• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Overweight with Crohn's Support Group

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have been diagnosed with crohn's. I did loose a lot of weigh prior to been diagnosed. but now I seem to have put back on all the weight I lost and a bit more if I am honest and I am struggling to lose any now.
has anyone experienced this? I am looking forward to hearing other stories and how people dealt with it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is exactly the opposite and I am struggling to put weight back on which I desperately want to do as upcoming surgery means I am likely to drop in weight again.
I am trying to put weight on by adding calories wherever possible by things like puuting milk and sugar in tea and coffe, having more and bigger deserts, increasing portion sizes and changing my workout regime to heavier wrights with less reps. All small changes in themselves but the overall effect does add up.
Would suggest you do similar but in reverse. Many small changes to eating and exercise habits will not make a sudden impact but is more likely to make a lasting chamge.
I would also speak yo your doc to see if any meds you are taking may be a contributing factor.

Hello Y'all...my story's a little different. I have been obese most of my life. Most of my adult life I had abdominal pain. Due to the obesity, it was assumed to be gallstones (which I did have) and my gallbladder was removed. The abdominal pain persisted. In 2002 I had the gastric bypass surgery. I lost 150#. And THEN started to have chronic diarrhea. I developed a perianal abscess. In the ER, where I was I&D'd (incised and drained) they asked if I had crohn's because I had granulomatous tissue. I got a referral to a GI, who did a colonoscopy...and VOILA! I had inflammation of my ENTIRE colon with the worst being in the hepatic flexure (the bend under the liver) which was where the majority of my abdominal pain has been. I am STILL considered obese by BMI standards of 26-27. I have done EVERYTHING to lose my extra weight, to no avail. I thought I was the only fat person with crohn's! WHEW! What a relief. Thank-you for being here!

Hello :).

I'm not yet diagnosed but have been having symptoms for nearly 2 years,, before it started I had lost weight through diet and lots of exercise and I think the diet caused my problem to become apparent. First time in hospital I lost a lot of weight but then steroids and triple insulin doses (diabetic for 18 years) meant I put a lot of weight on. I'm now at my heaviest weight ever and it gets me down a lot.

I was very ignorant of crohns and thought only skinny people had it but now I know better. My weight isn't helped by the fact my joints are intensely painful and I find it hard to move around so exercise is a thing of the past :(.

I would love to lose weight but don't know how when the only safe foods are carbs so I'm having to take more insulin than I used to.

Thanks for starting this group, look forward to getting to know you all :).

Hi, I started to put on weight while I was on TPN for 6 months, I've put on about 30lbs & it's been a huge struggle to take the extra pounds off, any tips would be great.....thx

I'm fairly newly diagnosed and have been overweight for about 5 years. I've realized that every major attempt I had made in the past to "get healthy"
Probably threw me into a simmering flare. I'd feel worse; not better and eventually give up or just Peter out. I'm going to try to keep things in moderation better: veggies/fruit and exercise.

Just found this group. There are so many people struggling to gain or maintain wt with Crohn's that I didn't expect a group for those of us who are over weight. I am struggling to figure out what to eat to lose. Following a strict low residue diet now due to fistula and adhesions. Had SBO a few weeks ago that cleared without surg and had I&D with seton placed last week for peri anal abscess. Can not figure out how to eat to keep things moving and drop the weight. So frustrating!

nogutsnoglory

Hope you don't mind I edited a typo in the title.

I have always been skinny but lately added a ton of visceral fat. I am used to eating high fat to gain weight since I was so skinny but now I need to watch it. Also, lyrica is making me fat.

I want to buy an elliptical to get in shape.

I gained a lot of weight from a combination of inactivity, joint pain that renders my former exercise habits too painful to continue, and three years of constant prednisone. Dieting is hard because of course the conventional wisdom is to eat more whole grains, fruits and veggies, which my tummy hates. And even though I am 40 lbs overweight, I am still considered malnourished. *sigh*

I hear that! Malnutrition and overweight is my issue to. And...joint pain and fistula and abscess make exercise a real challenge. Very hard to find a routine.

Thanks everyone for your replies
it is great to hear that I am not the only one with this struggle. I am going back to see my dietician on Saturday and so I am hoping that she can give me some suggestions.
I did do the low fodmap diet when I was first diagnosed and it worked great but now I am think it needs to be shook up a bit.
here's hoping anyway!!!

Six months of anemia exhausted me so badly I put back on the 10 pounds I had managed to lose last summer and then added another 10. People look at me funny when I say I have Crohn's and I know they are thinking I am too fat to have it.

Don't you find it annoying though that people know we have this serious disease and yet the focus is always on appearance? Quite honestly, there are plenty of worse things that it brings besides weight gain/loss and yet there are always a few people who dwell on whether or not we should look a certain way. My brother in law will say: "Well it's okay for you to be fat; you've got a reason" and I think, well, what if I just gained because I ate too much or was depressed? Does that make me less worthy of empathy or love? *growls*

I used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight. When I graduated college I was 115 pounds and 5'8" tall. I didn't look healthy. Before my diagnosis I weighed 20 pounds more than I did when I was 9 months pregnant.

