• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overnight grade school field trip

Hi all,

Would like your opinions/experience on overnight school field trips for the younger ones.

This one is for one night on a (docked) working sea ship. My son is 10. I'm not worried about handling/skipping medications for just one night. At first I thought, no big deal, but then started second guessing it as I filled out the medical condition form and now need his doc's signature. He is immune suppressed, won't eat the meals, and will get exhausted - the kids work as deck hands and have a night watch. Feels like not a great idea, that he might get really sick.

But I hate-hate-hate having his condition dictate on something everyone else can do. I think I've already ruled out the multi-night 6th grade camp and 8th grade east coast trips for him (which may not even be an option anyway, with budget cuts and fairness issues right now).

Thoughts? Thanks!

Best thing I think would be to ask him. If he really wants to do it then one night away should be ok. Is it far away, if it isn't too far, then if he feels unwell, I am sure the teachers/carers can phone you and you can go get him. If they know he has a medical condition, maybe they can give him some of the lighter work and just part of the night work (hopefully without letting him know:ysmile:). These poor kids spend more than their fair share of time in and out of doctors and hospitals, it's nice to sometimes just let them attempt normal activities (within reason)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
There was talk of not letting me go with the rest of the kids when I was 10 too. I even had a central IV in at the time. My parents let me go on the multi night camping trip and I was fine. Was on 6MP, Asacol and Prednisone at the time.

Personally I think you should talk to your son about it. Kids can take care of themselves pretty well actually and there are many adults around for them to go to if there's ever a problem.

Since he has a medical condition they wont force him to do anything and will monitor him.

I'll probably be the only person who doesn't see what the big deal is mainly because I've been in his shoes and know what its like to have fun things taken away due to Crohn's.

Tesscorm

Staff member
I agree with the above about letting him go (especially if it's nearby) but I, too, would be on pins and needles while he's away! :ghug:

I sorry Jenn. I don't think children should ever leave the house no matter what their physical state.
I think they should stay little and never leave for kindergarten.:stinks:

I'm sure the advice you've been given from others is for more bias than my today.:redface:
I'm sure he'll have a great time.:heart::D:heart:

My 11 year old went on her first school overnight trip last Oct and it was SO hard to let her go. I was so worried. But she did great and the staff were wonderful. This summer she went to sleep away camp for 8 days for the first time!! She was 10 :) She has so much fun! I say ask him, and if he wants to go you have your answer :)

We had to do this last year, a month after my son was diagnosed. They were suppose to build shelter, fix their own meals, sleep outside the whole deal. I was nervous but i talked to teachers and voiced my concerns. They made sure Johnny had extra food, could sleep inside if it was cold/rainy and would be given extra water and hand wipes. He was also allowed to have a phone to text me if he needed anything. Everything went great and he was so glad he didn't have to miss it. This summer he went away to camp for a week and that didn't go as well. He lost weight while he was gone and I don't think they were great about giving him his meds. So as long as you communicate I would think one night would be fine.

Thanks all! Not worried about him for 1 night away in of itself. He went to Camp Oasis last July for 5 nights which was rough on me, but I wasnt worried about his meds there at all. I don't feel the same about school trips, even my older, non-Crohns son was not given his allergy meds while on his east-coast trip last Apr. I am more worried about the after-effects, exposure risk. Coordinated with the teacher so he'll get an 'easier' shift that won't disrupt his sleep schedule too much. Checked in with his GI and she gave permission and said not to worry. So, OK. For future, would have to be case by case for each situation and child's current health!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Late to the party...again! :lol:

I agree with letting him go on the trip! Which you have! :)

My kids weren't that young when I had to make those decisions but I have made many, many of them on a case by case basis over the years. They were all school excursions with the farthest away being New Zealand for 10 days! Yikes! They all went off well without any hitches. I think the hardest decision I had to make was Matt going to Sydney for 4 days only about 4 weeks after his surgery. He really wanted to go so I let him, the teachers were great and I think it helped his recovery immensely. He was whacked by the time he got back but that kickstart back to normality after such an awful few months was priceless.

Good luck! I hope he has a fab time! :):):)

Dusty. xxx

Update: SUCCESS on the overnight field trip! Alex had a blast. The teacher generously gave him the morning shift at my request, so he got the most sleep of the group and is naturally an early riser. Plus, he had KP duty and his group got to bang pots and pans to wake all the other kids. It was a great experience for him and it all went smoothly.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh wow Jenn! This is so fab to read! :):):)

I am so happy that everything went well and Alex had a blast! Priceless!

:mademyday:

Dusty. xxx

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Very cool! I used to go on Girl Scout outings, summer camp, etc etc.....didn't let medications or illness slow me down...so glad to read he had a blast!