Anyway, I'm new too, but this forum has made me feel SO much better. We are in it together!

Thanks Alison,
I am actually from Scotland but it is the same thing, we may complain about it but I have been so grateful especially reading other peoples stories on here.
Take care

I too have learned very useful information from the forum. Not only has it been a relief to know there are others in similar situations but everyone is so welcoming and more than willing to help with any questions or concerns.

As an otherwise healthy person in my life, dealing with my health insurance company lately has been another learning experience for me and at the moment it is very frustrating.