I started juicing and lost a little weight but then it stopped. I was eating between 1200 - 1400 calories a day and no weight loss. My GI informed me that is not a Crohn's issue and I must have thyroid problems. She told me that accounted for my joint pain and constipation problems as well. (Idiot)

I switched to the SCD diet and am starting to lose weight. She advised against it because nothing is proven, but then said it wouldn't hurt anything. So I figured it would be healthier than her no fruit or veggie diet. I have been actually losing and am figuring out what I can't eat. I also noticed that when I eat foods that don't agree with me, my weight goes up. When I eat agreeable foods my weight goes down. It makes me think inflammation has something to do with the weight.

My Crohn's is all in my colon so I don't have any malnitrition issues.

So I went to back to see my dietician and she suggested really sticking with the low fodmap diet and adding fibregel twice a day to help with the constipation. she also said that I need to loose 2stone to start with and she wants to see at least 1.5stone gone by Christmas. this is so not easy I am finding it hard to just get started never mind stick with it.

So glad I found this thread. It is funny how people always focus on the physical aspect of the disease, when I was very under weight, people always commented, now over weight, still commenting. If they only knew how it feels to have an obstruction. So much more to the disease then physical aspects.
I am struggling to get some weight off. I know a few months ago I started losing when I was going for walks and watching my portions, I do eat a lot of carbs because fruits and veggies are rough on my tummy, but when I watch the portions I find I start to lose. I also started juicing and that helps with energy.

I've seen a lot of posts about juicing. I've tried but can't seem to stay with it. Trying to stay on a low residue diet now due to partial obstruction. May try again cuz I seem to only be eating carbs now. Not sure what to juice though.

It is definitely hard to stick with. I usually juice green veggies, and small amount of fruit to make it taste good.

My dirty secret is that I usually put some advocare spark in my juice. Nothing like a little buzz to motivate me to drink the green stuff!

Not diagnosed yet, but the fact that I haven't lost weight despite my violent and painful episodes of D, feeling 'blocked' afterwards, eating little, etc, is a big reason none of my doctors ever wanted to touch the 'You might have something more serious' button... until now when I'm years into the symptoms and only getting worse.

I'm not overweight but I'm getting uncomfortably close and for me, hormone issues are part of the culprit along with the fact that I spent 8-10 months being mostly off my feet owing to midfoot fractures that wouldn't heal.

At this point, I have two major problems to look at but I'm not sure which one to look at first.

Hugs to everyone who's struggled with weight and judgement and the sometimes hand-in-hand issue of 'invisible' disability because they don't look 'sick enough'.

My favorite juices are carrot/apple (equal amounts) and 2 apples, 1 cucumber and 1 thumb ginger. Ginger is supposed to be good for the gut.

Ice, I know what you mean about being dismissed. My GI says I'm in remission and my symptoms must be something else. She suspects my thyroid because of my weight. My weight is a problem because of medicine I took that made me gain weight, then another that made me lose. I went up and down so much from meds and I finally stuck at the high weight. It sucks that I'm not taken as seriously with my Crohn's issues just because I'm not wasting away. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the massive weight loss that some people do but being heavy doesn't make me any less sick.

Ok. Vent over. Time to eat my muffin (or as I like to call them Magical Poop Muffin - clears up my constipation problems amazingly) and head off to work.

It's the SCD muffin from Breaking the Vicious Cycle. A muffin and some juice, sit around for a little bit and within a half hour I'm in the bathroom. Only works at breakfast though. Not sure what it is. Maybe the almond flour.

I'm glad to have found this thread (and on my first visit to the forum too!)

I don't consider myself to be seriously overweight, but I am 180 pounds at 5'9 with a gut. I do find it to be a struggle to keep the pounds off without being able to eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains in great amounts. I'm particularly annoyed at the cereal aisle; the choice is typically between Fibre-Os and a bowl of sugar.

Anyway, I've had some experiences with people telling me I'm too big to have Crohn's or that I can't be feeling that bad because I'm not thin.

I will say my attitude towards my body totally changed when I was diagnosed & started reading threads here about people struggling to keep weight on. While I was so sick, I was relieved I didn't have that to worry about on top of or.

I know exactly how you feel CongoJack. I am seriously overweight. Have always had a weight problem and have put on 40 lbs in the last year and a half while taking Entocort and Remicade. I actually gain about 5 lbs with every infusion and fight to get if off by the next one. I have had severe malnutrition and anemia. And yes... People look at me like I'm crazy if I tell them I have severe fistulizing Crohn's. And now that I'm on a strict low residue diet due to adhesions and I have no idea how to get the weight off. I had been going to the gym but abscesses, fistulas, and seton drains have put a stop to that. I will say though my GI Doc has told me many times Crohn's is not a disease that only attacks thin people. You almost have to gave this disease to understand.

I've been overweight for almost my entire life, and I thought that perhaps the silver lining of the Crohn's might be that I'd finally stop having that problem. No such luck. At least as an adult, I think depression is a major factor in my obesity: I lose the motivation to be active (so please, PLEASE don't tell me that if I exercise I'll feel happy, because I've tried that, and depression can strike when I'm active, too), and I start to overeat, especially of foods that are likely to contribute to weight gain. And there are plenty of cookies out there that even now I have no trouble eating.

It's the beginning of a new month and I think that is a great time to start on a change in ourselves. I'm not talking about major weight loss or even any weight loss. Anyone who is interested, lets set an individual goal for the next month.

