• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overusing antibiotics?

Hi,

I've got a perianal fistula (had it off and on for 14 years now). In the past, a quick course of antibiotics (Cipro and Flagyl) really helped to clear it up, sometimes for a relatively long time.

However, this year it's come back and has been really hard to get rid of. I've been on the antibiotics twice in the last 6 months and I've only seen a little improvement while I'm on them, and then as soon as the course is done the fistula is as active as ever within a week or so. I'm also on 6MP and Cimzia right now, and nothing seems to be budging the fistula. My doctor wants to put me back on antibiotics, but I feel like they're just not working anymore. I also can't stand the taste of the Flagyl, so part of me just doesn't want to do that again, but I also think they've lost their response. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Dan

Hi Copeland, my CRS thinks that antibiotics are not suitable as a long-term treatment. Have you considered surgery (or at least a draining seton)?

Lynda Lynda

Antibiotics always mess up my colon and give me watery diarrhea. But I was treated for C-Diff in 2015 with oral Vancomycin and it worked great. All my doctors have it in their charts that I cannot take antibiotics.I was treated for a Urinary Tract Infection recently and was prescribed ciprofloxin and this antibiotic did not appear to make me ill ( although my colon was already starting to get sick before that. )

Anal Fistulectomy operation 1992
Lapascopic Cholestectomy operation 1995
Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed in 2006, but have been sick since 1997. I have suffered from yellow watery diarrhea this entire time except for a brief time in 2014 and 2016 when I was severely constipated.
Two Rectal Abscess surgeries 2002 and 2009
Three colonoscopies and endoscopies 2006, 2009, 2014
Previous medications : Asacol and Lialda 2006- ?
Current medication : Cholestyramine Powder Packets ( I have been taking the Cholestyramine for probably 13 years ) Cholestyramine helps me to control my diarrhea ( and eating properly, of course. ) I have never been diagnosed with BAM.
Treated for C-Diff in 2015
Recent stool test confirmed calprotectin level of 694, I am eating a liquid diet right now until I see a Nurse Practitioner on March 26th, 2018.
I have been receiving Social Security Disability benefits since 2013 for physical and mental health problems.
I have not worked at a job since 2009.
I am 57 years old.

Last edited: