• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain gets worse with stress

I have recently split up (a month) with my bf of 7 years and we have two kids together.

I have been on strong pain medication for a while now, but since i have split up with him i have found that the pain has eased alot and not requring such strong medication but i find that whne he phones me up gicving me abuse the pain comes back strong and i have to take the strong pain medication again. the abuse i happening every other day, just wondered if when stressed it can cause the pain to increase.

I have been to the police but unfortunatly because the abuse is all over phone calls and not via text there is nothing they can do unless i somehow record the calls. I have dowloaded an app on my phone today to do this and then they can do something about it hopefully. Its sad as we have two kids together so thought we could be civil but obviously not.

Just wondered if anyone else feels more pain when stresseda bout things.

Sorry your going through such a horrible time.
I too suffer from pain when I'm stressed or worried.
It can be a sudden pain when I'm suddenly stressed out. Almost like a reaction to the adrenalin.
You are not alone!

Pain definitely can increase with stress no matter the cause. I am so sorry you are dealing with this situation. Are there support services available that can help you stay emotionally and physically safe? Sending you lots of hugs!

SarahBear

Yup. Stress is a very common trigger for IBD symptoms. I often experience pain and discomfort during any stressful situations.

:hug: I'm sorry to hear what you've been dealing with, Stacey. Hopefully things will get a lot better for you now!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry for what you are going through but I am happy to hear that you have removed yourself from the situation and are taking necessary precautions to protect yourself. You'd be surprised how very hard it is for many people to do what you have done for your own well being.

Unfortunately stress can be a terrible contributor. Depending on the severity of stress, I can get immediate pains and immediate urgencies which is never fun.

I hope you can find some peace very soon. Be gentle with yourself during all of this, finding ways to relax/relieve stress is very essential during stressful periods such as this.

Stay strong!
:hug:

I'm sorry you're going through this. Stay strong. You do not have to take his abuse. Tell him that if he is not civil on the phone you will hang up. Then do so. Or can you get a third party to be a go between? I left a long term abusive marriage before I got sick. You have to show him that you're not going to listen to his abuse any longer. Hang in there.

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this! Stress always increases my pain. In fact it's said that stress doesn't cause a flare but I swear it does for me. For your own sake, I would try to limit contact as much as possible to avoid as much aggravation as possible.
Good luck!

Also sorry you have to deal with this.
I definitely feel my stomach knotting up as my heart rate increases!
It is horrible but it gives me motivation to try and calm down - easier said than done obviously!

thanks guys, i am staying strong and have now changed my telephone number and had no abuse recently x

I saw my consultant the other day and she said i looks the best i have ever looked. Feel like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders and now i can live my life with my girls x