Maybe you want to lose some weight this month, or dress to flatter your fuller figure, or start a new exercise. Whatever it is, it should be something that will help us to feel better about ourselves. We can share our goals and use the forum to share our successes and struggles as the month passes. And we'll have others here to support us along the way.

Just an idea. I'd like to start taking better care of my appearance. If I'm always wearing big t-shirts and not doing my hair in the morning, I don't feel very good about myself or my size. I'm going to try to take time to make myself look nicer for work. Anyone else have a goal?

I'm in. I've gained 40 lbs since starting Entocort and the Remi. On a low residue diet now and not sure how to lose it but I'm determined. Waiting to hear from GI office with a name for dietician consult.

What a great idea! I'm visiting friends in a few weeks and always feel better about myself if I've made something of an effort before seeing people I haven't in a while.
I'm using Bosley stuff on my hair where it got very thin when I was sick. I used the elliptical today which I love but am feeling kind of chills/achy tonight so maybe that was too much.
I've done really well with the beach body PiYo workouts. Great workouts, easily modified and no jumping.

I'd like to try and start some exercise again, plan to begin with 10 minute Pilates stretching, break myself back in gently. I also hope to go back to an art club to get me out of the house cos I never do except to the shop, fingers crossed I make it.

Well I am starting out horribly, and I'm the one who suggested setting a goal. Lol. I can't remember the last time my daughter slept through the night and she is almost 10. She was on some anxiety meds and hasn't slept well since stopping them. I've been napping instead of taking a few extra minutes to dry my hair and pick out decent clothes ahead of time.

Sunday night I'm setting out clothes for Monday and I'm going to work with dry hair. Or dryish hair. Baby steps. :)

I've seen a lot of posts about juicing. I've tried but can't seem to stay with it. Trying to stay on a low residue diet now due to partial obstruction. May try again cuz I seem to only be eating carbs now. Not sure what to juice though.
Have you looked into buying a "NutriBullet" blender.I have one and I really like it. I gave up coffee and candy back in May and I started making a breakfast smoothie each morning. I saw a Nutritionist back in May and she gave me some smoothie recipe suggestions. I don't have any colon issues with the smoothie ingredients that I use. I use 1/2 or 1 ripe banana, one large red apple without the core/skin, 1/2 cup real carrot juice, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 cup 2% milk ( or some kind of soy milk ), 1 teaspoon real Vanilla Extract and 2 tablespoons of honey. It makes about 24 ounces. It does not bother my colon at all and I am getting some fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein. Before I started with my breakfast smoothies I would drink coffee in the morning and then not eat all day until dinner time.

I have had problems with obesity for the past 35 years. I had some major changes in my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms this May 2014. I went from having diarrhea all of the time to being very constipated. In two months I had lost 20 pounds. Then within the next few months I lost ten more pounds. I went from 200 to 170. I am now maintaining at 170 ( but my Endocrinologist would like me to lose 20 more pounds ). The weird thing is this.....I don't feel any better after losing the weight. I am wearing the same clothes, but they are baggy now. I still have the hip, neck and shoulder arthritis pain. I still have fatigue and I don't sleep well. I just started to take Levothyroxine for my thyroid recently too. I keep telling all of my doctors that I was not trying to lose that weight and it must have happened because of the changes in my symptoms or maybe it was psychological. They don't care how I lost the weight, they are just happy that I lost it. Well, if a person is not trying to lose weight and they lose 20 pounds in 7 weeks then something must be wrong !

Sometimes I feel like we have to be our own doctor.

Thanks for listening.

So true Ann sometimes the docs are just interested in the number. Recently I saw a dietician and she helped a lot. I am drinking a plant protein shake twice a day. The brand is Vega. It's full of vitamins and each serving has 50% of recommended iron. I have added fruits that I can tolerate. I am also blending my own yogurt with Fage greek yogurt and fruit or honey and cinnimon. She also suggested I try grass fed beef which I did a couple of times with no problem. Haven't lost anything yet but I feel better! I think the weight loss will come as I eat less carbs and more protein.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi there! Started out my crohn's slightly overweight. Lost a good amount being sick. And yo-yoed on my weight between medication shifts.

I'm now in remission and back at close to the largest weight I have ever been. I'm actively trying to lose weight and get to a healthy size to better manage my condition and make sure I stay in remission.

I really do enjoy clean eating, though I'm guilty of not always sticking to it. And since this summer I have started becoming more physically active and feeling comfortable with the idea of working out. I've started a bootcamp recently and am doing a diet bet to help motivate better eating and safe weight loss.

It's not easy and I've had to learn to push through fatigue at times but it's better to keep trying than to give up on myself and risk the possibility of making myself sick again.

I just started taking thyroid medication recently. I know that if a persons thyroid is messed up that it can affect their ability to lose weight. A person can get fatigued too if their thyroid is not working properly. Thanks for listening.

Ok. It is me again. I have a few minutes to write before "Jeopardy" begins on TV......Ha Ha : - 0.

