• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain after eating

the past....4 meals, like 5 mins after i eat i get horrible pains, i think in my STOMACH stomach though. it is high up, like a couple inches down from my sternum. then it kinda radiates to my back and dissapates eventually.
im pretty sure it has nothing to do with my ileo, im still pooing normally and have no signs of obstruction or anything.

so like...what? ulcer in my stomach maybe?? i have never really had pains in that spot before....pains WHILE eating cuz of ulcers in my esophagus. but this is after.

idk anybody know what im sayin?

it is a terrible feeling of impending....explosion almost. ugh.

Do you still have your gallbladder? Back before I had my gallbladder taken out I would get something that felt like that. It was freaking awful!

i've been having something sort of similar but it doesn't radiate back. it feels more like bloating. it happens awhile after i eat too. and in that same area---upper abdomen under ribs. it freaks me out but it seems to be better since i cut out bready type food.

do tell if you figure anything out about it!!

rissa

diagnosed w/UC 8 years ago
no meds
flare for the last 4 months or so

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Used to happen to my sister who has crohns as well. She had stomach ulcers. She just lives with the pain though cause she doesn't really believe in modern medicine actually helping people.

I have pain there every time I drink milk cause I'm lactose intolerant. Usually feels like I swallowed broken glass. If it happens with anything you eat then see the ol doc again but if its like my situation then its not much of a concern.

Silvermoon

If it's only about 5 minutes after eating, i would have to say gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) - feels like heartburn (not sure if you have experienced heartburn or not).

Gallbladder pain "normally" shows up about half and hour to and hour after eating, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.... like ANYTHING in our bodies is "normal"! LOL!!

One way to check would be to try some Tums or Rolaids when it happens, see if it eases at all.... if it does, then i would say ask your doc about GERD.

I have the same kind of pain and no (usual) flare symptoms. Because pepcid helped, the current theory we're working under is that the Entocort I was on caused build-up of stomach acid resulting in ulcer(s). I'm taking prilosec once a day for a month and see if that does it. I'll keep you posted.

Lilly

PS I don't have a gall bladder; had that out years ago before Crohn's.

Regular Joe

Hi Kello82,

I have those types of upper GI pains after eating on occasion still. Once it was a partial small intestinal blockage years ago. I now have them that sometimes correspond with my flaring cramps - if the flaring is very severe, I get the upper GI pain too, along with nausea that will lead to vomiting because the pain is so bad. That's what happened when this flare onset last year. Completely hurts in my upper GI, like it's in my stomach, and they are sharp, very sharp and hurt like all heck.

I have two conditions I know of that cause these...one is a healing esophagal ulcer - like you had.

The other condition is "non-specific gastritis" in my stomach which is essentially an inflammation that could become an ulcer. Again, people with IBD are dead ringers for this condition, especially if you have upper GI Crohns. Certain foods make this worse. Both the healing esophagal ulcer and the non-specific gastritis respond well to prilosec and/or x-tra strength zantac, that is for me anyhow. I usually see improvements within 20 minutes with zantac. Takes longer for prilosec.

I say you buy some Gas-X pills that you take after eating...this prevents gas and bloating which as usually the main reason for stomach pain. If the pain persists, then its another things...most likely an ulcer. If so, take Zantec and schedule an appointment with your GI doc.

I've had pain like that after eating I felt like I could feel my food moving around in my stomach. The Dr. prescribed Carafate and it really helped. If is going to your back from you RUQ I would probably suspect GB. But with you Kello I would call my Dr. either way.
Bethy

ah sorry i never came back! thanks for all the replies guys!

GERD: i have had an on/off relationship with gerd lol. starting with a side effect of the pred years and years ago and then stuck around for a hella long time. i was on prevacid for a long time, but after my ostomy surgery the reflux seemed to calm down. but i get ulcers in my esophagus. not sure if they are related or if theyre 2 separate probs.

ok so on...friday? i got more bloods drawn (had them done on thurs too haha) cuz they wanted a lypase and amylase count? i forget what those are but they are either gall or pancreas related. i didnt get to talk to my GI but i got to chat with the PA and they were thinking, like some of you mentioned as well, that it could be my gallbladder or pancreas. see tho, it doesnt matter how fatty the food is that i eat. like, i ate a large mcd's fries and didnt hurt too much. and then another time i have like rice or something benign and it kills!
for the most part it has been after i eat, and then passes within a couple hours of eating. but the "episode" i am having now has lasted since last night. never stopped. gets better and worse, but never let up.
i massage my tummy and somtimes that makes my stoma squirt and move things around a bit. and today when i changed my appy i even got my pinky in there to feel if something was stuck and nope. i didnt think so cuz i have been pooing normally as ever.

NOW, like a month ago or so, i had a terrible pain in my chest/rib area that nearly parylyzed me. i wrote about it somewhere around here. i was diagnosed with "benign chest wall pain" (come ON really?!), but seriously, that night i thought i HAd to be passing a stone or soemthing. could it BE my gall? ughh idkk.

anways. i have a sonogram scheduled for tue, thats the earliest they could do me, i think theyre gonna check out my gall for sure and maybe some other stuff idk. hopefully that will tell! if not i think im gonna ask my GI for yet another endsocopy, see is he can see anything in my tummy.

kk thanks everyone!

hey there, sorry its still acting up for you.

When my gallbladder was bad it didn't matter what I ate. Sometimes it hurt really bad, others it didn't. I also had the chest pains and got freaked out. They told me that the pain sometimes gets deferred. Hopefully they find out what's wrong and can fix it. What's going on with you sounds a lot like what happened to me when mine was bad. Feel better soon.

Amanda