• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain after surgery

Hi am now 7 weeks post surgery (July 9th ).i am ok isn't, I have had a Ileo colonic resection,my fourth op,now with only just over a metre of small bowel left, but attached to my large bowel, so Gastro said not so bad,on my right side, where I normally have the problems is fine ,but am now finding I am getting pain top end above my belly button Top area where my incision finishes on the left side of my scar,it feels quite swollen under my skin on left side, not only that my gut is continually making dreadful noises although I have liquid and air mixed together and it's gushing through,although only been once today, To be honest I was told to take loperamide and its really been bloating me out and hurting my scar, so today I have left loperamide off and I am getting awful noises, I am getting quite worried now as I am feeling really uncomfy especially the one side of my scar which is really hurting me and the dreadful noises, it sounds like a water going down a plug hole,and yet when I feel like I need to use the toilet I am just passing wind and the part that hurts me,I can feel the wind gushing through, I am just hoping its not a hernia forming again.any suggestions or could it be my insides still healing. Thanks

Hi Trish, just wondering how you're doing now? I've been away with no internet for a couple of weeks, so got to catch up now! Hope you are feeling a bit better now? Did you manage to see your gastro or surgeon or anyone about this? Sorry I can't help more, my first surgery is in a few weeks. But I've just had my pre-op appt where the Dr said to expect at least 6 weeks before the join is all healed up. I'd ask someone about it though if you haven't yet and it's still painful. x

Hi,am off to my G.P again his morning because I think this maybe Gastritis,it's an awful burning sensation,and feeling bloated did not help the situation,I did get an appt at he hospital yesterday at the IBD clinic but Dr there did not have my notes,so he told me to leave Questran/loperamide off incase it was trapped gas,There is no way this is trapped gas as I have been going to the toilet and passi wind as well as faeces.
I have got this morning and I have this pain and it really feels like my stomach now to be honest, Really don't know how much more of this I can take, I am so down,and wished to God I had not opted for this op,cannot believe that I was helped to be talked into this op having a stricture which they said was 5cm and ended up with just 1.4 metres of small bowel left, yeah I may have most of my large bowel left,but that is not stopping me get mineral defficances and these sorts of probs that's its bringing me now.
I am really down at the moment as you can't see,and I seem to be getting nowhere fast.
If I don't get any joy this morning at GP I will make another appt at hospital next Tuesday for IBD Clinic.

Oh no, I'm sorry you're still not feeling very good. Hope the new tablets from the GP help and you feel better very soon. Keep going back to the GP / IBD clinic until they sort you out! I'm sure once you're not in pain anymore you'll feel a whole lot better. Try and remember that they would only have taken out what they needed to (although I think they should have explained beforehand how much small bowel they'd be leaving you with, and the possible consequences of that; maybe it would help you feel better about it if you queried it with them now?)

Yes I intend to when I see my normal Gastro, I have had to phone my IBD nurse up this morning as the pain is so bad,I am constantly walking round holding my left side under my left breast and ribs and constantly rubbing.My husband seems to think I suffered these sort of problems after my last bowel op and they put it down to some sort of chonditritus,but I doubt if you only get that in one side of your rib cage,it certainly kicks up a bit when I eat as well,the pain becomes more intense,so am thinking stomach or part of my large bowel.I have taken another Lansoprazole this morning,that does ease the pain off so it's not as intense,but I cannot live this pain,it's dire.
I cannot believe that I have gone from having elective surgery with no crohns activity to this,,where I am suffering nothing but problems, I did start to put on weight,it's dropping off me like no ones business at present,this us what I cannot understand, when I went to clinic couple of days ago my weight was right back down again, Gastro could not really advise as he had no notes as I went as a emergency appt.I just keep telling myself that apart from my magnesium being slightly under at 0.67 (0.7 is the lower end of normal)she said all my other bloods were of nothing to be concerned about 11.7 my iron level (HB)and if I had anything serious first of all surgeon would of seen this as I had a 23cm open incision and secondly my bloods would be showing a problem, I think this is the way it works isn't it,I don't help myself by being stressful over it all,but I cannot plan,even going out,I feel as to I don't want to do anything,I just feel as though I am sinking.Thanks for letting me air how I feel,and this moment in time this pain is putting me in a bad place, I really ope to god that it is Gastritis,I think then I could probably cope better,Anyone know how long it takes for these Lansoprazole to work if it is. thanks Trish