Saw my Endocrinologist again today for a follow up appointment. I really like her. My blood test looks good, my thyroid ultrasound looks good, and my DEXA scan looks good ( she monitors my osteoporosis as well. ). Wow, I never get GOOD news from a doctor. And even better news......I don't have to go back for a follow up for 6 more months.....
hoorah. She still wants me to lose twenty more pounds, I am still maintaining my weight at around 170 pounds and a year ago I think I was arouND 200 pds.
I told her that I don't FEEL any better after the weight loss. I don't think she cares how I am feeling exactly, she just wants my weight down so I don't get diabetes. I don't eat real healthy because my Ulcerative Colitis does not like just about anything I eat. I don't have much of an appetite most of the time. I do not exercise at all. I can walk from my apartment to the big trash bin in the parking lot!

I think that sounds like good news, Ann!
I've been testing the waters of the AIP diet this week and doing okay with the fruits & veggies (so far). It's so hard to lose weight when you can't eat healthy foods. So hard.

I started a diet with mild exercise. Low carb for me is using one slice of white bread for that toast or peanut butter craving. Also 30 squats when brushing, morning and night. I like to run especially in the cold but had a slight cold/drip so its been three days off. Tomorrow I will try again. Just keep trying giving up is going for ice cream or chocolate instead of a pre cut water Mellon cube. Trust me one is sufficient for me you feel less guilty and chewed on it satisfying the sweet and or cold craving throughout the day. 187 5' 5"

I too was in the same positive like many above have mentioned. When my Crohns hit me hard a couple years ago I lost a ton of weight. As soon as I started getting healthy again, I put all that weight back on and than some! I strongly suggest exercise if you can, in any way shape or form. Start by going for a walk for a few minutes a few days a week. Slowly increase depending on what you can do! Little by little I was able to get back to my good weight and feel great. Now I try to go for a run atleast 4 days a week. What you eat and when you eat play a part as well. Cut carbs if you can, and try not to eat too late. Not too long ago I started having a meal replacement shake with Shakeology and it's been great so far.

In short...exercise! As much or as little as you can, anything helps :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I eat celery sticks and PB2 which is a powdered peanut butter 80% less fat and 45 calories. I buy it on Amazon and i think Whole Foods has it too.

I also eat greek yogurt with berries

Blend frozen pineapple with almond milk for a sorbet

Blend frozen berries with greek yogurt and sweetener of choice for frozen yogurt.

I'm just jealous of someone who can eat celery sticks and pineapple lol! I'm trying my best to find some kind of balance between Crohn's friendly food and healthy food.

Max: I cannot eat any raw fruits or vegetables. I went to Subway one day and actually thought I would be "ok" with adding raw vegetables to my sandwich. 20 minutes later, while still in the restaurant, I had to use the restroom there because I ate raw vegetables. I can't even eat cooked vegetables. The only fruit I can eat are bananas. I think the only cooked vegetable I may be able to tolerate are cooked carrots ? I started making smoothies 6 months ago and I include an apple in there and I can eat an apple that is pulverized into a smoothie, but I cannot eat a raw apple on it's own. I add banana, apple, carrot juice, greek yogurt, milk, honey, vanilla and flax seed in my smoothies. I use plain greek yogurt for protein. I rarely ever eat meat. Disaster struck, when on vacation over Christmas-time when I thought I could eat bruschetta at an Italian restaurant ( it's basically bread and raw tomatoes.) Where was my brain ! I had an "accident" the next morning while walking to the restroom in my hotel room. I had to shower. I had to wash my pajamas by hand in my hotel room and then send them out to be laundered. I stayed in my hotel room all day long JUST IN CASE I had another accident ( I didn't). I missed out on going to see the movie "Annie" with my sister, niece, and 2 great nieces. I want so bad to eat food with FLAVOR, but that is usually not possible. So, here I am stuck eating smoothies, cereal and milk, and macaroni and cheese.

PS: I lost a lot of weight in 2006/2007. Gained it back eventually. Then had major changes in my Ulcerative Colitis in May/June 2014, etc, and altogether lost 30 pounds. I had a big change in my appetite and did not want to eat. All the time I have had the UC I have had diarrhea. In May of last year I started to have severe constipation. Well, now my constipation is gone and I am back to having diarrhea. I really have my appetite back and I have already gained at least 5 pounds back. And my Endocrinologist wants me to lose 20 more pounds !

I have started really watching my portions of carbs and exercising and am finally starting to lose weight. So I am still eating crohns friendly foods, but smaller portions.

Ann...I've been there and it sucks! For me now though it's the opposite reaction but I still can't eat the same foods. Any raw veggie or fruit and most meat gives me severe abdominal pain and constipation. Same stuff that use to send me running. I think it's related to adhesions and obstruction risk. I saw a dietician recently and she talked to me about smoothies. I do eat a lot of greek yogurt and she had me start drinking Vega shakes, which is plant based protein but not soy. I make them with almond milk. Full of iron, which I'm always lacking in diet and can't take supplements. She also suggested grass fed organic beef. I have tried it a few times and done ok. The one thing I can eat with no trouble is simple carbs...the last thing I need. So I'm back on it. Gained 9 lbs over the holidays eating crap and it is not what in needed.

