• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ow, mouth ulcers!!!!!!!

R

ruthymg

ow, mouth ulcers!!!!!!!

oooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 3 mouth ulcers and my tongue is really sore. I have one on each cheek and one really sore one on the left hand side of my tongue. I also have 2 little yellow spots at the back of my throat on the right hand side, on my tonsil and thought this may have been tonsilitis but I have since learnt that tonsilitis spots are white!!! Does anyone know if these yellow spots are to do with the crohns or the meds I am currently on?
I take 100mg Imuran and 3000 - 4000mg Pentasa plus an anti anxiety and 3 mebeverine tabs a day (anti wind)

I have had these type of spots before, in fact I've had them a few times. I hope I don't have a throat infection as I'm having a general anaesthetic tomorrow.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,
Please let us know how everything goes tomorrow.
As far as the mouth sores, I get them and they seem to go hand in hand with Crohn's.
At times they seem to appear before a flare
and other times just appear for no known reason at all.
They can be quite painful and bothersome.
My doctor prescribed a mouth wash and also a tube of 'paste like gunk' :lol:
to dab on them...it has a bit of cortisone in it and that helps.

I would have them looked at before any proceedure tomorrow though.
All the best,
Hugs~Nancy

Funny thing is that mouth ulcers were my first Crohn's symptom... not much can help them, sucks I know. I hope everything gets better soon, even though they are small idiots, they hurt massively.

I used to get terrible mouth ulcers/sores but when I started taking probiotics daily that has kept them at bay, probiotics are known to do that since mouth ulcers/sores are typically a response of bacterial overgrowth (IBDers are prone to bacterial overgrowth), with the probiotics bringing natural gut flora balance to the system, it aids with keeping mouth sores/ulcers at bay...I used to get them frequently before taking probiotics now since taking them daily for the last couple of yrs, not once have I gotten any.

It's also helped with CD symptoms as well.

:)

L

laura2002

I also get ulcers like this from time to time, and my doctor prescribed a dental paste that works wonderful. It's tasteless, but can take a few times to get used to. It's called Triamcinolone Acetonide Dental Paste. I use a q-tip to apply it to the sores in my mouth, and the pain instantly goes away.

tonya_n_ky

Hi Ruth,
I haven't had probs with mouth sores for a long time (knock on wood) but my grandmother use to have us rinse or mouth with warm salt water. It's suppose to help. I hope they're feeling better or gone by now. And also hope that everything went well with your tests. Take Care :)

R

ruthymg

its ok they don't hurt so bad now, but thanks for all the replies.

Ruth

L

leighhi27

Hi,

I have had terrible mouth ulcers too. When i am on antibiotics for Crohn's I tend to get them. Nothing much helps except diflucan, because they are a form of yeast infection. I have had mouth ulcers so bad that i have had to have diflucan given to me by IV. The diflucan tablets work too but take longer. Maybe your doctor can give you a prescription. Hope this helps.

Leigh

Hi Mazen :)

I take primadophilus reuteri made by natures way, it costs me 28.00 for 90 caps and only one/day is needed so it lasts me 3 months, it must be kept in the fridge though...it has guaranteed intestinal release, I tried Iflora but never noticed it making things any better so I'm sticking with the primadophilus for now (it'll be 2 yrs since I started taking it daily). Definitely google it for more info :)

It's pretty much cleared up my lactose intolerance problems and mouth ulcers/sores as well...it helped my CD toilet wise too, instead of my BM's lingering on throughout the whole day and into the evening, I pretty much go about 5X/day max within the first couple of hours of getting up in the morning, on occassion I'll go agaoin in the early eve depending on how early I get up for the day.

Hi
I take VSL#3 probotic and this one to has to be refridgerated. Ive noticed a big difference in my bms too about 4 xs a day. and they are more formed,not runny.I have tried florastor too but dosnot work as well as the VSL#3.Thats because florasror only has 259mg of yeast and vsl#3 has 450mg.The flora has a banana flavor and vsl#3 is just plain yucky tasting.So when i drink it I hold my breath.
I just bought some Danone Activia yogourt and it has some probiotic in it. Taste like crap but, it works.
Later

R

ruthymg

Yeah, I keep meaning to start with the activia things or some sort of probiotic but haven't got round to it yet. I've thought about trying aloe vera too, have you tried that Tammy?

Ruth

Hi ruthy :)

You should really get some good probiotic caps and start taking them as soon as you can, it really can help, there's even been research regarding probiotic and IBDers.

ruthymg said:
Yeah, I keep meaning to start with the activia things or some sort of probiotic but haven't got round to it yet. I've thought about trying aloe vera too, have you tried that Tammy?

Ruth

No I havnt trid aloe vera.Is that like a green leaf that some people rub on them when they have sunburns?
Later

R

ruthymg

Not sure Tammy, I just know that you can get it in drink form and it supposed to aid the digestive system.

Ruth