• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pain in hands -please help

Hi everyone, I have been suffering from mild crohn's since 1999, although it was first diagnosed as colitis and has only been verified as crohns for around 4 years. It has recently got worse, at christmas i was prescribed steroids for 5 months and azathioprine which i am still taking. My problem for the forum is my right hand - i have been suffering with pain and stiffness for about 3 months now. I finally went to my gp who referred me for a blood test and xray, both of which have come back "normal". I have read that arthritis can be crohns related - would this not show up on a "CRP" blood test? what should i do next - any advice? much appreciated, Sarah

I also have a lot of pain from arthritis in my hands. Went to a rheumatologist and they can prescribe you a medicine that may help. I however cannot take because I have had cancer and it is a risk for me. There are other things that can help too if you can take them. Hope you get some relief!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles :( At any point have they tested your vitamin B12 level? If so, what was it? If not, I suggest you do so as people with Crohn's are commonly deficient in B12 which can lead to peripheral neuropathy.

All my best to you.