Liam123 I eat mainly chicken and grilled fish for protein and greek yogurt. Dietician told me to put frozen blended fruit and small amount honey in plain low fat. I don't do well with frozen fruits so I usually get Fage greek with fruit. Although honey and cinnamon in plain is pretty good. I can eat most frozen veggies if cooked til mushy. The only fruits that I can eat are bananas and really ripe cantaloupe. Oh and applesauce I guess. What I really like are things like pasta, mashed potatoes, and Mac n cheese. But not so good when you want to lose weight. The biggest weight lose issue for me I guess is snack foods. I don't have the problems some have with sweets and I can eat most chips and pretzels. So ate lots of that over the holidays. Anyway, if I stick to eating what the dietician suggested, yogurt twice a day, grilled or backed protein (mainly chicken, fish, and sometimes grass fed organic beef, cooked to death veggies, Vega protein powder in almond milk 1-2 times a day, and small amounts of simple carbs I can keep the Crohn's in check and slowly lose. I try and exercise but have trouble with joint pain so sometimes that's difficult.

Maxwelljax, I am eating similar aswell. With my meat I try and have 3/4'cup of steamed rice and I juice my veggies. Have you tried juicing?

I mentioned in the diet section the desire for pretty Crohn's friendly food. Is anyone else on IG? Should we start a hashtag of our very own?

Hi Nancy. Not sure what IG is but I can tell you some of the food I seem to tolerate, although from what I have seen here it can vary person to person. I eat mainly grilled chicken. Dietician suggested grass fed organic beef as I do not tolerate beef at all, causes quite a bit of pain. Have tried grass fed organic a couple of times and did ok. Also have had luck with chicken and beef in the crock pot. I can eat veggies cooked to death, nothing raw. Only fruits I eat are banana, cantolope, and applesauce. Also greek yogurt is probably my main protein source along with eggs. I can eat pasta, white bread, and junk all day long but trying to avoid. Interested in what IG is.

I'm sorry! IG is Instagram :)
I've been reading so much on diet and Paleo and autoimmunity but am so discouraged when I see all the salad and stuff...and crossfitters ;)
I know IBD is so individual but there are a few common threads, right?

Lol...I thought there was some IG diet I hadn't heard of. I have read about paleo too and I'm afraid of it. Raw fruit and veggies use to give me terrible diarrhea but now more like severe pain and I can't go at all. Apparently that's because of adhesions from previous surg. Had a partial obstruction over the summer and had been trying to eat more veggies, salad, etc. Thought the fiber was good idea, not so much! I think what seems to be common to all of us is the easier to digest the better.

It seems like there are a lot of similarities here. I can eat bananas, greek yogurt, rice, lean meat, my smoothies, no raw veggies, actually NO veggies, applesauce, breads, pastas. Ok, I can eat all the brownies I want, but if I eat raw veggies or greasy foods I might as well just lock myself in the bathroom ! I have UC/diarrhea. Oh, and Frosted Flakes treat me just fine. : - )

Yep, you're right.
I've had such a sucky time committing to losing weight or even modifying my diet without being able to revert to salads and raw produce. That seems to be a common theme around here.
I'd love to see or be a part of a Crohn's/IBD specific blog/forum/social media group!

Brownies, cookies, cake (no frosting though) could eat them day. I have read that some IBD patients don't tolerate sweets. Must be the really skinny ones huh? No me lol!

The only thing that's given me D more than once is apples. Salad is hit or miss. Greasy food? No problem. Sweets? You betcha! Even beer & wine are fine.
I'm fine avoiding high fiber meals. I'm fine not doing high-impact exercise. But I need to get on track, my own track!

I was on Prevacid & Zantac forever before my first flare. I had terrible chest/rib/back pain. I don't think it was ever acid reflux. I think it was Crohn's all along. I haven't had it for a year!

I haven't had a drink in years either. Mainly because of meds. Don't remember not tolerating it. Headed to bed ladies... 12:30 in in Fla and morning comes way to early.

I started in my worst flare to date in late December and am now finally feeling somewhat better. Still unable to really eat much (I seriously have no appetite and maybe eat a cup or so of food daily - I go drink ensure though). I've lost 14 pounds since January 9th. Not that I mind the weight loss (I'm 25 pounds overweight) but still...I'd rather lose it in a more healthy way :(

I started in my worst flare to date in late December and am now finally feeling somewhat better. Still unable to really eat much (I seriously have no appetite and maybe eat a cup or so of food daily - I go drink ensure though). I've lost 14 pounds since January 9th. Not that I mind the weight loss (I'm 25 pounds overweight) but still...I'd rather lose it in a more healthy way :(
I had a MAJOR change in my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms last May. I went from having diarrhea for years to severe constipation. I had never had such severe constipation. I lost my appetite and hardly ate anything.
I lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks. Then eventually 10 pounds more. I am obese, so all my doctors thought it was great that I lost the weight. I kept trying to explain to my doctors that I was NOT trying to lose weight. My Endocrinologist even said she would like to see me lose 20 pounds ! Anyhow, my symptoms are now back to diarrhea all of the time ( probably from antibiotics in November ). I now have a really big appetite ! Yikes ! I know I have already gained 5 pounds. I don't see a doctor again until June and I don't own a scale at home. PS: After I lost that 30 pounds I did not feel any better at all, I just felt the same. No major changes that I noticed, just my pants being baggier. Have a great week. :dance:

It is a bit annoying to have people say "wow...I wish I could lose weight like that!". Or, worse, they think I'm purposely starving myself to lose weight. :(

Hi everyone, I'm happy to see I'm not the only overweight one. I was curvy when I was diagnosed, and after the lovely prednisone I gained 40lbs in a month and a half. I've gained another 20 over the last 2 years. I've tried exercising but it seems to trigger worse bowel movements. And then of course so does healthy food like raw veggies and salad.

I got transferred for work and am now only a 10 minute walk away. However its been freezing here for the past month, mornings are between -30 and -40 degrees, so I haven't been able to walk. My husband and I have also started trying to conceive, it depresses me thinking that I will be a fat pregnant woman and not one of those cute ones.

I look forward to seeing what works for everyone.

Hi everyone, I'm happy to see I'm not the only overweight one. I was curvy when I was diagnosed, and after the lovely prednisone I gained 40lbs in a month and a half. I've gained another 20 over the last 2 years. I've tried exercising but it seems to trigger worse bowel movements. And then of course so does healthy food like raw veggies and salad.

I got transferred for work and am now only a 10 minute walk away. However its been freezing here for the past month, mornings are between -30 and -40 degrees, so I haven't been able to walk. My husband and I have also started trying to conceive, it depresses me thinking that I will be a fat pregnant woman and not one of those cute ones.

I look forward to seeing what works for everyone.
Shakeology! :)

SamanthaLynn, you're not alone. I had just got back on track losing weight, got diagnosed, started on Prednisone and wham, there's 20 lbs. It's too cold here to walk outside as well,( the wind chill and have we got wind) is way into the minuses. I find tha juicing really helps keep me somewhat in check. It's a great way to get your veggies without killing your gut. Amazon has a bunch of books anfdthere's stuff here on the forums and lots of recipes on line. Best of luck, M

I find juicing really helps and portion control. Even though I do eat a high carb diet, I try and measure portions as much as I can.

SamanthaLynn, Visalus shakes are so yummy but not very nutritional. I used them as an add-in for smoothies. Shakeology is sold by Beachbody. They claim islets very nutritious. When DJBHeat posted on another thread about the adaptogens in ShakeO, I checked it out. I've ordered a months supply (with a dvd set as a challenge set bc their bundling makes the shakeO cheap if you buy a workout). I'll report back when it gets here!

I haven't tried the body by vi shakes so I really can't comment on it. Shakeology indeed is very nutritious, I drink it as a meal replacement. If you look around on the internet you can find lots of peoples testimonies about it. Works for my body so thats all matters for me. I'd suggest researching it. Still waiting for Nancye50's thoughts on it :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I haven't tried either of those but IdealShape chocolate shakes are not bad either.

I keep a jar of it at home for when I want to supplement a meal and in case I don't feel well digestively and want to avoid solid foods for a long period of time.

I haven't tried the body by vi shakes so I really can't comment on it. Shakeology indeed is very nutritious, I drink it as a meal replacement. If you look around on the internet you can find lots of peoples testimonies about it. Works for my body so thats all matters for me. I'd suggest researching it. Still waiting for Nancye50's thoughts on it :)

I have had diarrhea for many years. Last year ( May 2014) I got severe constipation. I lost my appetite and lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks. Then 10 more pounds after that. My doctors were happy. I had to take antibiotics in November 2014. Diarrhea is back. Now I have my appetite back and can't stop eating ! I know I have gained weight because I was at the Emergency Room in the middle of February 2014. I have gained 7 pounds. I am bloated. I have diarrhea and have not been eating properly. My daily smoothies are probably the only healthy thing I eat each day. I am sabotaging my Ulcerative Colitis by eating junk food and then I pay the price for it afterward. My smoothies are great. If I could just drink two smoothies a day and then take vitamins I think my tummy would be happy ? Liquid food is so much better for my colon. I don't want to gain any more weight ! I have had issues with obesity for 30 years and losing those 30 pounds last year was great. I see my Endocrinologist in June 2015. In December 2014 she said she would like to see me lose 20 MORE pounds! Believe it or not, when I lost 30 pounds last year I did not feel better or healthier ... I just felt the same as I did before I lost the weight.

Signed, Bloated Today And Hating It

Thank you for listening.

So glad I found this thread! I've always been overweight or obese- I have about 80lbs to lose but this is not my heaviest weight. It took 7 years to get a diagnosis and I know that was because of my weight. I've started to count my calories while find in trigger foods so I hope this helps. I'm in a flare so I'm too tired and too much pain to workout. I've only met my new GI doc once but he seems determined to not only help me get into remission but to help me with my overall health.

It's nice to know I'm not alone- I hate the comments I get about my weight. Even my mom makes comments and doesn't take my symptoms seriously because my cousin has Crohn's and she struggles to gain weight. To them my weight causes me to be so sick. Ugh!

Adr810, I hear ya, it can be very frustrating. Once you start feeling better or the flare calms a bit, try swimming. I find swimming helps me during flares with crohns symptoms and staying somewhat active.

Good Luck!

On one hand I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with both Crohn's and being overweight... but since I know it's so hard to deal with, im sorry so many others have to deal with it.

One of the most frustrating parts of it for me is that, for the most part if someone even knows what Crohn's is..they automatically assume it's a "skinny" disease. Even my bf has asked me if I'm sure I have Crohn's or not cos I'm a chunky monkey. :(

And personally I just don't get it. The only time I've ever lost weight with Crohn's was right before I was originally diagnosed - was put on prednisone temporarily and that fixed the weight loss in a hurry. And then again 10 years later when I was flaring so badly that I was close to dying. I can be flaring, with diarrhea and no appetite and not really lose anything more than 5 lbs which I'll gain right back as soon as the flares over and I'm eating relatively normally again.

So glad I found this thread! I've always been overweight or obese- I have about 80lbs to lose but this is not my heaviest weight. It took 7 years to get a diagnosis and I know that was because of my weight. I've started to count my calories while find in trigger foods so I hope this helps. I'm in a flare so I'm too tired and too much pain to workout. I've only met my new GI doc once but he seems determined to not only help me get into remission but to help me with my overall health.

It's nice to know I'm not alone- I hate the comments I get about my weight. Even my mom makes comments and doesn't take my symptoms seriously because my cousin has Crohn's and she struggles to gain weight. To them my weight causes me to be so sick. Ugh!
I have been sick since 1997 and was not properly diagnosed until 2006.

Today I ate a sandwich for lunch ( I was not at home ). Not too long after that I had to run to the bathroom to have diarrhea. And my sister wonders why I can't do all of the things she invites me to do ! I have to be near a bathroom !

Glad you found us here. We look forward to chatting with you. :applause:

When I was a kid I was a normal weight, actually thin in grade school. A normal size in middle school and high school. I first gained weight when I was 19 years old, 20 or 30 pounds as far as I can remember. This is when my roller coaster ride started with weight gain and weight loss. I was 20 years old and had just completed Weight Watchers when I was a healthy and wonderful 129 pounds ! Wow. Two years later I was a hefty 200 pounds ! I have been up and down with my weight the past 30 years. My highest was 232 pounds.

Last year I lost 30 pounds due to severe changes in my Ulcerative Colitis. I was not trying to lose weight at all. I guess I just lost my appetite due to the symptom changes ? Anyhow, my doctors were all happy about the weight loss because I started out at about 200 pounds and ended up at 170 pounds. My sister asked me if I felt better after the weight loss, and I said NO. I still felt the same physically but my clothes were just fit bigger on me. I still feel tired every day. I still have arthritis pain. You would think I would feel better losing the weight, but I did not.

My symptoms changed again later in the year of 2014. ( I was prescribed antibiotics for something ). I started to have an appetite again and now I cannot stop eating ! I am now 188 pounds ! I have gained 18 pounds ! My endocrinologist is not going to be happy in June when I have my bi-yearly visit with her......she wanted me to lose 20 MORE pounds ( she does not want me to get diabetes ). My BMI is 33 which is crazy. I eat a lot of sugar, but my glucose is always under 100 when I have a blood test. I went online and looked at a BMI scale. I would have to get down to 130 pounds to have an acceptable BMI for my height ! I have not weighed 130 pounds since I was 20 years old. I WAS 154 in 2010 and that felt like a good weight for me. 154 pounds for my height is still too high of a BMI according to what I read on the Internet.

Have a good week. Everyone stay healthy !

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Depressed & Stress eating! I am overweight need to know how to find motivation!
Hello funjunky,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are not feeling well enough to do things. Depression is not an easy thing to deal with for lots of people :( May I ask what you are doing or taking to help cope with the depression?

I'm going to assume by your username that you do enjoy to be active and have a good time when you are well, am I right? What sorts of activities do you love to do when you are able?

I know when I was dealing with severe anxiety and depression I found the first step for me was to find something small to accomplish to occupy my time. Something as simple as a small walk to the store gave me fresh air and sunlight I needed to feel even a teensy bit better. If getting out the door is too hard, what if you tried some yoga stretches at home? YouTube has a ton of fitness channels you can watch for free. Even 5 minutes of exercise can help kickstart an improved state of being. Just throwing out some initial ideas.

I have been eating terrible foods. Coffee, Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks, Snyder's Pretzel Nuggets, chocolate pudding, a chicken sandwich from Wendy's. During the past few days I have eaten a lot of Peeps and Russell Stover Maple Cream Easter Eggs, croissants, sugary cereal and milk. Pringles potato crisps. I like to drive to Circle K and buy Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream. It seems to be really stupid for me to make a healthy smoothie almost every day when I am otherwise eating a bunch of crap and then suffering the consequences ( which for me is diarrhea ). I love sugar.

So right now I am bloated ( of course ).
I am going to drink some more Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks and then hope tomorrow the CVS Pharmacy will still have leftover Peeps for me to eat. I CAN'T STOP EATING.

I will be starting an antibiotic for my c-diff on Wednesday and I cannot drink my Questran while taking the antibiotic. I have to take the antibiotic for two weeks. Withouth my Questran I have terrible diarrhea and I feel absolutely SICK. So, I guess I had better eat whatever I want now because on Wednesday I start being sick every day for two weeks. I will probably lose all the weight I have gained this year during those two weeks ( 15 pounds ). I am not afraid of the c-diff..............I am afraid of going off of the Questran for two weeks ! I have been taking the Questran for several years.

Yikes.

Is dark chocolate almond milk a slightly healthier alternative to the yoo-hoos and stuff? I'm of the belief that yoohoo contains milk (please don't correct me if I'm wrong) and thus can't drink it, but I quite enjoy the dark chocolate almond milk. High in protein, low in fat, and it seems soothing for my insides.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Is dark chocolate almond milk a slightly healthier alternative to the yoo-hoos and stuff? I'm of the belief that yoohoo contains milk (please don't correct me if I'm wrong) and thus can't drink it, but I quite enjoy the dark chocolate almond milk. High in protein, low in fat, and it seems soothing for my insides.
Speaking very generally, food substitutions are a good way to start if you are having trouble weaning off the bad stuff Elektrikhd. I'm not sure which brand of dark chocolate almond milk you are referring to or if you mean to make it yourself rather than pre-packaged but look at the ingredients and compare the two. I would think the dark almond milk has to be better than the yoo-hoo stuff. Definitely the lower in sugar the better. Sugar is notorious for provoking and prolonging inflammation and helping pack on the pounds.

Pay attention to ingredients. Typically, the fewer ingredients overall and the more ingredients that you can read and understand what they are, the better. Trader Joes is a great grocery store for that reason. Majority of their items fall into this category of checking out ingredients.

Also start small. If you have been doing this for a while, it's better to change one or a few things at a time than to revamp your entire diet all at once. This way you lessen the risk of crashing and have a better shot at being successful at creating lasting new habits.

A food journal might be very helpful for you too. This way you can record what you eat and how it makes you feel over time. When you see the patterns of what foods make you feel bad, you may be more likely to get rid of them altogether for healthier choices.

I think a food journal is a great idea!

PS: I love my Yoo-Hoo, but it is just high fructose corn syrup. I am addicted to sugar, even though I know it is bad for me. Sugar is also a stimulant, so it can make a person hyperactive ( I already suffer from Anxiety). I want to start shopping at Sprouts again. Does anyone shop there. My smoothies are the only healthy thing I eat every day. I am starting Culturelle probiotics today. Even though I eat sugary food every day, my glucose on blood tests is always in the acceptible range. I would like to try that Kefir. None of my doctors have ever suggested a multi-vitamin. I only take B12 and D3. Have a good weekend.

hey Ann. I'm in the same boat as you..once I get on a sugar crave its hell trying to stop myself. My self control sucks and then I wonder why I feel like crap the next day. And I do notice a huge spike in joint pain when I've gone overboard on sugar...ESPECIALLY when I've had pop. My joints will swell up and feel soooo creaky. It's so frustrating. :(

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Sugar is the devil. LOL I admittedly eat my fair share of sugar but the cravings come and go in waves. I recently got more incentive to get off of the sugar when I found out a little over a week ago that I have osteoarthritis in my knees. Just one more health issue to add to the list. I was already starting to make small changes (exercise at least 3x day and focus on cooking at home rather than eating out for more cleaner options). Sugar/desserts have always been a weakness of mine. Once you stop sugar or cut back significantly and add some form of calorie burning exercise, the pounds will likely start to come off a lot more easily.

Now I'm even more at the point where I want to start taking things more seriously because I don't think I can handle any more health issues. Thankfully I am in remission for crohn's but when I eat poorly my body makes sure to let me know that I'm screwing up.

I look for sweet substitutions like Oranges, pineapples, berries, cherries. I know I've said this on here before but I make frozen yogurt out of greek yogurt and frozen berries blended with honey or agave and it does the trick. I also use almond milk and frozen pineapple blended for an awesome treat. I make cookies out of chickpeas and chocolate chips (MUCH more delicious than it sounds but definitely don't eat too many as it contains lots of peanut butter and fiber).

Be careful with smoothies though. Fruits hide a lot of sugar in them and can be just as bad for you if you overdo it.

Learning flavorful substitutions has become my new goal.

hi Chicago:

I have arthritis in my neck, with VERY limited mobility. My Rheumatologist wants to send me to a Pain Management Specialist to get Botox shots in my neck. Haven't done that yet, but my pain level recently has been very high.

I also have osteoarthritis in both of my shoulders. I am supposed to go to Physical Therapy for that. I have c-diff right now, so I cannot go anywhere because I am infectious.

And I have arthritis in my hips ! I have been sleeping in a recliner for 8 years because I cannot lie down on my left of right side of my body because of the hip and shoulder arthritis.

Oh, and my DEXA scan does not look good in my lumbar spine region. My fracture risk factor is : HIGH.

I did not know that sugar had anything to do with arthritis or arthritis symptoms ???

My sister has RA but she has lost weight and is keeping it off.

: - )

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi Ann Morgan,

Sugar is a substance that increases the risk of inflammation throughout the body and that includes arthritis and Crohn's inflammation.

Here's a link to a slideshow I found identifying foods to typically avoid if dealing with arthritis
SOURCE: http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/foods-to-avoid-with-arthritis#1
High amounts of sugar in the diet result in an increase in AGEs, which, as discussed in an earlier slide, can result in inflammation.

What you can do: Cut out candies, processed foods, white flour baked goods, and sodas to reduce your arthritis pain.
I've done a DEXA scan of my joints over a year ago (I requested one after so much time on prednisone in the past). The results did not seem to be an issue but I have been working out more frequently than usual and the intensity and type of activities seem to have triggered the start of arthritis (which is not uncommon...runners are even more likely to have something like this happen). So at the recommendation of my doctors I've adjusted the intensity level and frequency of bootcamps I was doing and now focus more on cardio, walking, pilates and am learning a little bit of yoga...all of which are good for the joints.

That's great your sister managed to get some of the weight off...it shows you that it is possible with a bit of work for sure! Congrats to her :)